Manitou Radium Expert Rear Shock

• Bushings: Steel/Teflon

[Sep 17, 2014]
Phil

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth XC shock, set and forget, great value

No compression adjustment.

I am relatively new to FS mountain bikes but I have had a Kind-Shock KS291 oil filled coil-over, also a Tough Shock oil filled coil-over on my bike. Both are budget shocks and they are adequate for mild trail riding but their action wasn't what I would call smooth. The Manitou Radium Expert in comparison is night and day different because of the supple small bump absorption and midrange smoothness. As others have said, you can bottom it out on big stuff but keep in mind that it wasn't designed as a competitive downhill shock. Within it's design limits, you can't beat the value and the "set and forget" performance.

[Dec 09, 2013]
thomllama

OVERALL
Strength:

reasonably light, MUCH more reasonably priced, easy, works

rebound Adjustment knob hard to get at

I've gone thro a few different shocks, mostly Rock Shox (multiple monarchs, RT versions, a Fox something, and a Risse Racing Astro) and found them all to be WAY overly stiff (except the Risse, it's nice other than weather issues). If you set the air pressure low enough to get a 1/2 way decent small bump ride the thing bottoms out on anything over a few inches.

I had a Raduim years ago on my old K2 and it was about the best "ride" bike I've ever been on. So after getting tired of the constant adjustments needed to the Risse with weather flux I decided to try a Radium again... I am SOOO glad I did! great small bump and yet it never "feels" like it's bottoming out (thou it does get there by the o-ring) Just don't get that SLAM the others had when on top and can actually use it through the trail and all it's different bumps and drops.

there is a small amount of pedal bob but you're going to have it if you want TRUE small bump compliance.

it sits in the $180-200 price range but you can often find sales in the 160ish range