Velocity Synergy 29 Rim

A light weight eyeletted cross country rim with an asymmetric design for the rear wheel and a symmetric front to match.

[Dec 28, 2012]
A shop owner

OVERALL
Strength:

The idea of this rim is good. Off center is a good idea, 23mm is a good idea, eyelets are a good idea. It should be great, but there is a major flaw in manufacturing.

I have built 4 of these rims and all 4 have come back with cracks around the eyelets, including my own rim. Each wheel lasted 1-1.5 year or so under normal usage. The only good thing is that Velocity warranties this rim without question, but not the time to rebuild the wheel. And is the new rim better or will I have to rebuild the rebuild in another year?

I have had fine success with the NON-OC version...steer clear of this OC rim. I am more of a fan of Sun Rims at the moment for touring/commuting/29er.

[May 06, 2011]
grmilefsky

OVERALL
Strength:

I was looking for a good commuter/touring rim and I love Velocity stuff, so I found the Synergy. This rim will remind you of an Open Pro, but better. Two major pluses are the 23mm wide profile and the off center rear rim. The 23mm width does not much increase durability, but it does make the tire more stable and increase versatility, a big factor in my decision. A side note: you could run 23c with this rim, the trend is that a wider platform provides a more stable tire. Velocity, Zipp, DT Swiss are all making 23mm rims for 23c tires.

The off center rear was a huge factor for me. I like the idea of decreasing the dish and having an even spoke tension throughout the wheel. I wanted worry free wheels and what better way to do that than with an OC rear? Why more manufacturers don't do this, I am unsure.

None so far. There are some reports that these rims run small but I have not run into that issue.

If you need a durable wheel for commuting or touring, this is your wheelset. Have your LBS build you a set. At 496g/rim it is not as light as other options, but marginally and what you lose in speed you gain in stability. Not sure of the merits for a 29er, but an OC front and regular rear might be the way to go, although there are other 29er specific rims out there.

Mavic CXP22, Weinman rims

[Nov 12, 2006]
JmZ

OVERALL
Strength:

Light
Asym Design
Available (more below)
Multiple colors

Pinned instead of welded, not a huge issue

These were easy to build up, were very close to advertised weight, and have held up to about 2 years of my riding with only one touch of the spoke wrench.

Ended up trying these based on Mike G's reccommendation after having a very difficult time getting a Bontrager Mustang Rim locally.

Very pleased with the replacement. It was cheaper to purchase than the Bontrager, and has held up equally as well as the other two Bonti's I've had.

It's on the list of rims to look at when the next wheel-build comes around.

Mavic, Ritchey, Bontrager, Sun, Ayra (sp?)

[May 19, 2006]
Pete Hall

OVERALL
Strength:

Good finish on rim
nice machined sidewalls
asymetric rear rim reduces spoke tension on drive side

could stand to lose a bit of weight, but its not to bad

I originaly got these through a former race team I was on for free, and decided to build them up with some Dt swiss/hugi 240 hubs with wheelsmith spokes (radial front, 3x rear). it was my first wheel build. aysmetric rims are tough to build up but work great. anyway, they hold up great with minimal need for truing, with no sidewall cracking or anyproblems with the eyelets. After a year on my single speed they are carring me to class at U of M and doing great. A recomended rim that is a heck of a value (even when you dont get them for free!) Velocity is a great company as well with great customer service that works with you!

mavics, Bontragers, Shimanos

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.