Cane Creek Thudbuster Suspension Seatpost

Thudbuster Suspension Post

[Oct 21, 2017]
WinnipegXCRider

OVERALL
Strength:

I have mostly used when commuting and it really has taken out the hits from the expansion joints on poorly maintained roads in our frost beaten roads. It has been jumped off of a lot of curbs and saved my spine effectively. Supplying six matched weight specific elastomer parts is a good idea since I carry a lot more weight on my back now that I commute the bike. The heavy elastomers easily handled me and additional weight totalling ~220 lbs.
I did not find any issues with pedal efficiency - I have never experienced noticeable rear suspension like bobbing on long commutes maybe because I chose a stiffer setting of the elastomer bushings - I still found that with relatively stiff setting that the bumps were smoothed decently and the kick was manageable.

You really need to watch the big hits. Because the elastomer suspension is basically a spring with instant rebound, you need to learn to time when to be in/out saddle or it will buck like a horse. Having said this I have never had an accident due to the kick back and the learning curve is not too steep.
After years of dropping off curbs (in my commutes) it has finally worn out and I don't think that it is serviceable since it wore out where the seat post itself if pressed into the (beautifully CNC machined) head of the suspension .
So it is now wobbly at that press fit and I will retire it rather than risking being impaled in a most painful way on the seat post.
Full disclosure: To give more "cockpit" room I pushed the seat as far back on the rails as possible, causing more stress on the seat post than most installations likely would.

This is a poor man's full suspension and as such it helps little for rear wheel hop on roots - however if used as I intended it did an admirable job at cushioning the ride.
I bought it at a bargain, it lasted more curb drops than my XC rims so I am not upset with lifespan of the part.
I just found a cheap Mountain Equipment Co-op (Canada) seat post that I will try before deciding whether to invest in another Thudbuster.

[Jan 26, 2017]
Brad
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Makes rough terrain easy to handle

Absolutely None

Figured I'd write a newer review. Bought the thudbuster long travel because of all the great reviews. The reviews as good as they are don't do it justice. I was hoping for the best and figured I could always sell it if I did not like it. It far exceeded my expectations. It is on my Diamondback El Oso fat bike. I been riding a new place by me which is 80% rock covered. And not small stones these are more like small boulders. A great place to test the thudbuster. I can't believe how smooth it makes the trails , really you don't even notice the seat moving . Been using it for about 6 weeks which where I've been riding is enough time to say Wow just Wow. This thing is amazing. It you have a hard tail old rigid this is a must have. One note . Because of the part that has the elastomers and moves it is 5 inches so if your short the seat will not go all the way down. So account for that 5 inches. I have a commuter bike but I need the seat all the way down to the frame so I can't use the thudbuster for that. That's a bummer.to sum up don't wait go buy one now! Oh and I think it's kinda cool looking on the bike and yes very light weight .

[Dec 18, 2015]
pelts79
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Mellows out the trail, keeps the saddle to pedal height the same, easy to change elastomers, and built well.

Get some rebound over big hits, adds a little weight, looks kinda funky (comfort over fashion)

Takes the edge out of rough terrain. It will not turn your ride into a full suspension, but it really does a very good job at what it is designed for. I put one on my rigid fat bike and really like how it functions. It took me a little while to set things up right for my cock pit as the Thudbuster moves rearward when seated and compressing. I also went with a little shorter stem. Bike set up feels spot on and a lot less jolts to the body. Really a good product.

[Jul 09, 2013]
Ken Christensen

OVERALL
Strength:

Do not know of strengths, I ordered from Thudbuster and did not receive product!

I ordered the seat post and they emailed me a receipt. After a month I still have not received anything. All of my calls go to voice mail and emails are not acknowledged. Are they still in business?

No customer service at this company. Many calls and emails never returned. Cancelling credit card charge.

[Feb 12, 2013]
Oldslowhurt

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy. I have 2 and have been using them a few times a week for about 6 years (from April to Nov) with no maintenance except for an occasional greasing or oiling of all moveable parts.

Not as good as full suspension but as close to it as you can get.

I have used Long Travel Thudbusters, Rockshox, White Bros Air, and Nitropro Gas, and none give the travel or the smooth ride of a TB LT in the rough stuff. Yeah they have kickback, but we are cleated in so that really isn't an issue. 2 friends also use them on their carbon fiber hardtails which they race.

Rockshox, White Bros Air, and Nitropro Gas

[Sep 03, 2012]
rich

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic product. Makes your butt float. Nice and buttery

Heavy

I bought this for my hardtail and it is amazing! It's like butter. I have more control when sitting because my butt is not bouncing off the seat when I pedal. I can ride better too because I don't have to worry about protecting my back, which no longer hurts when I am done riding.

[Jul 11, 2012]
Marc

OVERALL
Strength:

Does what is says it'll do
Well built

A bit pricey but WELL worth it

I have had a Thudbuster LT one at least one of my bikes for over a decade now....EXCELLENT product. Traditional suspension seat posts don't compare due to sticktion and the fact that your body positon moves closer, then farther away, from the pedal. Thudbuster keep your body the same distance from the pedals.

I've found that using a slightly softer elastomer combination than recommended yields the best result. At 215 lbs, I should be using one black and one blue, but I use two of the softer blue ones. You can then dial in the suspension by a) tightening the preload, and/or b) move your seat slightly forward, giving your body less leverage to move the elastomer. I agree with an earlier comment that you may want to shorten your stem slightly for optimal geometry, but this is by no means a requirement.

For reference: most of my trail riding on this post was with a carbon hardtail. The combination is awesome. I've since bought a Niner RIP full suspension for most of my mouintain stuff (I'm 48 now) but have moved my still fully functionning (after 11 years) Thudbuster to my city bike.....a fisther ziggurate aluminum frame paired with a rock shox reba fork and thin 700c Mavic Speedcity wheels all sitting under the thudbuster and an all leather 'pre-aged' brooks leather saddle. WOW!

[Jun 23, 2012]
CT

OVERALL
Strength:

Does exactly what it says it does.

You MUST shorten your stem by 10mm to provide the correct geometry and not kill your knees - Cane Creek should tell you this as a mandatory procedure, but they don't. This is a MUST.

So, here's the real deal...in the San Juan Mountains, where I ride, everything is either up or down. Piloting an aluminum hardtail over these rock and root strewn trails is not an easy thing. My problem - I love hardtails. FS bikes don't have the maneuverability or trail response that a hardtail does and moreover they change your riding style. The Thud makes the trails bearable, adds better tracking to the back of the bike and allows you to stay in the seat more. It is not like a FS bike. It's bouncy and will sometimes pops you out of the seat for a brief second on big rollers. However, it also soaks us all the little stuff (as long as you pedal through it) and does not send through your lower back and sit bones. It makes you a more efficient rider - point blank. It changes your riding style ever so slightly, but for the better. However, as I stated above, this changes your geometry slightly - you must readjust (usually by slightly shortening your stem) so that you don't put additional stress on other parts of your body.

IMPORTANT NOTES: If this is hurting your knees - you have it set up wrong. If you're an older person looking to soften the ride, you should get a full-carbon or FS bike or stop riding rough trails altogether. If you have back problems, you should limit your riding - the Thud will not take all the stress out of your lower back - it just distributes it better. If you live in a place with rocky root-filled trails and you are tried of getting ejected off the seat of you hardtail, this is the post for you. I can't imagine putting a Thud LT on a road bike, but then-again, some people live in NYC.

[Jun 11, 2012]
stephen watkinson

OVERALL
Strength:

super strong

none that i can think of

decided to use product when i bought my scott scale carbon hardtail i have a underlying back problem and riding my bike
with the thudbuster fitted was a blessing it was almost like having full suspension fitted i ditched full suspension because
tired off shelling out for pivot bushes this product combined with my carbon hardtail was definately the answer anybody
with back problems this product is the solution i know it s a bit expensive but not as much as changing pivot bushes

[May 29, 2012]
Rubber Duck

OVERALL
Strength:

It will definitely make those long rides easier on your behind.

none that I've encountered

It's a little expensive but it works as advertised. (very well)

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.