Tamer Post-Centric Seatpost (older models) Suspension Seatpost

[Sep 24, 1998]
Matt Gersib
racer

OVERALL

Sorry about your unfortunate incident Kirk. You obviously had a post that was an earlier design, but your abuse of Tamer is unfortunate. Since you mentioned the self-serving Tamer ads..., I'll set your record straight. I'm not a Tamer employee. I was two years ago, but have since moved to Colorado, and am a semi-professional mountain bike racer. I've been running the same Tamer Pro Carbon seatpost since my original post in January of '98. Since then, I've had the post apart for cleaning/lubing twice, and have won a NORBA NCS race with the post on my bike (Breckenridge). No other maintenance, no problems. I'll be at the 24 hours of Moab with the same post. It's obvious that Kevin has his posts sorted out.Like I said, sorry about your leg. That's really bad, but your experience isn't necessarily indicitive of the quality that's going into these posts. If you had any idea of how many of these posts are out there, you'd understand that, at times, there are warranty issues stemming from unforseen manufacturing variances. It's just a bummer that you got one of these anomolies.Thanks for the advice...I'll keep mine.

[Dec 20, 2000]
CHRIS DYWELSKA

OVERALL
Strength:

DOES THE JOB.

IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE WEIGHT

Listen I am what most of you call a lard ass, 6'5 and 235lbs
but this thing is still under me and is still working just fine, I don't like these things I feel that the design is
wrong, but it is still working just fine and shows no sign of quiting soon, I keep it lubed with axel grease and there
has been no stiction since. I have seen them break and I expect this one to go someday, but til then, lets go riden,
if it had not came with the 8000lt there's no way in hell
that I would have went out to buy one (maybe a pivot type),
when this goes the best way to go is with a THOMSON ELITE,
and you can forget about it.

GIANI

[Oct 29, 1999]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

takes edge off bumps

Unable to keep tightened.
Breaks.
Stiction.

After getting the right elastomers (the hard black ones were too firm) I rode it for about 6 months. Then it broke at the top just above the upper elastomer. I don't do big drop offs but I do weight 200. Taken back to LSB for warranty claim. Seatpost was lost when returned to Tamer. Taken over 6 weeks to get any action despite numerousd calls by LBS. Bought new FSR while waiting. Tamer can keep the seatpost now! NOT recomended, you could easily end up with some serious injuries to parts that you don't want injured.

[May 24, 1999]
felix
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL

i love my post; i've had it for 3 yrs with no problems. how the hell can anyone break it is beyond me, i weight approx 180 and would never believe that the post can snap. if i needed a new one, Tamer would be my first choice again

[Nov 03, 1998]
Juan

OVERALL

I spent over $100 on a piece of crap tamer suspension seatpost. I'd ridden a $40 Giant post, and a Coda suspension seat post and was impressed by the action they had. I thought I'd be getting what I'd pay for with the Tamer and I was wrong. I've tried changing elastomers and everything to get it to perform half as good as the other posts I tried. It sucks! I wish I could get my money back. Don't make the same mistake I did! You don't alway get what you pay for.

[Oct 27, 1998]
g. garcia

OVERALL

Man, it sounds like there is a war going on here. I'll give my 2 cents worth.Had a Tamer Centrik in like '96. Good post. I raced it for a season and sold it with the bike. Used a USE in '97. OK, but it seemed like I had to rebuild it all the time to keep it working good. Got a new pro carbon in march of this year. This is a kick a-- seatpost! The carbon fiber is super-cool. I've had it apart once to lube the bumpers, and it continues to work perfectly. Very little stiction, and I can climb better on rough uphills. The older post was good. This one is quite a bit better than the USE even, and I'd say that's pretty good.

[Oct 27, 1998]
kirk
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I stand by my earlier review- the more of these things that are out there the more I feel I should warn people not to use them- I'd been using a Tamer seatpost since '95 and it never worked right- 1st it was too much side- to- side play so they said send it back they had a new design (by the way Matt that was you I talked to). Got the post back and it worked about two weeks and then the bottom bushing broke loose and the whole upper post and saddle would rotate. I called them back they said send it in they had a new design(again) so I did. Got it back,rode it about ten times ,and then it snapped on me. I called and talked to Kevin who said they had a new design (again?) and they'd get my replacement parts out the next day. Two weeks later I still hadn't seen those parts-called and left message for Kevin-Five days later still no parts (and no response from Tamer) so I left my earlier review on this site. A week after that I got an email from Kevin proclaiming Tamer's service supreme but guess what? I still didn't have the parts he'd promised a month before-so he sent them out requiring a signature on delivery like I was some kind of deadbeat trying to rip off this junk- and then guess what? I get my new re-designed post parts and they look just like the ones that snapped off on me- I tried to give Tamer the benefit of the doubt at first but these things break under normal use and they shouldn't- Sorry Matt if the truth hurts- go elsewhere for your seatpost needs, everybody!!!!

[Sep 28, 1998]
Joe

OVERALL

Had the same problem as Kirk below with the aluminum post. The post snapped at the threads near the lower bushing after 6 months. The post did a good job of taking the edge off small bumps, but it isnt the same as full suspension. I would stay from Tamer. Seems like a major design flaw on a critical component.

[Sep 08, 1998]
Kirk Wilson

OVERALL

If you want to take the edge off a hardtail's ride then a suspension post is the wayto go- but whatever you do , STAY AWAY FROM TAMER!!!! In my opinion this post is dangerous and they should all be recalled. Mine snapped off where the lower bushing threads are inside the housing- resulting in a jagged ended tube sticking up out of the seattube- also resulting in a 4 gash on the inside of my right thigh. Tamer has known about this design flaw since at least Feb '97 (see review below). Do yourself a favor and possibly prevent another Bobbit incident- get your seatpost from a reputable component manufacturer ( and ignore the self-serving Tamer ads submitted below by a Tamer employee)- NO STARS- NO WAY- IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!

[Jun 16, 1998]
Freddie Stoner
weekend warrior

OVERALL

In terms of quality, there is no difference between bike components than any other component, you get what you pay for. The comfort plus is the entry level suspension seatpost from Tamer, and it performs as expected. Common to all telescoping designs, the Tamer suffers from severe stiction. The offset seatpost clamp contributes to this problem making it impossible to adjust so that the weight of your body is in line with the axis of the seatpost. This is common physics and the guys at Tamer should have realized that when they designed it. One good note however is that this post does do a good job at softening the high frequency vibrations. This is evident from the lack of the normal rear-end soreness after a 2-3 hour cross country ride. I would recommend this seatpost only if you are currently suffering from soreness that keeps you from riding more frequently. A blessing in disguise, my Tamer was recently stolen from my bike. My next post will be a Thudbuster or Moxey.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.