Bontrager XR1 Expert Tire

The XR1 is an ultra-fast rolling, cross country race tire ideally suited for dry, dusty conditions. The Expert mountain bike tire features a foldable bead and has tightly spaced central knobs and an open outer tread design for plenty of fast-rolling traction plus powerful grip on dusty surfaces.

[Jun 07, 2016]
Cayenne_Pepa

OVERALL
Strength:

~ Never spun out on techy climbs
~ Blazing fast, as rear tire
~ Thick sidewalls
~ Mounts tubeless on first shot of air
~ Zero leakdown overnight

~ Continental Race King
~ Schwalbe Racing Ralph
~ Michelin Wild Race'R
~ WTB Nine Line Race

Thanks to thicker sidewalls and 60a durometer casing, tire resists punctures tubeless. If you race - go with the
lighter Team Issue version.

~ Specialized S-Works Fast Trak LK
~

[Jul 17, 2014]
tigris99

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling, ease of tubeless setup, low weight.

rubber thin/soft in tread area, easy got thorns to get through.

Coming from kenda karma 1.9 for rear tire. This is 2.0 as my rear with xr2 expert 2.2 front.

Easy tubeless setup. Nice low weight and rolls really fast. As Ive read on the previous versions (29-1 which is actually same tire with new name) its said traction is bad unless dry conditions. I beg to differ. First ride was damp hardpack, roots etc, and tire held great. Even under braking power when decending. No complaints at all with this tire except seems rubber is kinda overly soft in tread area, thorns get through really easy. Noticed to spots of sealant that hadnt fully dried when I got home (really humid out that day). Tire was sealed just the 2 wet greenish spots. But thats the point of being tubeless, damn thorns lol. Tire was a major improvement over my kenda karma for rolling and for the fact sidewall is thicker/better for only a very slight increase in weight over the karma 1.9 (540g vs 520g).

Havent seen how this does outside of rooted, occasional rocks on hardpack of my local trails but does great here. Being Im a clyde I get by with a bit less knobs in the rear so take this as you will with that in mind.

[Nov 03, 2013]
wfo922
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast rolling, seats tubeless very well on Stan's flow ex rims

Braking traction is minimal

Mounted on the rear of my SS 29'r. Riding done mostly in the PNW during spring-summer time conditions.

It's always a positive sign when you have a nice tight bead and one that seals right up with minimal fuss. My thinking is that if the bead is tight the chances of burping are less. Tire is a 2.2 width and it looks true to size.

Four months of solid riding have not fazed this tire. I have found that not all tires work on the rear of a SS. A SS tire has to have enough bite that when standing it responds with traction, which this tire delivers. It's a little squirmy on wet stuff but rideable. Braking traction is the least of any tire I've ridden.

This tire is a keeper for me. I will use in most all conditions. The quality has won me over enough that I ordered some of bontragers more aggressive treads for our wet PNW winters.

Spesh fasttrack, captain, kenda sb8

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.