Velocity Deep V Rim

Deep V

[Jun 30, 2010]
hunold

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, reliable (as in tandem-worthy)

none (make sure you buy tubes with long valve stems)

I trust these rim going downhill with a 500+ total tandem weight at speeds above 45 mph. Paired with Specialized Armadillo tires and a 10-inch brake rotor in the back, these rims match the high end Calfee frame

[Jul 22, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

very strong, pretty colors in powder coat or anodized, tough side walls

too narrow for am mtb to heavy for much else

These are tough to bend. Good bang for your buck rim as long as you don't have to worry about pinch flats do to the narrow profile. Would recommend this for cyclocross, commuters, hip fixies, and heavy road riders.

alex rims, mavic

[Oct 29, 2001]
Biker animal
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong nice looks machined sidewalls cheep paid £130 for them laced onto 98 hope big uns with dt spokes

sidewalls are too weak bent it inwards on the last step of a 15 stair jump (but to be fair anything except a d321 would do this) also me not having enough speed to carry through the jump and also pinch flats with 45 -55 psi in them i think this is due to there no to wide profile

nice rims for freeriders looking for nice strong rims thet can take vee brakes but want to have a break from the norm (mavic) although its has been taking the street abuse i have given it 15 + stairs and with botched landing this rim is good and if they dont last me to long for the price i paid for rims and hubs the rims were a bonus i only wanted the hubs so im going to run this rim into the ground i prefer the non pinch flat wide d321

mavic D521 cd 321 cd 521 ceramic sun ditchwitch fir ritchey rock ocr comp

[Jan 31, 2002]
Scott K
Downhiller

Strength:

Strength
Looks

As a follow up to an earlier post, I now have three different sets of velocity rims each for a different bike. They original set I have is holding up without a problem, after years of trials riding, including 6 - 7 foot drops to flat concrete. In response to anyone complaining about the 'weak' sidewalls. You are not running enough tire pressure- it is not Velocity's fault, it is your own fault. It happened to me once- I dropped a burly rock face, flatted and the rim bent in slightly. If I was running enough tire pressure i wouldn't have flatted in the first place (not to mention if i was running any other rim it would have been completely wasted, not just a tweaked sidewall). I put an adjustable wrench to the rim, straitened it out, and they have been running perfectly ever since. If you are looking for a strong rim buy a velocity.

No other rim compares.

[Feb 07, 2003]
Seeker

OVERALL
Strength:

Offered in assymmetric rear rim model in 28,32,36 holes, front offered as symmetric, same drillings. Many colors available, anodize or powdercoat finish. Reasonable weight. Allows one to customize wheelset to user and conditions.

Poor quality control. High percentage of rims defective at seam. Overall poor seam joint, poor seam alignment, builds into a wheel with a hump at the seam. Cracked eyelet during build (or came cracked and didn't notice it beforehand).

This review is for the SYNERGY model. No significant use so far, will followup later. Comments based on buildup of rims into new wheelset only.

As stated above, very customizable wheel. Assym rear
builds into stronger wheel.

My gripe is the poor QC on this product. Bought 4 rims, 3 were somewhat defective. Worst seam connection/alignment of any rims i've used in years. Rim meets up crooked at seam, gaps in sidewalls at seam(not welded). Built wheels exhibit a hump in roundness at seam, either due to mismatch of rim ends or inadequate bending at rim ends prior to joining. Must tension the crap out of spokes at the seam area to take out the hump, and even then its still there.

I also found a split eyelet in one of the rims (not pulled out of rim, but split on interior side.

Two other rims I built at this time from another manufacturer (WTB) were flawless and built-up better. And these were significantly less expensive than the Velocity rims.

Sent worst rim back to Velocity, they replaced it under warranty ASAP, great CS. I spoke to two folks at Velocity about the rim seam issue, they were evasive in their responses, it appeared they were trying to hide a known quality issue. I'm surspect there's more out there in inventories.

I should note that my two Cane Creeks use velocity rims (similar to Synergy model but no eyelets), and those are flawless. I guess they get the "first quality" rims.

mavic, sun, wtb, araya, wolber

[Jul 31, 2001]
Ben

OVERALL
Strength:

V-section, never out of true, strong.

The sidwalls aren't rock solid.

These are solid rims. I race slalom, do lots of abusive riding, and these rims have yet to get knocked out of true! It's pretty impressive. I will say, in all honesty, that the sidewalls are not super solid. I have dinged them in a few times, but, and this is the cool part: I take an adjustable wrench, and bend the sidewall back out. Then, I don't notice any difference.
Plus, these things come in some sweet looking colors. The benefit of being able to run a very light spoke is nice. Plus, that v-section lets you run a shorter spoke as well.
So, go ahead, buy these rims. They're awesome. Have somebody good build them up, and you'll love them.

Mavics are S H I T, bontragers(the mustangs are tops), spin, spinergy spox, tioga, azonic.

[Mar 18, 2001]
Matt Seredine

OVERALL
Strength:

looking cool strong with a strong hub these rims are the sh!t

Some what weak sidewalls but not to weak

these rims are one of the strongest rims out there and if your smart and put a good hub on them you souldnt have any problems with the setup

Mavics many models and some sun rims

[Sep 22, 2000]
josh

OVERALL
Strength:

strong as hell, and looks cool!!!!!!

heavy, but if you can't break em, who cares about the weight..

I ran through two other rear rims in two months. the first one i taco'd on a jump, and the other one i just caved in(that was NOT cool). But after i put a deep V on the back of my bike, i haven't had any problems at all. i've cleared some stuff that i was sure would tear them to bits, but they are still up and running.

the only thing is the weight. i wouldn't use it as a front wheel, because you just don't need the heavy a wheel in the front, but for a rear wheel(were all the pounding goes on), i wouldn't use anything else....

weinmann, rolf

[Jun 29, 2001]
Jerome

Strength:

• Strength
• Not too expensive
• Look
• Choice of colors

• "V" shape
• Not offered in "disc-only" version

I saw these rims for the first time in a bike shop (which has since became my LBS) and was amazed, at first, by their look. The Deep-V shape was awesome to the eye, plus the rims were available in red (to match the color of my bike). So, I eagerly read the reviews here and, since they were mostly very positive, I opted for these rims (my other choice at the time being the Rhyno Lites). At first, they felt heavy (I was used to Mavics 517 that are almost 1/4 lb lighter...) but got used to the weight. Once the spokes settled in, the rims never ever showed any trueing problem whatsoever. I never had to touch them (or, in that case, to bring them to my LBS). The only problem I met was to find appropriate tubes for them. Michelin, Schwalbe and IRC, among others, make long (Presta) valve tubes... but they're harder to find in thicker DH type. Anyway, since then, I did some downhilling with these rims and putting a 2.5 tire in the front was no problem, even though they're quite narrow. The plus is that the V-Shape helps reduce the inner diameter of the wheels, making them stronger (I use a 3-cross patern with 14-gauge spokes). So, for now, I'm pretty satisfied with the Deep-Vs and would recommend them to anyone looking for great-looking, durable, versatile rims (light enough for cross-country but strong enough for light DH).

A lot

[Nov 10, 2000]
MAT DH/DS/XC

OVERALL
Strength:

DOESN'T BUCKLE AS EASY AS NORMAL RIMS

KINKS EASLY ON RIM WALLS

THESE RIMS ARE GREAT BUT COULD GO ONE FURTHER IN WALL STRENGTH

SUN RINGLE &

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.