Fox Shox Float RP23 Rear Shock

The mountain bike air shock that started a suspension revolution. The Float line packs a ton of performance and pedaling efficiency into a lightweight package, for XC racing to All-mountain riding.

[Sep 13, 2018]
SpecialK cereal

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty good got as a cheap replacement to my dh bike and haven't changed it since. Partly because dh shocks are to expensive

Kinda hard to use

2013
[Aug 30, 2018]
Rontenbichler

OVERALL
Strength:

Strengths: - works fine as long as ist lasts - looks "important"

Weaknesses: - starts smacking relatively quickly after Service - Propedal stops working soon after Service - it really need the annual service badly,even if you just ride occasionally I haven been using the 2012 BV XV damper in a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR for 5 years now. For the money it works fine, but durability is bad. Im a a light rider, neither exceptionally fast nor doing big drops. The volume reducer shims were no use for me, I needed higher Boostvalve Pressure to get rid of the damper rushing through its travel with correct sag settings for my weight. As the damper really has to get a Service every year, its expensive in maintenance.

Price Paid:
2012
[Nov 05, 2014]
Dylan

OVERALL
Strength:

Good,smooth

Not good for huge impact, tech dh

Overall good smooth shock, but today I landed flat and it blew out,not good for massive impact, jumping, but really good for xc, semi tech trails

[Jan 11, 2014]
Avishade

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a decent shock while it lasts.

I've warrantied it 3 times within the 1st year now that its out of warranty fox expects me to pay to fix the same problem.

The 2012 shock came new with a harsh thunk at the top of the stroke when propedsl was engaged sent it in several times within the 1st 6 months. Now the propedal stopped working and has a thump at the top of the stroke, it's just out of warranty. Obviously a bad shock from the start but I'm supposed to pay to have it fixed from here on out. Very chintzy. I've seen a lot of problems with this 2012 batch I think fox should recall them or aknowledge the problem.

[Jul 26, 2013]
sam moore

OVERALL
Strength:

The good things about this shock are that it is simple and good for moderately technical track i give this a 10/10.

no thing.

great sock bit to expensive but i am 12 years old and i got it on my trek fuel ex 9.
GREAT SHOCK!!:)

[Jun 29, 2013]
Will

OVERALL
Strength:

seals seem to last

2nd shock where propedal does not work or has very limited effect.

Not impressed with this shock. I've had two versions on two different frames and both have had issues with propedal out of the box. As it it DOES NOT DO ANYTHING. Next shock will not be fox I hope.

[Dec 03, 2012]
Lets Try Science

OVERALL
Strength:

Seals have lasted a long time.

Blows through travel if sag is set correctly. To fix I'm supposed to pay Fox $25 for a spacer kit which looks like it contains $0.20 of plastic.
Pro-pedal does nothing if your over 180lbs.
Rebound adjustments aren't gradual enough.

The performance does not reflect the price. I hate the need to send Fox forks and shocks off to PUSH to get them to work correctly.

[Aug 27, 2012]
Celmeleon

OVERALL
Strength:

heavy duty for high jump not sure for extreme jump tho..

leaks

not bad for the quality

[Jul 06, 2012]
Salespunk

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, plush for small bump compliance, works well for cross country

Reliability sucks, had cavitation in the shock after 4 months. Sent it in and borrowed a friends identical shock. Cavitation after three weeks and had to be sent in as soon as mine got back.

It also spikes on long downhill runs as the shock heats up. There is not enough oil in the shock to counteract the heat buildup.

While it is working not a bad shock, but there are much better choices. Works well for cross country riding, but once you start going downhill you will be giving up a lot of performance. If the DH is rough then it will be even worse. Reliability is abismal. Two non functional shocks with less than four months on each is a joke. Another friend has one that will not hold air with less than a week of riding on it. When Fox first got into the bike business everyone wanted their stuff because of the performance and reliability. I think now it is a much different story. Hopefully they get things back in line soon.