Sachs Quarz Hub

Sachs Quarz

[Sep 27, 1998]
Dave

OVERALL

These hubs are light, inexpensive, spin smoothly on larger sealed bearings. However, the rear hub has only two sealed bearings, freehub has two sets of small loose bearings and is pressed in -- I torqued these suckers off and torque twisted the main axle guide shaft -- I have resized the guide shaft reassembled the entire cheap ass rear, went for a ride and torqued it off again. I'd stay away from the rear if it is the press fit unit. But, they are light and they are smooth. The front has worked flawlessly, and may be overbuilt with the bearing size. Five chiles for the front - one chile for the rear.

[Jun 10, 2001]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

No problems in 2 years.

Not apparent yet

Price includes wheel parts and build.

No problems with the hub still. Had to tighten bearings once. Otherwise still engages consistently and smoothly. Can't ask for more.

Shimano XT and below, Nukeproof, others

[Nov 22, 2000]
quadpod

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

terrible quality.

This hub locked up a few months after I got it. Went to my local shop where it was built, Sachs (was right after sachs merged with SRAM) wouldn't replace it for free, they just gave me one at cost, then I had to pay for a 2nd wheelbuild. 6-8 months later, starts to lock up again!

My advice: Stay away from Sachs/Sram products! I've had 2 SRAM deraillures snap in a period of a month this year. I now look to other non-shimano companies for my parts.
WTB disc hubs have held up well for me, that may be a good alternative.

Shimano stx,lx,xt,xtr even dx. WTB disc hubs.

[Mar 18, 2004]
Alain Trudeau

OVERALL
Strength:

a great quality product

dosent shift well in winter when the cogs are full of ice lol

GREAT! it dosent shift as well as shimano but i'v been running it for 7 years and it still runs great!!!
i do take it apart every year to put some new greace in and remove the dirt.

i hate shimano :P

suntour was the best but they went out...

shimano, suntour

[Oct 25, 1999]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth bearings
Well sealed
Easy to build
Strong flange for radial spoking
Stout axle when using suspension forks
Cool shape not like the typical and boring S'mano

'Quarz' what the hell kind of name is that? Haven't tried the Rear hub of the same name, I usually give in to the Shimano monopoly and yes I still use AT&T for long distance

If you can find these hubs available buy them, they roll like butter and probably cannot beat the value for an overall build. If you want disco colors or are running disco brakes look elsewhere Jackson

All Shimano hubs, Bullseye, Specialized Stout.

[Aug 12, 1999]
James
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth
Durable
Cheap
Light

None found just yet.

Replaced a Mavic 217 / 14-15g / LX (silent clutch) Wheel with a Bontrager Mustang / 14-15g / Quartz. The old wheel didn't stay in true, and after having to true it about 2 X a week for about 2 months I replaced it with the Quartz.The quartz wheel has worked flawlessly since then. It is not come loose, it has engaged consistently. The finish is the same as the day I bought it. Been the perfect part. Built and forgotten, I haven't needed to have anything done to it since it was installed.

XT, LX

[May 18, 1999]
PRC
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, good looks (when new)

Has developed some play,
The finish has corroded somewhat

I rate these somewhere between the LX hubs which came stock on the GT and the XTs on my other bike. The hubs have about 2000km on them, I've had to correct the lateral play twice. The finish has corroded, but its probably due to the salty air here. I'll give them 3 flaming dogs - 1 dog for the finish

LX , XT

[Jan 15, 1999]
Barry

OVERALL

Front hub is fine, rear failed after several months.Pawls wouldn't engage properly, slipped before gripping.Actually saw one at the LBS that exploded.The first rear I received I sent back due to the fact that it grinded when it rotated.I will NEVER buy another Sachs rear hub... We'll see about the front.

[Jan 04, 1999]
Damiano Visocnik

OVERALL

I bought my Quarz rear hub through REI and laced it to a Bontrager Mustang Asym myself. After only two months of moderate riding (no mud) the hub seized on a long uphill ride. I had broken previously several LX and XT freehub bodies, all due to palses faliure; the Quartz did not prove to be any different to the Shimano. I have also shredded the spline for the freehub body on a LX Shimano rear hub. Incidentally I am 220 lb and I like to ride hard and steep.
The hub has been replaced under warranty and I had no chance to ride it since.
I also built a second wheel with a rear Chris King, which I have not tested yet.
I can not rate the Quartz highly. Two chillies only!

[Nov 07, 1998]
Herb Snogren

OVERALL

I purchased a set of these hubs during an Alaska to Tierra del Fuego bike tour. I put them on in Guatamala after 3000 - 4000 miles the press fit freewheel had separated from the hub. The design sucks! Sachs replaced my rear hub with a new design featuring a screw on freewheel. The outer shell of the cassette body cracked within 2000 miles and is now being replaced under warranty again. I am not impressed with their quality. Zero chiles for the rear hub. The front hubs are great. I rode from Guatamala to Tierra del Fuego (10,000 miles) on one set of bearings with zero maint. and zero problems. The cartrige bearings on the front and rear hubs are interchangeable, easy to replace and last a long time with no maint. A full set of chiles for the front hubs.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.