Bontrager Big Earl Tire

• Lightweight 2.5 version

[May 27, 2011]
victory65

OVERALL
Strength:

The grip and longevity.

None at this time.

This tire came with the bike stock and has been awesome! Very good grip in all conditions. I can ride with lower pressure and increase the grip. I am now thinking of switching the fron to the rear due to 2 plus years of hard riding, including pavement! Not one pinch flat! THe only flat I encountered was from the tube stem, and that was one time. I keep a spare tube just in case, but only needed that one time. Two thumbs up for this tire.

Other Bontrager tires.

[Jul 21, 2009]
Xer

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, longevity, amazing durability. I ride HARD (big drops, big jumps, rocky trails, fast downhill, you name it) and have not gotten a single flat tire in 2 years of riding. I don't ride much pavement so the tread is still good to go even after 2 years! Grip is fantastic in wet conditions, after all it is classified as a "wet" tire. Dry grip is very good but I don't have a lot to compare with. This tire was a bit too wide for my frame and it actually wore down the frame before the tire wore down, it is that durable. One of the other reviews mentioned a bunch of pinch flats, either he had the wrong size rim or something funky with his setup because this tire has been absolutely unstoppable.

Dry grip I suppose, if in very dusty or sandy conditions, but that is only in comparison to the stellar wet grip. I'm stretching to find a weakness.

I didn't expect much from a Bontrager tire but I have been thoroughly impressed and will definitely consider getting another set if these ones ever wear out. My front tire still looks almost new! Highly recommended.

Panaracer DH, various BMX tires e.g. Tioga Comp IIIs

[Apr 30, 2007]
Chad VB

OVERALL
Strength:

Sidewall strength... at 210lb i have pinch flatted the rear once. I also made a 1 inch flat spot in the rim from that same incident. I don't know what "rider" was talking about. They seem to grip well in general conditions.

Don't shed mud real well, they get caked up fairly quickly and if you aren't flying they won't spit the mud back off. It was only a problem when i was just riding out to the trail through some mud and came to a stop cause the tires were spinning.

Pretty good tires, they keep the tube from flatting well (much much much much better than the Kendas). I believe they are fairly expensive to buy by themselves. I probably would try something else if I was buying new tires but could see coming back to these again.

Also... drop the psi a little bit on these tires. probably 3 or 4 psi less than what you think you want. Will save you a crash or two while you get them dialed in.

WTB, Kenda Kinetics

[May 14, 2007]
bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip nice

Tread had no life

Good traction, lacked on longevity.

Just replaced rear tire w/ a Kenda Blue Groove John Tomac Series.

[Aug 03, 2006]
Ricky

OVERALL
Strength:

weight,cornering,fast rolling

durabilty

These tires have surprised me so far they have a good fast rolling patch and corner very well at moderate to high speeds.The only downside is the durabilty the center knobs seem wear down a little faster than I would like.
But for the price and performance you can't go wrong

specialized enduros,irc kujos,wtb weir wolfs

[Jun 22, 2006]
Sho

OVERALL
Strength:

it sticks to anythings. rock faces, roots, steep inclines even with my weight on the front.

doesn't roll very fast but i haven't ridden on anything as wide as these 2.7s. the 2.7s are the same width as the WTB TimberWolf 2.5s

i ride on the shore. it sticks to everthing. my brakes feel weak its got such good grip. awesome tires bottom line. its pretty cheap. i got mine on sale but i would definitely pay the full price and more. Bontrager may not be a name that first comes to mind for even second, but very very good tires. they did their research. i haven't ridden these to notice how they wear yet

nokains...

[Jun 02, 2006]
seej

OVERALL
Strength:

roll fast and sick cornering in the 2.7s

Great tires! The stigma was there for me with the bontrager name but if you are a real freerider that loves going fast between the stunts try these. I cant say they are the best, but they are pretty friggen sweet. YESSSSSS

all of em

[May 01, 2006]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling res. compered to other 2.5 tires, very good cornering & grip on dry conditions.

fast wear - took about 6 months of 2-3 weekly rides, 20-30 KM long to wear down.
hard to install on the rim if used as a tubeless tire.
a bit flexy on narrow rims.

very good tire, very good value for money.

Maxxis, WTB, Hutchinson

[Jul 19, 2006]
Alex Cheney

OVERALL
Strength:

All around great tire good for muddy conditions as well as sand. I have the 2.5 and they roll ok on pavement for a DH tire, but all around I like them alot.

Well I really havent ridden on too many DH tires so I havent found any yet.

I like these tires alot! I will admit I am a lite weight guy so I havent had any problems with flats. However, I rode these tires at the 2006 U.S. open at diablo freeride park in the super wet mudd and crazy rock gardens and they worked great. I have also ridden them in northern michigan in pure sand and they also do very well. Im not really a bontrager fan but I will admit I like the tires and I have herd simmular comments from fellow riders who feel the same towards bontrager.

2.35 Specialized tires off P2

[Apr 27, 2006]
Alec Pym

OVERALL
Strength:

Gumbi bi compund 2.4 grippy grippy grippy
Good on roots rocks loose stuf ..average in mud but i dont like the wet any way
Light for this size tyre about 800 grames

None really unlessyou like your mud.

Good tyre for the money ohhh did i say they were well cheap at Evans cycles £16.00

Conti verticals, gravity, WTB weirwolfe Nokian NBX

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.