Kenda Small Block 8 29er Tire

Available At

The Kenda Small Block 8 is part of cycling legend JohnTomac,The Small Block 8 uses a series of 8 small Nevegal shaped knobsTo provide excellent bite onTheTrack. Excellent hard pack raceTire 8 Nevegal shaped but smaller knobs acrossTheTire for better bite DTC DualTread Compound offers cornering grip with faster center line acceleration One ofThe fastest rollingTires inThe Kenda Premium line Weight(claimed): 355 g 60TPI Wire Bead

[Oct 27, 2015]
Ob1Hoagie
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Excellent hard pack grip in desert terrain for a REAR tire.

1. Lack of choice in tire sizes - Kenda you NEED a 2.3/2.4 tubeless ready Small Block 8 tire !!!
2. Weak sidewalls in non-ust version.

Kenda - I hope that someone from your company are reading these reviews !

You need to create a Small Block 8 29'er tire in a 2.35/2.40 size. Please make it tubeless and make sure that the sidewalls are strong enough for TRUE trail riding, NOT racing.

This tread pattern is just fantastic for desert hardpack when used on the rear ! :-)

Too many to list...

[Sep 02, 2015]
William Gregory

OVERALL
Strength:

Key words are fast and hardpack. The grip and rolling resistance are some of the best. It is my favorite back tire. I opted for the wire bead/60tpi as it is more resistant to wear and punctures by thorns/shards. Too bad they only make a 2.1 for 29ers. Would like a 2.2 at least; for me, that would make it a proper front tire as well.

Because I have found the perfect front tire for my riding style (Kenda Slant Six 29x2.2 wirebead/60tpi), I would only recommend using this tire on the back and getting something that bites into corners more, or maybe the Slant just spoiled me. That being said, the SB8 is a great follow-through tire.

Some people seem to expect much more that this tire is advertised for. It's not a mudder though it grips well on wet tarmac/asphalt. It climbs great and keeps the momentum better than any tire I've ever used. My experience is that folding bead/120tpi Kendas without Iron Cloak are more vulnerable to shards/thorns. I like a wirebead with lower tpi, I like to run them with tubes, I like to pump them up to about 3atm or 44psi: no more shards/thorns headaches and plenty of grip for rocks and roots.
I ride daily on tarmac and at least once a week on hardpack soil or loose over hardpack, the Smallblock is tough and resistant to wear. I'm surprised to read people complaining they wear out fast. It's not a hardcore racing tire, it's not meant to be (unless you're getting the Pro version). Using it like that might see more extensive wear. For everyone else this tire will do just fine for at least 5 years.
Why is my overall rating only 4 stars? Because the Slant Six gets 5 stars from me, I love that tire. However, I do believe this is a great value product. I payed about 20$ for it and would have payed twice that, it's that good! Wouldn't put anything else in the back, except I found a worn out folding/120tpi Slant that behaves like a slick in the straights (crazy fast!) and a Nevegal in the corners and I do like to do some controlled sliding with that. When I'm not looking for cheap thrills, the Smallblock is my go-to back tire.

Kendas, CSTs and Continentals. Kendas are by far the best! Too bad they don't want to make their 29er tires in a wider casing like 2.3-2.5. What is up with that, Kenda?

[Sep 26, 2014]
JR

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, good handling on dry hardpack or the street if you don't turn aggressively. Appear well made.

Flat prone. Very thin, soft rubber tread/low knobs easily punctured by thorns, cut by glass, sharp rocks... What others said about loose terrain front tire grip. The tread "feels" like I could cut through through it with my thumbnail. Probably not though.

These came with the bike. They are fast. They feel great. They are light, soft, grippy, and handle well on hard, dry, smooth surfaces-until you have to turn sharply. They have flexible sidewalls and can run from 35-80 psi which makes for easy tuning.

Did some pre-rides adjusting the new bike and settled on 50 psi as good enough for now. My first real ride consisted if 3 miles of pavement, 12 miles of dirt roads and trails, and then back on the pavement. Groomed trails-nothing that could be considered even remotely rough or wilderness-like. Almost lost the front end twice. Washed out with little warning. The next morning the front tire had about 10psi and the rear was flat. 7 small punctures from thin, short, sharpy things that nature distributes all over eastern Washington-not just goathead's thorns-and some small tears in between the knobs. The 700c Vittoria Randonneurs on my wife's comfort bike haven't flatted in two years of her riding in the same area, on some of the same trails I rode that day.

I suppose you could add the "flat-proofing" method of your choice to fight off thorns and such, but that would add weight and you'd still be stuck with a tire that lacks the grip to keep the front end upright if you ride fast through a sharp corner, as many other reviewers have noted.

I feel these tires are just too lightly built and too narrow in focus to be a good choice for the vast majority of riders, even though they are very popular. For a racer in the right terrain, riding with the right technique to work around the front end handling, they might be magnificent, but I need something a lot sturdier and more versital. Most riders probably do as well. That's why I gave them the one chili rating. It wasn't because they were poorly made.

Various brands/purpose oriented mountain bike tires since before Rockshox was started.

[Jun 07, 2014]
Nick

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, durability, overall riding in NJ, switchbacks, packed dirt, fire trails

Sand, deeper mud

Ive been riding these tires for about 2 years. Only time Ive had a flat is when I bent my whole wheel in half. Finally after putting a hard beating on my bike at one particular trail, I did manage to tear a solid hole on the side wall. Started as a thorn prick last season, but has honestly held up really really well. I've been looking at other tires, but will be replacing my messed up tire with another one of these small block 8's. While it doesn't perform well over sand and deep mud, it handles fantastically on switchbacks, leaves, sticks, obstacles, shallow mud and water, road, and fields. Happy riding!

[May 31, 2014]
xmessenger

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, availability, weight, rolling resistance and grip in dry conditions.

None really.

Surprisingly deceptive tire. look as if they would be only good in dry hard pack only conditions, which they are exceptional but they actually are quite good on looser terrain also.
In my opinion, not even big lugged tires really bite when you ride on , say a hardpacked fire road but has a bunch of various sized, up to palm sized, rocks because no tires knobs are big enough to penetrate. THIS is where the SB8 surprised me. All tires will spin out on a larger rock but these would be the fastest to stop spin and grab the surface below on a very steep fire road with areas covered in various rocks brought to the surface over the rain season. They also stuck like glue on smooth rock face and even roots were gripped. I made my way up a tight switch backed trail which was hardpack but covered in dry needles from fir trees. I was worried but they grabbed and held. Going down tight single track on ground for which it was designed was simply excellent. The small knobs don't squirm at all leaving you with complete confidence in throwing yourself into corners. It just felt easier to ride. As far as breaking on steep pitches of loose dirt, I didn't really notice anything special good or bad. Finally, it made the ride back home on pavement much easier. A really good tire.

[Apr 16, 2014]
Kiran

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth rolling, light, great for hard pack and pavement.

Anything wet and loose.... you're gonna have a bad time....

Hmmm... I feel like a pro flying through the woods on sweeping turns and switchbacks that are hard packed. Unfortunately that's like maybe 20% of the trails I ride.... So today in the midst's of feeling like a pro I finally pushed the tire to its limit; over some loose leaves in a transition between turns... As the bike shot out from under me the first thing i thought about was.... I should let the people know... then i made friends with a thorn patch.... So here it is... if you think that hey i could ride these aggressively thru/on loose sand NO!, wet things NOOPPPEE!, leaves NEIN!, mud its wet sand/silt sooo NOOO!
But.... It teaches you soooo much. It makes you analyze the trail like a fiend, because if you loose traction its hard to get it back with these tires.
So if your going to compete prob not the tire for you at least not as a front tire.
It sure keeps ya alert!

[Jan 19, 2014]
DITD

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling tire, sidewalls have held up better than anything I have ever run, seem to last a long time. I literaly run them until no tread is left.

none really

I have run this 29er sct version for 2 1/2 years and have only cut one sidewall,, I use em for everything, tech single track, smooth single track, pavement gravel you name it. Also I use em front and rear both. I dont have any reason to buy another tire.

pythons

[Apr 21, 2013]
Temaki69

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light and fast rolling.
handles great on hard packed surfaces

Not a good tire for sandy & loose conditions.
Very weak side walls.

I purchased a single speed 29er for riding XC trails. Bike came with both front and rear tires kenda small block. I loved the lightness of the tires and the way they handle on hard packed terrain.
i live in southern california, so the only time i see hard pack is after the rains (which we hardly get any).
once the terrain begins to loosen up it was a huge change... i find myself sliding left and right. I am ok with this, its a bit more tricky, but so far i have managed. The biggest disappointment is the weakness of the side walls. I have experienced 2 pinch flats so far (this is something i have never had problems with the specialized branded tires on my geared bike). It could be just me and my riding style. both times happened while riding uphill and making a turn on rocky conditions. Next set of tires will be tubeless..

[Mar 28, 2013]
TikiGoddess

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight and fast

poor traction on muddy, wet surfaces, slippery on snowy pavement and super scary to run on sand

These tires came stock on my 2012 Giant Rainer 29er and my initial impression of them was that they are amazing. These tires are responsive and fast on the pavement and packed trail. However, when I rode them on more technical stuff, they flat out stunk! I had to go thru muddy paths from melted snow, rocks and some sand and I was always scared of wiping out. I still ride it on trails but I try to stay away from the mud from now on. My bf is proposing switching out the front for a Maxxis Crossmark 29er and it seems like a good compromise. I would not mind keeping these as rear tires but the front has got to go if I'm ever going to do more serious stuff.

[Dec 15, 2012]
treesmasher

OVERALL
Strength:

This tire is light and rolls fast on the pavement and hard pack trail. You can find them pretty cheap online.

This tire is a death trap on the front of a bike in the woods. The first time out on this tire I hit just a little loam and I was doing the monkey dance. I spin this tire out on the back all the time also. There are better tires for going fast.

This tire is good when it dry and not loose and does great on the commuter bike but that is it. If your a superb rider and really light and super fit it might work on the trails but I don`t know how they pull it off. My friends that race and are super fast don`t like this tire either. I would only use it on the street or a bike I`m selling.

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.