Michelin XC All Terrain 29er Tire

• Long-lasting carbon black rubber compound
  • XCR All Terrain tread pattern
  • Great traction in most conditions

• USER REVIEWS

[May 21, 2011]
    mtluke

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rolls well,good grip

not great on rock

This is a follow up to an earlier review.
    Good rear tire overall, unless you ride a ton of rocks, not terrible on these just not enough side tracton.Very predictable tire, good traction and nice drift when pushed hard. Excellent traction while climbing and braking.
    In most conditions though these are a good solid choice for most east coast riding.
    They run bigger than stated, my 2.0 is actually like a 2.2.
    Difficult to find.
    Have not run them as a front tire, doesn't look like it would do well but they have surprised me in the rear so maybe they'd be OK.

Sagauro, Fire Pro, Bonty 29-3

[Dec 21, 2010]
    joebreez

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rolls fast, grips well. Setup quickly for tubeless. I like the light weight and fast roll and they only weigh 620 gms.

Susceptible to pinch flats?
    Don't seem to have much for cornering knobs, but the tire still hangs in there fairly well.
    Good luck finding them, really scarce

I had to set these up tubeless due to a few too many pinch flats. A great tire but soft sidewalls, they roll well and have good grip. I'm 210 lbs and I found I really like this tire, I just didn't want to run them at 40 psi to keep them from flatting. I'd buy these again as a rear but got a Panracer Fire XC for the front and love it also.
    Got this one slightly used at my lbs and love it.
    My only complaint is during off camber cornering there is not enough side lugs to get a good bite. They don't wash out but drift nicely-otherwise 5 stars

Geax Saguaro, Bonty 29-3

[Oct 25, 2010]
    Ebart

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very Reliable tire. Feels solid in all conditions.
    Great traction to weight ratio.

Feels heavy in the 29er version on front.

This is a great all round tire. It does everything you need it to. Not the lightest for racing on, but great training tire. Also not the fastest on hard pack. It handled well in sand on tree roots and in the corners it was excellent. Thinking about going tubeless with it to lighten it.

kenda karma LR3 pro and SB'8.
    hutchinson python air light

[Apr 15, 2010]
    Unknown Kowalski

OVERALL
    Strength:

I have thought about setting these up as tubeless but I don't think I have to. These things will not pinch flat. I have been trying to pinch them out running at less than 30 PSI which was unheard of on my Mountain Kings. They still keep going.

Not so good on wet rocks and roots.

A solid tire and a great deal.

Conti Mountain Kings, Exiwolf Race.

[Mar 04, 2010]
    mtnbiker72

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice spaced out knobs, work great tubeless, good weight, slightly wider than 2.0", Long wearing compound

Not so good on roots

I got these on closeout from REI for a steal. My IRC's were doing decent in the mud but clogging a bit. Based on the tread pattern, I guessed that these would make good mud tires. I was right, they stay cleared and really hand on in the wet stuff. So far they look almost new, hardly any wear in three solid months of riding them. They also work very well tubeless, actually holding air without sealant as well as some first generation UST tires. The one weakness is due to a harder compound, they are slick on roots but that is to be expected. I was happy to see they have good volume and actually measure out at 2.08" wide.

IRC Mythos 29, Kenda Nevegal 29

[Feb 28, 2010]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Best Tire and Value ever. Got them at closeout at REI.

None soo far

Best tire on mud I ever used. Lightweight, nd 2.0 is really like a 2.2
    Grips well and doesn't wash out on turns. I am even running one on the front wheel now. Best Value and price, wish I could have purchased more for the future at this price.

XDX Bontrager

[Feb 08, 2010]
    rs1

OVERALL
    Strength:

great off road tire

careful on wet road.
    slipery when wet.

great tire

[Jun 25, 2009]
    vt29er

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent mud clearance, grip on hard pack and cornering. Very good rolling resistance. 2.0 version is a bit bigger than 2". This tire is wider than a new pair of conti moutain king 2.2's and much cheaper. Stiff sidewalls

VERY difficult to mount onto Stan's arch 29er rims with a tube, will be going tubeless asap. Hopefully they will stretch a bit

Reminds me of the traction I used to get with my panaracer smokes back in the 90's but rolls better. A rare combo of mud clearance and good rolling resistance, not too heavy.Wet rocks and roots, so far so good but that is based much more on rider ability and picking a proper line than just a tire. Seems tires that came out in the last year or two for 29ers become forgotten with "new" styles coming out. For technical x-country on the east coast this tire is hard to beat.

dozens of tires in 26"

[Aug 25, 2007]
    Doug

OVERALL
    Strength:

Sheds really really well, seems to roll quick, grippy on mud. (I'm on the east coast). Wet or slimy rocks forget about it.

Lacks the volume/cush that a fatter tire would provide at least on a rigid ride.

First rigid bike but I have these mounted on the rear of a SS HT so it should still have relevance. They climb as well if not better then my Bontrager Jones ACX 29ers yet at a smaller width. So that means these are either good tires compared to the ACX's or both are lame but the Michelins are better.

*I can't comment on dry or dusty trails* because we just got dumped on with 4 days of rain but for what its worth these climb well with alot of weight on the rear on muddy/rocky technical climbs.

Slippery roots, rocks forget about it but then again what tire does well on these?

Dry dirt climbing??, dry dirt descending at speed felt fine with no worries.
    3-Value rating cause I don't think that are substantially better than the ridic. cheap Mythos XC's. 4 Overall rating because they climb well for a 2.0 tire.

Jones ACX 29er 2.25, IRC Mythos XC 29er 2.1

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.