Bontrager XR4 Tire

Light and fast rolling. Designed to out-corner any other tire on the market. Engineered for XC and Trail riders in loose and rocky conditions. Covered by Bontrager's Unconditional Performance Guarantee. Available in 2.20 or 2.35, wire bead, 60 TPI.

[May 30, 2013]
Vuco
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great all round traction and grip, work an all terrain for now, dry or wet

none so far (don't know the weight)

Came on my new Slash 8 2012 (should be 26x2.35" Expert issue). Thought I'll throw them away after the first ride and put on my trusted Schwalbe Albert 2.35, but they gave me a lot to think about, and for now - they have been remarkable in every situation.

Since the weather this year is not stable, in first 5-6 rides I got to run them in the dry and in wet, hard pack or loose soil, and specially in muddy conditions.
Rear tire has great traction while climbing and feels like no addition drag exists. If you keep spinning, they get you to the top and thats what it is all about. Wet rocks and roots also great (there are probably some tires that are better than them in the muddy conditions, but as all round tires, the Bontragers are worth every penny). Really, no whatsoever drawbacks or negatives up to date. Didn't even had a snake bite or a pinch flat (run them with tubes for now).

In the front also 5+. Braking, cornering great (don't like when tires get loose if you lean and then get the grip back as you get the side knobs in action), riding on wet roots and stones without a hitch. In muddy conditions the front slides but gets you in the direction you want.

Can't find a fault for now. Hope the rest of the Bontrager parts do as the tires (khm, wheelset).

Cant say nothing about durability since I'm ridding them for a month only. But for now don't see any fast wear on the rear especially.

Schwalbe Albert 2.25/2.35, Continental Rubber Queen 2.2, Geax DHea 2.3, WTB ExiWolf 2.1 (the best rear tire I had up to these Bontragers)

[Jan 26, 2013]
Dante M

OVERALL
Strength:

Long tread life (I'm on 4 years), ridiculously smooth and grippy cornering on DH pavement even in wet, controllable on dry dirt DH corners, OK for wet sand or mud, very fun in the snow. The tread, despite being ripped up from years of shredding will still cruise through the city smoothly, love these tires!

Thin side wall for DH, perfect for XC.

I would buy these tires again and again. Definitely for XC or DH mountain pass pavement runs and not hard core DH bike stuff as the sidewalls are thin. But this thinness is what allows the tire to be so light.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro (which were better at uphill gravel climbs)

[Sep 08, 2012]
Rafael

OVERALL
Strength:

Good rolling and fast tires. High volume, good for trail riding.

Weak side wall, hich punctured easily.

These came standard on my 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8, which I have owned for 8 months. I have been using them tubeless and running them at 36 PSI on the rear. Somehow the rear tire sidewall punctured after a small drop (don't remember hitting a rock). The thread is still good and I don't want to run different tires so I will give it a second chance but it seems that the side wall might be too thin. Will post again.

Several WTBs

[Jun 08, 2012]
jeorge

Strength:

[email protected]#K these tires. The knobs and compound is too soft. Washes out OFTEN! Does NOT handle loose or sandy terrain. Does NOT feel confident ever!

[email protected]#$ these tires! BURN EM!

schawalbe, kenda, intense, continental,

[May 29, 2012]
chichantes

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy. Great traction

A tad more rolling resistance than my old Maxxis.

Came stock on my 2012 EX 8. I do not plan on changing until they wear out, and might replace with the same thing.

[May 16, 2012]
jasonsmeall

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing grip, you don't feel any rolling resistance, look awesome on the bike!

Only thing I could say negative is the weight, they could be a little lighter.

I love these tires, purchased Bontrager XR4 26 x 2.20 at the start of the season. Currently have just short of 400kms of quick XC riding on them. I am now given the confidence to throw the bike into the corners, even a sandy one and push myself harder then I ever did last year! The more I ride on these tires the better they feel! These tires have helped me have the second best time on a segment on Strava, only to be out done by a Pro Rider / Racer by less then 25 seconds. Overall I would recommend these to anyone looking for a tire with great grip, yet not a huge budget maybe not the first choice for someone that wants a really light tire. Bontrager tires will be the first company I look into when I need to replace these XR4’s.

Hutchinton Bulldog 26 x 2.21

[Aug 24, 2011]
RCOSpeedwagon

OVERALL
Strength:

Tire bead makes installation and removal quite easy. Rolls quite well and is relatively quite on pavement considering the substantial tread.

These tires do not perform well when wet. After water crossings, the tires slip on dry rocks and dry roots far worse than any tire I have used in the past (using this tire as front and back). Additionally, picks up and retains loamy and muddy soil, i.e. does not shed well at all.

Bought these tires to get by for the rest of the season. After this season concludes I will be searching for a new tire setup and put these on my spare bike. I would not recommend these tires.

Specialized S-Works Purgatory, Specialized The Captain Control, Panaracer Fire XC.

[Aug 01, 2011]
Orembiker
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Not a whole lot of rolling resistance

Weak Sidewalls, bad grip on dry dirt. Consistently washing out and pinch flatting.

I'm searching reviews right now for replacement tires. I'm stick on pinch flatting. I've had to run these at lower PSI because they keep washing out on the cornering.

They seem to do great on the uphill, but I'm not riding uphill enough to make up for the weakness on the DH.

Kenda Nevegals, WTB, and a handful of others

[Feb 21, 2011]
stompeinator

OVERALL
Strength:

Long life, excellent grip, durable sidewalls, rolls well for a knobby tire

none so far

Great tire. I've ridden these at whistler, northstar, and climbed thousands of vertical feet with them to reach singletrack. They last a pretty long tome for a rear tire, goin on 8 months and i think i can squeeze a few more months out of them, and they lock up great in most soil conditions. Very predictable tire, highly recommended for all mountain applications

wtb, kenda, you name it

[Feb 05, 2011]
cyk

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Extremely grippy
2. Directional to run less rolling resistance or more traction
3. Can be used front or rear
4. Can be run tubeless
5. Large volume in the 2.2" size give a lot of bouyancy
6. Long lasting
7. Inexpensive

1. A bit heavy

With the XR4's overall traction, longevity, and cost, I would have no problems recommending it for all-mountain type use for the rider who is willing to give up a bit in weight for performance in every other category. The most similar to the Kenda Nevegal in traction, but far better than the Kenda for longevity.

1. Kenda Nevegal
2. Continental Trail King
3. Continental Mountain King
4. Maxxis Larsen TT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.