Manitou Swinger SPV Air Rear Shock

Featuring Stable Platform Valve (SPV) damping technology

[Feb 24, 2019]

OVERALL
Strength:

I replaced the always air leaking Fox RP23 2010 and a RockShox Monarch RT3 2012 that both need factory service and that as a horrible price. Found a Manitou Swinger 4-way Air and tried it. First ride pumped air in according to manual and the ride was so much better than both the Fox and the Monarch when those were new, that I am telling myself I have been an idiot not listening to friends that told me dual canister shocks are much better and not comparable to single. Fox is overrated and in no way better than the RockShox Monarch which lasted twice as long as the Fox before needing service (leaking oil).

Easy to set up and with 35% sag it is plush (160psi main and 80psi SPV) like no bumps and no pedal bob at all. The Swinger 4-way is serviceable and I ordered a complete rebuild kit so I will be able to maintain it at least once, but with the experience I have with Manitou that might never be needed. I had a Manitou fork 80-100mm on a Scott Strike Carbon from 2003 till the bike got stolen in 2010 and it never needed any kind of service and was never was leaking oil. Never more FOX or RockShox when the old 2004 from Manitou is so much better.

[Feb 22, 2019]

[Feb 22, 2019]

[Jul 01, 2009]
MattZo

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliability and tuning options

Difficulty in getting precise pressures

I regard myself as heavy at around 225lbs. I was worried about the shock blowing on rocky downhill sections but have not suffered any issues at all. I think that it is probably more to do with the leverages of the frame but i rarely get close to bottoming out the shock with the sag set to 35% and the SPV valve wound right out. Maybe I'm just not aggressive enough!

Fox coil shocks

[Oct 27, 2008]
jSatch

OVERALL
Strength:

Swinger 3-way: Smooth, good SPV, no leaks after setting.
Best feature- set and forget

SPV valve leaks when detaching pump. It leaks reliably 15psi, so I just over-inflate by 15 psi. Odd, not same issue when filling main chamber. Not really a weakness once you are aware of it.
Not quite a coil ride (but lighter).

I prefer this to the Fox. I like the set and forget. Too many times I've forgotten to switch out the lockout of the Fox until I'm going downhill. My bad. The Swinger SPV does a nice job when climbing, so no switch needed. One less thing to grab for, or think about, when riding.
I get the feeling that the Swinger is smoother, less bouncy than the Fox. Different bikes, so not sure. Still not a coil. I haven't tried the Fox RP23 model though.
Your milage may vary.

Fox Float

[Oct 26, 2008]
Mike Sinkoski

OVERALL
Strength:

adjustability, and serviceability

this is for the 3 way spv air, shock is bottomless feeling with a platform that keeps all that supple travel from sapping your power. the rebound can be adjusted from none to dead slow and the air pressures are less than the same sag on a fox shock, anyone thinking of upgrading a older rig with a newer shock with spv wont be sorry. This shock transforms the suspension feel of my fsr that it feels like a new bike. I dont know if a rp23 is comparable but it seems that there is only 3 settings for the platform where the swinger is infinately adjustable.

fox float

[Oct 06, 2008]
joker24

OVERALL
Strength:

Super adjustable, doesn't leak, very smooth

This shock is light, durable, and only needs to be set up once. Every aspect of the shock is adjustable, and the directions are very simple to follow. The SPV platform works well and really improves the efficiency of a single pivot frame like the Joker. If you have an older single pivot frame you love but are wishing for a more efficient ride, this is definitely a cheap way to get a lot more performance out of your ride.

Fox Vanilla R

[Sep 04, 2008]
wisemonkey72

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth performance, easy to set up, rebound adjust works pretty nice. spv valve is a nice feature. really nice xc shock.

why oh why oh why does the airvalve screw into the shock body, this is a really lame design. i find it really fiddly inflating as the valve seems to come loose whenever i remove my pump.

i like the shock i really do, this bike has had alo of action this summer and the swinger laps up the downhills and climbs lovely, works really nicely with my u turns. but the airvalve is a real shame. my i drive is now in the hands of my girlfriend as i have a new machine now, and i have to say i will be sticking with fox shocks from now on.

all the fox ones,fox float, rp2,rp23

[Jun 25, 2008]
darrinw2001

OVERALL
Strength:

adjustability, SPV is great for no pedal bob

none yet, I do have to pump a litle air in before every ride, but being over 260lbs, i expect that

So far so good for a larger "Clydesdale" rider. I needed air shocks due to my size and this has fit the bill so far. I got a great deal on this bike used on Craig's list, and so far my favorite thing about it is the shock and the Manitou Black Super Air forks! I hve put it to test on some pretty rough trails so far and have not bottomed out yet.

coil over

[Jun 24, 2008]
Bryan Corbridge

OVERALL
Strength:

This is for the 3 way swinger with SPV. Light weight, multiple adjustments and good customer service.

None so far.

I recently purchased this shock on E-bay just rebuilt by Manitou. I was looking to replace my coil over shock for something with less pedal bob but with the smoothness I need. I researched every shock on the market extensively and found that the Manitou offered the features I was looking for. I was right. Love the adjustability. Seems to be almost endless possibilities. You can set it up as firm or soft as you like. I set it up to be plenty active to supply the smoothness but enough air in the SPV to offer the pedaling efficiency I needed. Set the rebound in the medium and I have a shock that is smooth and efficient. Love it!!! Granted I've only had the shock for a short period of time, but will submit another sometime down the road.

Fox Vanilla.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.