Specialized Stout Superfly Front Hub Hub

Specialized Stout Superfly Front Hub

[Mar 07, 2019]
j306

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff front hub, nice bearings, solid construction. Flanges are super beefy to allow for radial lace. Pictures can be seen at vintage bicycle parts library. Specialized parts are awesome!

None that I can think of

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1999
[May 28, 2003]
Leonhardt

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough Q/R lever
Low maintenance
Stearing precision

i dunnno

IT's been hold up quite well with really less maintenance.
Bearing is easy to repalace and well sealed.
I'd like to buy some if I find it.

chris king ISO,Cross max,Propel(Broke soon!!)

[Mar 18, 2007]
Jed

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent light weight design, impenetrable bearing seals, comes stock with plenty of grease. Zero required maintenance after a year of harsh, muddy riding.

None yet.

This hub came on a built up wheel. It is the sealed bearing type. I use this wheel for some pretty rough trail riding. It has been an excellent, affordable, maintenance free experience. What more could I ask of the humble hub.

All sorts of Shimanos, Coda Lefty hub

[Sep 25, 1998]
Rand Man
weekend warrior

OVERALL

This hub really siffens thing up in the front. And I haven't had to true it in over 1 1/2 years. One complaint that skewer is neat to look at but can hurt your hands.
Well I need a few more words boy I love riding wish I could get this review over and go ride.

[May 05, 2000]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Survived 2 British Winters with no maintenance.

With shimano you have to service every 2 to 3 weeks in a UK winter. Specialized no maintenance, I know what I would choose.

Shimano LX & XT

[Mar 14, 2000]
Sam Evans

OVERALL
Strength:

Let's talk about STIFF. My bike goes exactly where I point it.

my dainty little hands hurt to undo the skewer, which is pretty, but sticky

Awesome Hub. When I had a JUDY up front (booo Rock Shox) it kept things tolerable. Now with the Marzocchi, it is unsurpassable. Just to let you know about its reliability, about a week ago I bombed a singletrack downhill @ 30mph, jumped a bridge, and landed on a big pointy rock. This demolished my front wheel. It tore the rim into three pieces. Hub is fine! LBS said they couldn't believe that the flanges were still straight. Building it back up now. I will never get another hub unless i absolutely have to, which shouldn't happen because I CAN'T BREAK IT! The bearings did go out on me, but only after thousands (literally) of miles. When yours go out, don't pay bike shop prices for replacements... go to an auto parts warehouse like NAPA and let them help you out. (Oh yeah, make sure to pry off the dustcap & get that little number off to take to them.) I recommend this hub to ANYONE (weight weenies need not apply, as it is sort of hefty)! It just plain works well, and you never feel the weight where it is in the center of the wheel. Check out Nashbar for good deals on these from time to time. Only 5 chilis? I NEED MORE FOR SUCH A GREAT PRODUCT! GO SPECIALIZED!

aw, i dunno... lots

[Feb 06, 2000]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooooooooth...I've ridden hard on this hub for a year now and it still runs perfectly.

None yet at all!

The bottom line is that this is a nice hub. It came stock with my bike, so I was lucky. It's light and (like I said) smooth. I recommend it big time!!!!!!

[Apr 03, 1999]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

VERY Strong
Cool looking w/spokes
feels nice

NONE yet

This thing flew off my friends roof rock going 80mph, bounced over a pickup,over two lanes of traffic, across a concrete barrier, then across 4 more lanes of traffic. Once we got of the highway and went back to get the wheel it was perfecly true and nothing happened to the hub. It also rides really well, I can't really tell the difference between it and any other wheel.

A lot

[Feb 11, 1999]
rob
cross-country rider

OVERALL

i got one of these new for real cheap and built a road wheel with it and a used open pro hub. it rides great on the road and weighs less than other road wheels i have.

[Nov 02, 1998]
promo9
cross-country rider

OVERALL

Excellent. Rock hard. After some nasty spills and head-on collisions, still true. No problems with the bearings after several stream crossings. Fortunately, it came with my '98 Stumpjumper. Recommend to anyone building a new front wheel.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.