Progressive Suspension 5th Element Air Rear Shock

• Lightest aftermarket shock on the market - SUB 200 grams, for the 6.5” eye to eye length.
  • Uses 5th Element™ CV/t™ (Control alve Technology) as used in the 5th Element™ coil shock.
  • Adjustable Platform Damping™ eliminates need for a lock out system as used in other shocks.
  • Adjustable rebound damping allows for refined traction and handling capabilities.
  • Spherical ball joints in both mounting eyelets insure smooth action & improved durability, even on commonly found misaligned frame mounts.
  • Lowest compression ratio allows for more usable travel.
  • CV/t™ and a new technology air spring piston utilize the industries lowest air spring pressures for an incredibly smooth ride and long seal life.

[Feb 28, 2019]
SantaCruzMan

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice when working properly

Bottoms out when I am on the bike and I am only 180. Also, when bunny hopping it is a rough landing because it stays bottom out.

Purchased:
Used
[Jan 10, 2009]
chair_is_the_man
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

light

great for
: trails
: road gaps
: DJ's
: DH
i recommend this product to some one who is no more than 80kg. i'm 59kgs but my frend rides my bike alot and hes about 95-100kgs
all over great
but not as good as Fox DHX air

fox DHX air

[Oct 14, 2008]
MCMickey

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice colour, Very cheap(you get what you pay for)

Valves are weak and bend easily, paintwork is shocking and comes off quickly, does not hold pressure for more than fifty feet.

This is a real pile of $H%T, It completely blew on a very mild single track two foot jump, don't even consider this shock unless they give you an unlimited supply of replacements!

Fox RP3

[Jun 02, 2008]
Mike Reynolds

Strength:

Schrader inflation valves diameter undersize,tons of pedal bob,loses air after a 1 fooy drop

I have 2 of these shocks both have failed,5th element replaced the first shock with no fuss, The inflation valve threads are very poor fit,so much so i have to use ptfe tape in order to reach the max pressure..

[Mar 31, 2004]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

When it works, it is awesome! It completely eliminates bob inherent to the single pivot design. It is an elegant design and light weight production. I just wish it worked for more than 3-4 rides.

It fails... I have had the same problem four times now. After a rugged descent, the rear end will pogo/bob uncontrollably while pedaling. It feels like a flat rear tire. Closer examination reveals that it is due to a lack of spring rate in the initial 1/2" of shock travel. Other symptoms include loss of rebound dampening. Both air chambers appear to maintain their pre-established pressure, but something is noticeably wrong internally. Worse yet, every time I try to get it warrantied, Santa Cruz and Progressive throw me back and forth telling me the other has the responsibility to deal with it until one of them cave. They always make me pay return shipping. It takes weeks to months to get it all done. I have had the bike for a little over 6 months. I have very little opportunity to ride it because of the repeated Progressive 5th Air failures. I waited 9 months to get the bike... It is a bit pathetic on both companies’ parts. I have always read about Santa Cruz's superior customer service... but I have failed to see it.

To be fair, it is a great shock and an exciting design. I have a friend who has had great luck with his 5th Air. It seems to be hit or miss. I just keeping getting the misses. :( If it held up to normal use, it would definitely be the highest ranked product in the niche of rear shocks. Also, if the frame seller and shock producer had better customer service, it wouldn't be getting tanked so much on this review board. It is a disservice to the industry if you alienate the people that support it by spending thousands on their bikes. I think it is time to try the competitions goods. I know they are getting better reviews. Look for yourself.

Fisher Sugar Team, GT LTS, Maverick ML7

[Sep 07, 2007]
Robert Molan

OVERALL
Strength:

dont know it failed before first ride

both air chambers leak - cannot ride more then 20 meters without total deflation.

just doesnt hold air pressure

nil first full suspension bike

[Feb 29, 2004]
Thor

OVERALL
Strength:

It kinda worked. Light weight.

It kinda didn't. Repeatedly bottom out even on highest pressure.

Using the specs from Santa Cruz and Progressive, the maximum shock pressure (for my 215 lbs) still caused excessive sag. I found I repeatedly would bottom out the shock and it simply felt 'funny' - in a bad way (confirmed by Carl the super mechanic). I looked on MTBR and learned that a lot of people are having similar problems.rather than return the shock 3+ times like some other people, I think I'm going to trade in the shock for a cloud nine.

Fox RL.

[Jul 27, 2007]
Phill Jung

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight

I never really got it. The 5th element has always worked wonderful for me. I'm not hucking my bike, but I tend to really beat on it and the shock has never given me a single problem in the last two years. The shock got nothing but stellar reviews when it came out. You can pick one up new for next to nothing because of the negative reviews left on MTBR and I would highly recomend doing so.

Fox Vanilla

[Apr 02, 2006]
anthony
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light, mine is tough (its taken 7-8ft drops, scared to push it any further tho)

rebound is shot to hell,

For an air shock its tough. I've seen it in videos on an sx (not trail) version doing drops bigger than mine to tranny (i land somewhat flat). My rebound control is totally useless. Im riding a pogostick on wheels. im only running 115psi in the main chamber, and 110 in the rear pedaling champer and its still springy. The knob does nothing to change the feeling. Probably a defect, so ill be sending it back to get fixed once my Fox DHX comes in. I will be keeping this shock for XC use because its incredibly light.

[Mar 15, 2006]
Raul Hevia

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple adjusting, good performing shock, light.

Not strong enough, design flaws has made this shock to bust twice on 2 different shocks.
Unreliable.
Specialized is no longer offering this shock with their Enduros. They are offering the Fox DHX Air and are offering a discounted price for those who got the Enduro with a 5th Element if you want to replace it.

Dissapointed on durability, although the shock performs well under extreme trail conditions. I ride mostly in St. George, UT area. Trails are rocky, technical and demanding. Bikes take a pounding here.

The first shock that came with the bike would not hold air for the rebound chamber the first day I bought the bike. The shop Red Rock Bicycles gave me a new one of a new bike to replace it. Those people rock! The replacement shock lasted 5 months of use 3 times/ week average for 5 months, and started leaking oil so its been sent to Progressive for repair. They are good about warranty, but, they are not particularly quick to get it done. They got the shock and said they would get to it within 9 days and either rebuild it or replace it. Add shipping time to it and you are out 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. A bit aggravating.

plenty of them to list.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.