Phil Wood Mtb Front Hub

Phil Wood Front Hub

[Feb 23, 2012]
whiskeydave

OVERALL
Strength:

Smoothest hubs around, fully & easily rebuildable, great workwork of a hub. Overall very pleased with my purchase, lifetime investment.

My main gripe as a single speeder is that if you run the KISS hub that is symmetrical for the strongest wheel you must use a freewheel and there are only 2 options either low grade (acs or shimano) or White Ind ($100) and because of this its a serious weight tax and cost of you want to change gearing. If you use the low grade its just gets gritty in a hurry and then the bike doesnt roll at the Phil Wood level.

I love my Phil Wood hubs its so nice to have USA made and just the quality and craftsmanship are unbeatable.

King ISO SS abit lighter(between 1/4lbs and 1/2lbs) less roll quailty but I do like interchangeable cogs for going to different areas

[May 11, 2011]
Baldy

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, cradles spoke heads

zippity doo dah

I built up a pair of front wheels for mine and my wife's bikes about ten years ago. We did some off road loaded touring, lots of commuting, and plenty of day rides in all kinds of weather, more often than not loaded with some combination of gear, groceries and tools. There have been no broken spokes, the wheels have never needed truing, and the hubs are still perfect. Cycling nirvana! (For those interested in the wheels, I used Sun Rhyno Lite rims, and 36 double butted DT Swiss spokes in addition to the Phil Wood hubs.) I'd recommend these hubs to anyone who values durability highly - i.e. touring, commuting, trail riding.

LX

[Feb 02, 2002]
Bob dole
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

These hubs are by far the finest hubs built. A little bit heaver then some but whats weight anyways? its like taking a leak while you ride. Phil's drop kick any other hub out there, givem' a look and tell them "beatch please"

For the best SS hubs buy a set of phil's, they will be there for your kids to ride.

[May 21, 2007]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Design

Designed and executed with quality materials and craft. With 18 years and >10,000 mi the hub is as new. I ma convinced there is no other product available on the market with this level of craftsmanship.

Shimano, Suntour, Campagnolo

[Dec 13, 2006]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

American made, Highest quality.

None.

Easily and by far the best hubs for bicycles, period. They roll waaaaaay better than Chris Kings and look just as good. Never a problem and are way simpler to work on than CK's, if they ever need it. The Phil Wood grease is excellent also. No better out there!

Shimano, Chris King, etc...

[Oct 18, 2006]
Rider Strider

OVERALL
Strength:

Super Smooth rolling hub, like butter baby.

None. Expensive new, but I scored a lightly used wheel cheap on eBay

Hugi hubs are great, but after I tacoed the front wheel, I bought a Phil Wood front wheel as a spare replacement while the original hugi hub was being rebuilt. The Phil Wood is noticeably smoother -- so even with the hugi hand laced to a new rim, I still ride the used Phil wood. No hype here -- this is true red, white and blue quality.

Many: XT, DT Hugi, Campy record, Mavic

[Sep 26, 2001]
Crazy Bit$%

OVERALL
Strength:

The finest,longest-lastin',burliest,overdesigned,most beautiful hubs in existence.KICK ASS!!!

None,'cept for the price.These are damn nice hubs.Chris King?Who's that?

I bought my Surly 1x1 last year with a Phil Wood Kiss-off rear hub and an XT up front,both laced to 36-hole Sun Rhyno Lites.I love the Phil.It was SOOO stiff and so easy to build a wheel off of,I wonder why more designers don't design their hubs like this.

After the shi#tily-sealed XT front hub died after 8 months,I saved up some dough and bought myself a FSA front hub,and rebuilt my Sun around it.

Fast-forward 3 months.I have beaten the living sh%t out of these hubs.Mud,rain,stair drops,boulders,just absolutely heinous abuse,day after day.My rims have been through so much hell.The Suns are on their last legs.

As for the Phils..
I haven't needed to take them apart.NOT ONCE.
I think these hubs will outlive me long after I'm dead and buried.

Have you seen a Shimano hub last 10 years straight?I didn't think so!

Get these hubs,both front and rear.They're great stuff.Even if the price is high,they are SO,SO worth it..where's that goddamn 6-chili option?!

XT and LX hubs,Specialized hubs

[Oct 08, 2006]
Ronn Houtz

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable, smooth, beautiful

Started using for road racing 1973, now mostly touring and street biking. Have used the same set trouble free for 33 years

Campy, Shimano

[Jul 04, 2000]
s danyo
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

durable, easily rebuildable, stiff

This hub has outlasted the following frames, all of which broke while this hub was attached:

Mantis Pro-floater
Klein Pulse
KHS Team Cro-mo
FSR Extreme

The only other original part that survived the original bike (1995) is a Syncros seatpost. Everything else went the way of the do-do bird.

I agree with everything everyone else has written.

hugi, lx, kt, xtr, atac, ritchey, etc.

[Jun 20, 2000]
craig

OVERALL
Strength:

durability, rigidity, looks

Wow, these are by far the best hubs on the market, they are a little heavier than some, but stiffer than all, you will not regret buying any Phil Wood hubs.

lx. xt, xtr

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.