Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch 29er Rim

The time-tested Stan's Arch rim gets a face lift into the ZTR Arch EX 29er 32H, as it grows in width from 24.4 to 24.6 and drops 20 grams in the transition.

[May 10, 2012]
babu

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, light for its intended use, uses regular, common, easy to find spokes, super easy to set-up tubeless.

None.

These rims are built around a DT Swiss 350 rear hub and a Cannondale Lefty SL front hub. They are being used on a Cannondale Flash 29er that sees extensive use in the NY/NJ/PA area. I weigh 145lbs. The wheelset was laced using DT Swiss SuperComp double butted spokes and alloy nipples. Although I could have gone with the lighter Crest rims for my type of riding, I chose the Arches because I wanted a stronger rim that will last and that will not have me worry about. The wheelset weighs in at 1850g, which is almost 400g lighter that the SunRingle Equalizer 25 that came on my bike. This is with the DT RWS bolt-thru rear axle. For the past 7 months I used the wheelset for all sorts of rides and endurance races on rocky East Coast terrain. The rims have stayed true and have not had any issues with the built whatsoever. Most probably this has a lot to do with the fact that the wheelset was handbuilt by a reputable builder (Thank you, Mike!). Furthermore, I know the rims received multiple rock hits on their walls, but with the exception of a few scratches, no complaints so far. The types of trails I ride don't have too many jumps, or better yet no big jumps or drops, but the Arches handled everything my XC trails had to offer. (actually there are some big drops, but I am not courageous enough to try them) One last thing: I am running the wheelset tubeless using Stan's brew, with Continental Race Kings ( great tires). No flats at all!!! There are many lighter options to choose from, but for this price I got a reliable, good overall quality wheelset that will provide many years of service.

All sorts of mountain bikes, FSs, HTs, rigids, 26rs, 29rs...

[Jul 27, 2010]
Mark_123

OVERALL
Strength:

light, strong, easy to go tubeless, stay true

Rim are stiff, stay true and allow use of non-tubeless tires to run tubeless. Good wheels make the single speed go, this will be my rim from now on.

Mavic Crosstrail

[Mar 15, 2010]
ZipsBiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, light, works great tubeless

none so far

I am primarily a trail/all mountain rider that likes to focus on going fast on technical downhill. I started racing and purchased these for my xc race bike. I have ridden 2 24 Hour of Moab events (among other races) on these where they took quite a beating and remained very true.

I weigh 180 lbs with no gear. I had no problem mountain a Maxxis Crossmark (rear) and Ignitor (front) using Stan's sealant. This is a great product and I would definitely recommend them.

[May 17, 2009]
D1PHAM

OVERALL
Strength:

-Light ~ 480 grams.
-Stiffer than the 355's.
-Nice anodized black finish.
-Can be run with tubes or without.
-Holds air very well when running tubeless.

-Can be difficult to get certain tires mounted on the rim.
-Could not get the tire bead seated correctly when running tubes.

Took me all but 15 minutes to convert to tubeless. All ZTR rims only require the yellow tape and valve stem to run tubeless. Since the tire beads sit lower in the rim due to "BTS Technology", you get a very supple ride when running tubeless due to the increased air volume. Which is probably one of the main reasons for making the switch to tubeless. Increased trail compliance and traction alone were great! I'll never ride with tubes again!

Mavic 717's

[May 07, 2009]
Krankensteine

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, runs light regular tires as tubeless and runs them at low pressure which gives great stick and low rolling resistance.

None that I can find

The previous reviewer should post comments on the Crow tire not the Arch Rim.

I can find no weakness in the Arch rims. I ride very rocky technical terrain and have found these to be flawless. Rims have taken lots of abuse and still seem like new. Best part is running tubeless with nonUST tires. I need tubeless more than anything because of the many thorns on the trails I ride. Have never had any issues and have tried many different tire combination's.

Mavic, Salsa, DT Swiss

[Nov 03, 2008]
smokinjoe

OVERALL
Strength:

bigger bite with tire, greater traction when working, smoother all around better ride, when works.

sealant sucks, messy, doesnt work as claimed. The Crow is mere tissue paper, punctures, tears, rips, sealant just squirts right out.

Great idea, just needs alot of work on their sealant. Inverted shaking and using the syringe is a joke. Cant even get a miniscual amount of sealant in the tire thru the valve stem (valve core removed) without sediments clogging up stem, then you have to remove the stem clean up the spilled sealant and so on. Sealant doesnt clog holes as claimed. The crow is a great tire for fairly smooth non technical hardpack with minimal rocks but hang it up on anything thats a bit more technical. Finally ended up throwing the crow in the trash after i pinched it half a dozen times and went thru a load of sealant and a million curse words. Just not worth the effort. Save your money and buy a real set of USTs not ones that require liquid. 163 lb with 26-30psi.

Bontrager UST,

[Apr 14, 2008]
Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

- Weight
- Strength, does not go out of true easily
- Easy to get tires to seal up on tubless rim

The Stans Sticker on the rim is not the best looking.

I only write reviews when I really like a product or really dislike a product. I also won't write a review until I have used it properly. We all know you can't know most bike parts in a few rides.

I am a pretty big rider 6 ft 190lb and have been pounding these rims for over a year. I was really concerned when I first purchased these wheels since they were so light and I thought they would be trash in short order. Well that isn't true. These things have been wonderful. They are strong, light and easy to work with when using Stans juice. I use Kenda Karma and SB8's (tubed) and the seal up very well.

I had purchased a set of Mavic Cross max SL's at the same time for my 26in bike and have had nothing but trouble with them. You can't go wrong with the Arch's

Mavic Cross Max SL, Spinergy Xcylone and a variety of Mavic spoked rims.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.