Alex Rims DP17 Disc Rim

[Jul 31, 2016]
    Benen
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong

Not the lightest

I can't remember where I bought these or how much I paid but remember they were not very expensive. I can't believe how strong these wheels are, I used to have them on my hardtail mtb which I rode on roads trails in Europe and Africa. Then I converted that hardtail to a touring bike, kept the wheels and rode it across the centre of Iceland on dirt tracks with racks, panniers and up to 40 kgs of kit, food and water. Plus my 85kgs. I have never had a problem with these wheels in 7 years, they've never seen a spoke key. Maybe some batches were good, some bad because I've seen them criticised for weakness but I wouldn't replace mine because I trust them, I know they are up to whatever I throw at them.

[Dec 01, 2015]
    edward pyke

OVERALL
    Strength:

that it is a wheel that is light and easy to remove from the bike frame

is the one I had for a spare for my bike which I got in February this year has not lasted been in for repair twice and the second time I find it is not repairable so not very good for a wheel that is lees than 12 months old.

overall not a good wheel so now I have to replace it not good enough by a long shot.

[Oct 27, 2014]
    brncr6

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good rim

Not to strong

See a lot of bad reviews I bought mine used for 90$ for my hardtail and have rode the he'll out of them and the have held up. Ride the rocky trail hard with them. Have had to true the
    Rear up once. The shimano free hub sucks.

[Jul 03, 2013]
    Norman

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very cheap yet very good and very strong that i even use it on extreme jump trail and never gave me headache...I am using it for 7 yrs now with ave of 10Kms daily ride...

Good looking and very lightweight rim.

[Dec 02, 2012]
    sam

OVERALL
    Strength:

both held up okay after everyday riding offroad and on road.

the front went untrue like a pizza

i rode the balls of these for a year and the kind of survived - atleast the back did. that means trying to 180, casing jumps and trying to whip.... on my 4" travel hardtail. they seem ok since there cheap but im not sure if id trust them again since the front pizza'd on me.

[Oct 11, 2012]
    Lisa Cook

OVERALL
    Strength:

At least the front rim looks o.k.

After 11,500 road miles in 1.5 yrs and a third truing, the rim has three sites where major cracks occur, two of the worst occur on each side of two eyelets where the eyelets themselves have pulled through. In addition there are hairline cracks on each side of 5 more eyelets. These occurred immediately after being trued.

Perhaps I am naive in believing that after this type of mileage on my Navaro Safari that I should still have decent rims. For about 5 yrs ending 1.5 yrs ago I rode a cheap Schwinn Aluminum Comp mountain bike from Walmart in which I had to replace the aluminum rims because a bad batch of spokes out of Japan was used in the construction of the wheel. My local bicycle shop owner sold me a pair of cheap $25 ea. aluminum rims in which I rode with a rear panear about 30,000 mostly road miles within our county during that time. Also, consider that I maintain a weight of 150 lbs. With the exception of the sides worn from the break pad use, they held up surprisingly well. Supposedly the DP 17 with disc breaks that came with the bike is better, and yet I only have slightly more than 1/3 the mileage on these rims which were also ridden with the same panear. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see the failure in a rim that was supposedly designed for mountain bike use, especially since I use this bike for the road. Imagine if I used these rims to pull a bike trailer across country. Needless to say, I will be upgrading to a rim that can take at least 8000 road miles miles a year with minimal truing required. Someday I will actually tour my bike and I want something strong, reliable and relatively maintenance free.

[Jul 07, 2012]
    paxy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap

Weak laterally

I've got just over 200 miles on these rims. They've held up ok over some rough rides, although I've had to re-true once.

Did a hard turn and stop going very slow and the front taco'ed. These are not strong enough for a 290 LB Clyde like myself. Looking at getting some Sun Rhyno Lites.

[Jun 21, 2012]
    Overdrive

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great wheels for money... after 7500kms, they run like first day.

60% road use, 40% macadam, ruff gravel,dirt.

[May 30, 2012]
    Henrik B

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap and looking good.

Not to strong

They came on my Giant. Used them for 2 years of hard riding. Then they were done. Not bad for cheap chineese products.

[Oct 06, 2011]
    MeaCulpa

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good rim for cheap money. Riden these for 2 years, even some harder rides, with no problems. Really good value for the money. Bike, Fully. Rider, 70 kg. Very good looks too, and a nice finish. Less problems with these hubs then my friends have had with hubs that cost 4 times so much as the wheelset!

Very good and priceworthy!