Kalloy Susp. Post Suspension Seatpost

Kalloy Susp. Post

[Jul 23, 2008]
benjie30

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap with great look

Too Heavy

On the first use i felt the difference, very easy to adjust

n/a

[Nov 12, 2001]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

It moves up and down like it's supposed to, seems like solid construction.

Heavy.

Bought one of these babies for $19, as I wasn't going to plop down 100+ bucks for a suspension seatpost until I was convinced these things work. What can you get for $19 these days anyways? All I can say, yes they do work as advertised! Really cushions out the bumpy roads I travel on and smooths out the hardpack trails considerably.

I put this thing on my postal scale and it came out to 540 grams (+-5 grams). Not that you would need a scale to figure out it's a brick anyways -- it's practically a lethal weapon if you want to club someone with it! Then again, any weight nut reading this will realize they aren't going to get anything lightweight for this cheap so the weight should not be an issue really. Now that I know these suspension posts work, I may seriously consider getting a lightweight, higher-cost model, with a little more travel for my future needs. For now though, I'm happy with my purchase!

[Jul 20, 1999]
Bruce

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, smooth, kills the small bumps nicely.

Wobbles to and fro about 5 degrees. Gives one an uncertain feeling about the rear wheel until one becomes accustomed to the feel. Undampened spring.

I have the Kalloy Uno suspension post. Because it uses an undampened spring, when I get lazy and forget to rise for a bump, the initial bump is absorbed well, but there is a fair-sized rebound aftershock. Handles the small bumps of dirt roads competently. The wobbly nature of my post too some getting used to. It's nice when the seat rocks back and forth while I'm pedalling on the flats, but that wobbly motion masks a lot of information on what the tail end of my hardtail bike is doing more that full suspension does, way more than a rigid post does. It gets a 5 for the flats and dirt roads, 3 for singletrack, and a zero for the tough stuff because you shouldn't be sitting down for that.

[Jul 20, 2000]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive.

Only an inch of travel, needs frequent lubing to overcome stiction (which otherwise prevents it from responding to small bumps), is undamped so it can propel you skyward on big hits.

If you want a cheap suspension seatpost to take the edge of bumps, the Kalloy seatpost will work, but barely. I use it on my commuter bike, which spends 3/4 of the time on the road, and is frequently locked up where it could be stolen, so I didn't want to make a huge investment. It's worked for me, in that it does a noticeable enough job of absorbing bumps. But for serious off-road riding i wouldn't recommend it -- spend the money and get a Thudbuster or Moxy seatpost instead.

None.

[Mar 23, 2000]
VeloBat

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, it actually works

Heavy

I've been having lower back problems with my MB-ZIP for several years. Seems to get worse every year (naturally me getting older doesn't help). At first I thought I was becoming less flexible and that I was stretched out too much. I tried going with shorter stems but that just got me a couple of ungraceful dismounts as it really screwed up the handling .. and didn't seem to help the back pain.

Then low and behold my Orthopedist told me to put a suspension seatpost on my bike. He said he has one .. of course he only rides his bike on the street and mostly commuting so I was kinda skeptical.

There's a lot of hype around bike parts and all the wonders they'll do so I was kind of cautious and bought the cheapest seatpost I could find. It just broke my heart to replace my light Control Tech seatpost with this thing that weighs as much as the "Club" steering wheel lock that I use on my truck.

First ride and no more pain. All those nasty little surprises I get when I hit a root or something were absorbed by this thing. Second ride .. same thing. I was more than pleasntly surprised.

To be honest, now that I've found out that these things work I'm gonna go out and buy a more expensive, lighter one.

[Mar 13, 2000]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

Yes it's strong

Heavy

I should have known it wasn't possible to do it on the cheap.
This post was so hard it only came onto action on bumps where common sense tells you not to be lazy and stand up.I did a bit of damage to my ass just trying to get it to give. When I
succeeded, it was not without due regret as every action has it's equal reaction as far as springs are concerned...fly me to the moon.. I am about 150 lbs so maybe I would have been better seved by the soft spring version but I doubt it cause the USE post is a different animal.Light and constantly active ELASTOMER that damps, complements the Manitou forks nicely.

USE SXR

[Oct 11, 1999]
Rui

OVERALL
Strength:

very cheap

heavy

This seatpost shock keeps me on the seat, and is ok when riding through flat rough terrain, where I normally would have to stand. However, I found this seatpost to gain a lot of sideplay. Altough I am able to decrease this sideplay, that is going to decrease the confort.

[Sep 07, 1999]
Neville

OVERALL
Strength:

Provides soft tail riding cheaply

It wobbles ... a lot.
I'm now upgrading to a USE

It works and it's cheap. It makes a RADICAL change to an aluminum hardtail - changes the whole ride experience. Allows you to experience susp seatpost technology without breaking the bank.I would strongly recommend one to Weekend Warriors.BUT ... if you're a serious rider ... spend a bit more.

[Jul 05, 1999]
Elmer
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Real cheap

Does a good job!

[Jun 26, 1999]
Altered Ego
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Smoooooooth

Wieght

This thing does the trick..
'Nuff said

N/A

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.