Weinmann 519 Rims Rim

Weinmann 519 Rims

[Jun 03, 2018]
yowsaboss

OVERALL
Strength:

Who knows if there are any strengths besides price? ...It only lasted 3 or 4 urban street rides

3 spokes broke after 3 or 4 rides

Purchased:
New
[Dec 23, 2013]
Mike kahn

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Durable

Off Road

If have had these for 14 years on my hybrid with no problems. My weight has been from 200-250lbs. I use these for pavement riding only. Having read the reviews, it appears they are not strong enough for off road use. If you plan on street riding, they are fine.

[Jun 18, 2012]
Walter

OVERALL
Strength:

This rim which is BLACK, and selected by my local bike sshop from the basment invetory has held up GREAT! I ride streets and urban trails, hop and pop curbs and jump curbs at 15 mph sometimes and have had No problem! Aswsome rims for the money! Intended for urban use!

Dont hit curbs head on!

Read the STRENGHS!

[Feb 21, 2012]
JAM

OVERALL
Strength:

Integrity of the rim - It has held it's shape very well since 2000, and I ride it every chance I get!
Braking surface, with a properly setup Avid SD7 Vee Brake, I am able to match and often beat many lower line disc setups. Promise, Vee's are still viable contenders and the braking surface provided by this rim has been exceptional, I think it's the greatest strength of this rim.

Single wall! I have put about 2 deformations/bends in the rear rim and 1 in the front. Although I still ride the rims and they handle/brake fine so it's a weakness that the rim still overcomes!

But by no means is this a "Strong" rim - trust me I practice trials riding on it!

I think the strength of the rim is perceived 50% as the rim and 50% as the wheel build. If the wheel is built on your bike and it tacos, how can you blame the rim? If you had all the spokes attache and dropped your weight on the bike into a curb the rim will bend, it cannot take blunt force to the exterior. The rims job is to transfer the force through the spokes. Hey if it's still going on my stock 2000 specialized bike, they ought to be at least adequate right?!

So I would say as a rim, this is good! It has GREAT braking surface that doesn't fade and produces reliable braking. However it is weak, so it is good for ATB, and XC. No on DH and freeride.

Alex MX 22, DM 19, Bontrager, All steel 70's rims, Dx 32, etc.

[Aug 19, 2011]
Santos
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

DURABLE!

NOTHING!

After 11 years, I Hit a curb going 26mph and a spoke got dented and so did a spoke. I abused these rims and honestly they were amazing.

[Feb 05, 2011]
paul
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

not on strength about it

can not even hold a little tail whip

this is a waste of money might of well go to walmart to buy a rim my stock rim was way stronger than 519

[Oct 22, 2010]
currentresident

OVERALL
Strength:

This rim last about twice as long on the breaking surface than the araya VP20 and no name rims of similar construction.

Tires are a bit harder to put on and seat than rims of the same width. Weinmann should make this rim with 40 and 48 holes.

I have settled on single wall rims after having several failures with double wall rims. The weinmann rims have never failed even though I get only 5000 miles out of solid 10mm axles on the rear.

Araya VP20 and no name copies

[Jul 19, 2010]
Jim Collins

OVERALL
Strength:

Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

519 Weinmann back rear spokes and gear spokes

I ride all over Michigan and I have had nothing but bad luck with this rim. This is my second rim in two months and the spokes keep breaking. I do not recommend every buying this rim 519 weinmann ever. Piece of garbage and shame on the company for selling such a bad product, what will it take someone getting hurt or killed before they stop selling this piece of garbage.

[Aug 09, 2009]
John Purkey

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Good for someone who rides a bike one or two miles every once in awhile.

Rims spokes are inferior metal.

This is the second Weinmann rim I have owned. Only ride on the smooth road, do not ride on bumpy trails. Had the rim less than a month. Rode the bike fifty miles and a spoke on the gear side broke. Had it replaced. Rode less than twenty five miles and another spoke on the gear side broke. Spokes are cheapy made and they don't last. Will not buy another Weinmann rim if manufacturer doesn't make it right. The bike shop owner said that bike spokes break all the time, just not made the way they use to be. Common complaint of cyclists. This is unacceptable.

Mongoose

[Apr 30, 2008]
Lyle

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable

I have beat the hell out of these rims for TEN years now and I weigh 220lbs, jumps, curbs, you name it. The front one just recently finally got a tiny bit of warp but that's after 10 years! All this time no loose spokes or any maintainence. The 519s came on the GT and have proven to be very durable.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.