Stans NoTubes Raven 29er Tire

NoTubesThe Raven NoTubes is proudTo introduceThe newTubeless ready Raven. UsingThe same ultra fast rollingTread pattern and dual durometer rubber asThe Crow, but withTaller side knobs and wideTire casing for even betterTraction in all riding conditions. DesignedTo be used at low pressures Can be used withTubes orTubeless with Stan’sTire sealant Low rolling resistance design features dual compound rubber 29”Tire features extra strong folding bead design 120TPI casing has sev

[Jun 25, 2016]
Eoin

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

Too thin
Porous
Requires a lot of sealant to seal

Tires are too porous. I initially put 4 oz of Stan's Sealant in these "tubeless" tires and had to add another 4 to 5 oz. The tires are light but after you get finished adding an enormous amount of sealant, they are not really that light. The tires are very thin and puncture easy. Weakest sidewalls I have experienced. I suppose these tires would be fine on race day on smooth, hard-packed trail. Forget it if you ride on loose, rocky, sandy, wet, and/or muddy trails. These are the worst tires I have ever had since I switched from BMX to MTB back in 1992. When I called Stan's to advise of the issues, the representative was argumentative (how this guy is in a position of customer service/warranty issues, I will never understand). Paid $80 plus shipping for the pair.

Kenda Kozmik Lite
Bontrager XR1 Team

[Nov 19, 2015]
Natahan

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and easy to mount.

Bled Stan's for 48 hours. Had to keep pumping. Been fine now for 4 months.

Rear tire only so far for local races and a 100 mile Enduro. Rode in snow last week and was the only guy who climbed a steep hill. Other spun out with Ralph's and Thunderburts. Mind blowing to other guys given the visual impression of the tire. Gave me confidence to try one on the front next year. Run low 20's PSI.

[Feb 13, 2015]
Keith
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Fine with a tube

Sidewalls too flimsy; tubeless setup a struggle even with extra rim tape

Not a good choice for tubeless, which is a big disappointment for a Stan's brand tire that I tried for a few weeks on a Stans brand wheelset (Iron cross). Even with extra rim tape, the tubeless setup was a struggle. While riding in corners, the sidewalls are too flimsy--multiple times they collapsed under the cornering force and "burped" air. I was running them 5 psi over the recommended pressure, and still had the issue, both on pavement and dirt.

The issue was solved by using a tube, but that solution circumvents the whole reason I got a tubeless wheelset and supposedly-tubeless tire. Two stars because they actually grip and corner great with a tube, and they might work if you are a lightweight rider with cornering habits less aggressive than mine.

[May 21, 2013]
Jose

OVERALL
Strength:

None that I noted.

Bad quality, sidewall holes, poor cornering, and no durability.

From the beginning, these tires took a long time to seal with the Stan's. They come with sidewall holes that make difficult to install them tubeless. Also the seal at the rim was difficult. Cornering was an issue with them. Finally the durability was very bad. These tires last only a few rides. One of them had a sidewall crack and I did not abused them.

Saguaros, bontrager.

[Aug 01, 2012]
Farmer Ted

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, supple, excellent traction in the right conditions

expensive

I came across a set of these for nearly nothing so I thought I'd check them out. I had previously been riding Kenda Small Block 8s on my 29er (for 1000 miles or so) and liked them. I had no problems mounting and sealing these with the Stan's sealant. For the desert dry/ hardpack/ rocky/ rooty riding I do in Northern Colorado, these tires are incredible. You wouldn't think so by looking at them but they have great traction and fantastic cornering grip. I find these have better cornering grip than the Kenda's I was running but part of that may be due to the lower pressure of the tubeless setup (I'm running 26 in the front and 29 in the rear) I don't ride my 29er in super technical situations (I have other bikes for that) but for fast hardpack to even very slightly loose conditions, these are awesome. I really hope they last a good long time as they are pretty pricey...I usually don't spend much on tires because in my area, the rocks tend to chew them up in a few hundred miles but, like I said, I don't ride this bike much in those conditions. I like these so much that I'm thinking about getting another set for my 26" xc bike. The reason I gave them 4 chilis for value is because of the price, the 4 chilis overall is because I haven't had them long enough to tell what the lifespan will be. If I can get 1500 miles out of them, I'll give them a 5 on both counts.

[Jun 06, 2012]
Ruben Valouer

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, fast, fast, did I say fast yet? Very supple casing, stick very well with right air pressure and the right ground conditions. Super light, makes your wheels easier to spin up.

Traction is only a problem if you use these in the wrong conditions. DO NOT use in wet, loose muddy conditions - they are not designed for that. Took a while to hold air (even the sidewalls had pinholes from new), 3 days of pumping and shaking - but after that - perfect.

Love these tires for the right conditions. I have the 29x2.0 front and back, running them tubeless on my American Classic Race 29er wheels with 24PSI rear, 22PSI front. Frickin amazing grip!

I primarily ride cross country/all mountain, from tight single track to wide open fire roads, up and down my local Alberta Rocky Mountains. These tires do not let me down, I can feel them 'suck' up the roots as I lean into a corner. The low pressures allow the tire to roll 'through' - this allow me to lean into the corners and not worry about my tire losing contact and spilling me. Nice!

I probably have 50hrs on them now, of hard riding in the Rockies (steep up and down, tons of roots, some rocks), no burping, no cuts, no issues.

Can not say much on durability as I only have about 50hrs on them, but I will say, if the conditions are right I will run them on my next long distance race - 50KM Northface Rundles Revenge in June and for my 24HRs Race in 2 weeks later- I trust them!

Highly recommend for dry conditions only. I can not wait for my first XC Race of the season - hopefully its dry! I am positive I can cut 1min from each 15min lap just cause these tires are so much lighter and roll faster than last years Maxxis Ardents I was 'forced' to use - stupid me!

Noby Nicks, Specialized tubless, Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis Ardent LUST, lots of others

[Oct 14, 2011]
TreeFarmer

OVERALL
Strength:

Low Rolling resistance, seals up easily for tubeless, great race tire

-Straight line braking, accelerating out of turns (see below)
-Spontaneous sidewall holes if inflated to 40 psi?

I'm a rider who constantly pushes the limits of my equipment, especially tires. I've ridden this tire as a front tire only for almost an entire year now across a wide range of conditions and I'm really happy with it. It's light, fast, and seems to be fairly durable. I've only had one puncture and the sealant took care of that pretty well.

The good:
This thing accelerates like nobody's business. It rolls so smoothly and fast I find myself pedaling less and braking more on my single speed. When I'm on smooth hardpack this tire rips. I've never had an issue with it sliding uncontrollably or losing confidence in good conditions. I can definitely see why people like it as a race tire for certain courses.

The not so good:
This tire is not designed or meant for sloppy or loose conditions. So, if you are cornering in mud, you better have a foot unclipped because it can drop you on your ear before you know it. The lack of aggressive knobs also means that if the trail is loose over hard or sandy, you'll experience quite a bit of wheel drift that while predictable still is unnerving.

I don't consider those to be drawbacks since the tire isn't designed for those situations. However, I do have some small issues with the straight line braking performance and accelerating out of corners. This may not be an issue for a suspension fork, but with a rigid fork there is no forgiveness and I feel every little slip and slide.

Simply put, if you are coming hot into a situation that requires really hard braking, the short center knobs will let you down. They just don't grab enough and wind up skidding. Also, as a front tire, when I'm accelerating out of the apex of a turn, I'll notice the tire becomes loose. For some reason it doesn't handle a dynamic change in loading real well.

Maxxis high roller SS, Continental race king

[Apr 24, 2011]
CC

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and have held up great. Roll very fast and climb fantastic!!!

I little sketchy on fast loose decents. Not first choice for a front for these reasons but I've been using it both F and R and have gotten used to it.

Have used these a year and they are still decent although they need to be replced now do to wear. Using them tubless with a Flow on the back and the stock Bontrager that came on the bike on the front. Not a single issue...will def. buy again. Only wish is that they were a bit less $$$, but having not a single prolem in a year it's worth it.

Bontrager XDX

[Jan 23, 2011]
BruceBrown

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for the Raven 2.2 which I have run front and rear on a JET 9, RIP 9 and a Dos Niner for XC racing in the Midwest (Iowa, Minnesota, WORS). Super fast roller thanks to what feels like zero rolling resistance, light weight and surprising grip for dry and tacky conditions.

Wet conditions. Minimal tread will wear fast if you take them on pavement to and from trails.

I call these the Big Velcro tires when run tubeless - and especially on the wider profile XC rims like Flows or Blunts. The slightly taller side knobs over the Crow is enough for XC racing and the extra volume of the 2.2 provides enough of a contact patch to really give good traction front and rear. I had no issues with traction on the races where I have used them (Bone Bender, Scott County Park, Sugar Bottom, Chippewa Falls Firecracker, Border Battle, Mankato, etc...). On courses with more loose over hardpack, using a front tire with taller knobs while keeping the Raven 2.2 on the rear has been an excellent combination as well.

Fun tire that is surprising for the traction when set up tubeless and you dial in a good air pressure front and rear.

Crows and Aspens in terms of minimal tread, Race King 2.2 in terms of volume.

[Aug 18, 2010]
Don Duende

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight and good grip on climbs. No durability problems in the short term.

Loses grip in high speed corners on loose trails. What tire doesn't? But more so than knobby tires on my 26er.

Light and fast tire. Grip is much better then expected from the low profile knobs. Holding up well on our rocky local trails.

This is my first 29er tire.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.