Tranz-X Suspension seatpost Suspension Seatpost

Suspension seatpost

[Aug 22, 2003]
David Evans

OVERALL
Strength:

It works, it's cheap, and it is easy to maintain.

Not much travel. It is very sticky! You cant loosen it enough if you only weigh 140lbs.

Looks like there is only one complaint on these reviews, shoot, If I could do it again, I guess I would get it instead of spending $100's more for 10 more mm of travel.

[Aug 26, 2003]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

simple design, works well, allows me to stay in the seat most of the time, stiff suspension, high preload, and short travel make it good for hardtail MTBs.

no adjustments, but it doesn't seem to need any.

I bought a suspension seatpost for a few reasons. One was comfort. Two, I can ride faster on single track. Three, I can stay in the saddle and conserve energy. Four, the forces that can damage a bike frame and dent rims, are largely due to the weight of the rider either crashing down from above or refusing to move quickly up over trail hits. The suspension seatpost transfers those forces more gradually. Think of a Karate chop breaking bricks. Your bike frame is the bricks. Your body weight is the Karate chop. Sudden hard force is more likely to break the frame than the same force absorbed more slowly by a spring, whether you are crashing down, or the bike is forced up.

I bought identical Rincons for my wife and myself. My wife loves the seat/seatpost combination. I find it quite good myself. On the local single track, I can stay in the seat for all but the most severe hits and drops. I can even remain seated crossing over small logs and curbs.

The model we have is the JD-415. Others here appear to be reviewing different models. The design of this model is very simple with an "outrigger" shaft that keeps the seat from rotating on the seatpost. There is 30mm of travel and no adjustments. Other Tranz-X models have 40mm of travel with preload and rebound adjustments.

The suspension is quite stiff. I weigh 190lbs, ride some rough single track, and even though there is just over an inch of travel, I have never felt the seat suspension bottom out. I am sure it must be bottoming out, but there must be a very good bumper at the bottom, or the Rincon seat is absorbing the shock. There is no noticeable hit at the bottom of travel.

The short travel is actually good, since it keeps the relative position of the seat and pedals more consistent.

I would recommend this seatpost to anyone who is doubtful about using a suspension seatpost. Its stiffness and short travel allow it to do its job, without feeling mushy or bouncy. Even without rebound dampening, it only can rebound about an inch, so you don't really notice it. I have put about 300Km on this seatpost, and cannot remember ever feeling it oscillating up and down after a hit. I would guess that the designed-in preload, stiffness, and short travel account for this. I would think that this particular seatpost is better suited to hardtail mountain bikes than to comfort bikes.

The seatpost helps on DH, but I would not consider it a replacement for full suspension. I think it performs best XC on single track and logging roads.

I am pleased with this product to date and would recommend it. I do not know how well it will wear, but new, it works very well.

Cheers, Ron

[Oct 30, 2001]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap $$

Cheap quality

Paid less than $40 for it, and it shows. From week 1 it developed some sideplay which never went away. If you try to tighten the clamp to where there's no play, you also take out all the rebound, so it gets compressed and doesn't return unless you raise yourself off the seat. The collars used to fit it to my seat tube are cheap, could never get it to clamp without really cranking on the quick release.
Learned my lesson this time: Good stuff is rarely cheap, and cheap stuff is never good.

still better than no suspension, barely.

[Jan 03, 2002]
don

OVERALL
Strength:

low cost

the whole thing, well, for the money, i guess it isn't that bad.

never ridden any other suspension seatpost, so i have nothing to compare to, except a rigid post. it seems to help w/the bumps some, so my ass isn't killing me at the end of a ride, but that is it. the clamp that keeps it from getting wobbly from side to side, also keeps it from moving up and down, which eliminates the suspension aspect of the post. plus the clamp is made out of aluminum, and wears out fast. pretty soon, no matter how tight you tighten it, the seat still moves from side to side. if that doesn't bother you, than you probably won't mind the post. with both bolts completely tightened, the tip of my seat would wiggle about half an inch. i filed the clamp down a little, and now it doesn't wiggle much. i'll probably upgrade soon. mechanically, it's pretty simple, and besides the aluminum clamp, seems fairly sturdy. but it definitely is cheap.

[Sep 14, 2003]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

Worked well at first, for someone who doesn't want too much seat compression travel or too much bouncing.

Outrigger plastic guide failed after 400Km and post binds during motion. Bad design, the seat attachment is not directly above the compression column like RockShox post. Doomed to fail for heaver riders. No way to take it apart and serice it. It's a throw-away.

This is a follow up to the previous JD-415 review. I was very pleased with this seatpost to start, as you can see in the previous review, but I am now disgusted.

The design has a fatal flaw. The seat clamp is not centered over the post. It is behind the post. The outrigger post is in front. The mechanical force associated with compression causes torque on the main post and causes the outrigger post to crush and smear the plastic guide on the forward edge. This essentially destroys the plastic guide. The thing is designed to self detruct.

This inevitably must result in the outrigger sticking and binding. The whole seatpost then binds under compression and does not work.

There is no way to dissasemble the seatpost to service it. The thing is a throw away, at less than two months and 400Km.

It's a piece of junk. Sorry for misleading people with the previous review.

[Oct 21, 2001]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Gives the butt a good rest and takes the shock well.

You have to clean it out and lube it on a regular basis.

This is a really pretty good product for the money. I agree with the guy who said take it apart and clean and lube it on a regular basis, about every 2 months. For the screw back out problem, you can use a little tooth paste or some locktite. I have not had a problem but as soon as I feel side play I adjust the collar on the neck of it. Usually less than a 1/4 turn per side gets it. All in all this is a really good product and after a year works fine. I ride nothing but trails, and have had some really serious crashes that have cost me two rims, a seat that got bent but this item survived and a few broken ribs, black and blue spots, nicks, cuts, and a chipped shin bone. Not bad for a 43 yr old guy. lol I luv mountain biking trails.

no clue

[Jul 31, 2001]
Vic

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap, easily adjustable

where do i begin....

not worth the money is the bottom line dammit. i didn't get a year's worth out of this piece of junk. i weigh 150, my level is intermediate--what does that tell you. side to side play came in a month ago and today i just broke it, and not at a good time too! don't buy this; companies who sell crap like this to kids who work damn hard for their money need to die.

bamboo stick

[Mar 02, 2001]
Dan Roberts

OVERALL
Strength:

-Price
-Aesthetics
-Strength
-Size & Length

-Virtually no spring back
-inefective with heavier riders
-Adjustment screw loosens itself

With virtually no spring back after compression, and a forever loosening adjustment scew the only thing going for it is its Aesthetics, and superior strength in comparison to standard seat posts.
I would say it is good for commuters who stick to roads, but due to the lack of spring-back, I would not advise it for off-road cyclists.

X-Shox seat post damper

[Jan 18, 2001]
KinG KiKApu

OVERALL
Strength:

+Price
+strength
+active
+looks good
+fits most bikes
+ajustability

-Price
-weight
-0.5' to 0.75' travel
-stiff in winter

Ok post, especially for the money. Great way to ease up the A$$ with little bucks. DO USE FOR DOWNHILL.

k2 flexpost

[Dec 20, 2000]
Walter Buis

OVERALL
Strength:

graet price, nice chance to try a suspension seatpost

When riding product's tension adjustor loosens and allows the seat to move from left to right. Tends to take in water and mud in the wet season.

nice chance to try a suspension seatpost without paying big bucks. defenitely entry level. I already ordered a rock-shox.

none, but my friend has a rock-shox, feels a little better, but lasts al lot longer. (costs about 10 x as much...)

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.