White Brothers Magic 29 29er Forks

White Brothers Magic-29 110mm Forks : State-of-the-art fork valving technology. Large volume, low pressure linear air spring, with open oil bath. IMV, Intelligent Magnetic Valve The fork remains fully active without the need for a lockout...

[Jul 17, 2018]
jorge_chico

OVERALL
Strength:

Great fork .nice looking ..smooth ..100mm

Parts no easy to find .

2010
[May 11, 2012]
dickt3030

OVERALL
Strength:

IMV works great. WB Service is next to none. Perfect for single speed. No air or oil leaks (yet).

A little heavy. Not very plush. Haven't been getting the full 80mm travel with optimal air pressure. Noisy.

I am actually a big fan of this fork, but for specific purposes. Coming from a single speed rigid background, I wanted a fork that absorbed small impacts, but didn't bob. This fork does exactly what I was looking for. During my first ride after riding rigid for a year, I didn't feel any noticeable bob or energy losses. I do wish it was more plush, with smoother travel. Overall, it is the quintessential "minimalist" fork, with minimal travel and excellent pedaling efficiency. Not for everybody, but just right for me.

[May 25, 2011]
Tasselhof

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, works good and no bobbing due pedaling

Heavy

Great forks, i have 2 - qr 80mm and ta 110mm

RS Sid, Marzocchi Corsa

[Nov 26, 2009]
bigtymerider

OVERALL
Strength:

Was able to order with custom features like heavy duty crown. Looks clean on the bike. Good service from WB's I have e-mailed them a couple times with quick responses.

This fork is a challenge to adjust and makes a funny Noise when you hit stuff hard.

I have the 110mm version and in all I am pleased with the fork. Since I weigh 270lbs it has been a little challenging finding the perfect psi to run at. The IMV works well with just a turn of the knob. It seems to be a bit sticky at the beginning of each ride but then seems fine after a few bumps. I do not really have anything to compare this too since it is my first suspension fork.

First Suspension Fork

[Jun 27, 2009]
jgw1981

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth travel, the IMV works quite well. Light weight, and looks great!

A little challenging to set up, and hard to find documentation on it.

Its a supple, and great working fork. It can be a challenge to set up. I have the 80mm version. When rebounding off of hits, it sounds somewhat like a nail gun, which is interesting, and apparently normal. I do like the fork, but the IMV can be confusing, and I do sometimes wish I had a lockout I could switch on and off. I would trade it for a Fox or a Reba if the chance came up.

Fox F29, Rock Shox Reba.

[Oct 21, 2008]
Robin

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Stiff, IMF works well

Expensive, Blown seal twice

This fork worked well with little need for continuous adjustments, including platform and IMF. Trouble is that I blew a seal, sent it back for repair only to blow the seal again after two rides. We will see if WB gets it right this time...

Original Maitou, Rock Shock Mag 21, Manitou Mars 1

[Dec 01, 2006]
GlowBoy

OVERALL
Strength:

Coil model: Quick and easy to dial in just the right amount of compliance. Compression adjustment is all most riders will ever need to use, though other adjustments can be made. No flexiness issues. No stiction noted on trail. Mine is coil, yet weighs no more than the air suspended Reba. No need for an air pump with the coil version. Fantastic customer service.

Expensive, even more so with the new IMV design. Feels sticky on the showroom floor, though not on the trail. No remote adjustment/lockout.

Note that this review is for the 2005 (pre-IMV) BW1.0 fork in coil, not the 2006 Magic model with air that most people are buying. But it still reflects well on White Brothers' design, workmanship and customer service. They dominate the 29" suspension fork world by committing fully and bringing the strongest design to the big wheel market. They basically forced Marzocchi out by being simply much better, though now the RS Reba gives strong competition.

I love this fork. It's simple to adjust, and a half turn of a dial brings it from full lockout to as plush as I'd want. You can also adjust rebound, preload and travel, but there's really no need: I find the fork works great with those adjustments left at the factory settings. It works as well for me out of the box as the hyper-adjustable Reba, with no need for a lockout, and it weighs the same. (Note: the 2006 Magic models weigh a bit more due to the special valving, though I believe the air version still weighs about the same as the Reba).

I only see two major downsides. The first is price, with the current models going for $700 and few dealers willing to knock anything off that price. Fortunately I got mine with a frame for an excellent price.

Other downside is no remote option. This is less of an issue with the new Magic models, but I'd love to figure out how to hook up a remote similar to the Reba's, but with the same continuous adjustment I have now rather than on-off.

Buy it if: you want a simple, dependable high performing fork and either (a) don't care what it costs, or (b) can get a deal on it.

Forget it if: you're price conscious and can't get a deal on it, or if the Reba comes with your frame (as is often the case). The Reba offers a similar level of performance for considerably less money.

RS Reba Race, Karate Monkey rigid.

[Mar 24, 2007]
nate

OVERALL
Strength:

clean styling, 100mm 29er fork

16 clicks of IMV adjustment which all feel like crap. fork also creaks and has alot of stiction. I would expect alot more for a fork in this price range.

save your money. white bros has totally blown it with this one.

rockshox mag 21

[Dec 06, 2007]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

Tunable
Stiff
Customer support

Progressive travel
Expensive

I wanted stiff and platform and got that. I have the thru-axle version. I suspect there is no perfect blend of small bump sensitivity, plush travel, and smooth linear transition into travel. That being said it feels better than the F100X. Less lockout but better small bump sensitivity. It doesn't blow through the travel like the Fox when set up to be more plush. Overall I like it, but I prefer the Pike which I could set up with a lot of platform on the move if I wanted to. Quality is top notch and I may get another if Rock Shock and Fox refuse to build a thru axle 29er.

DUC - 29er, Pike - air and coil, F100X

[Mar 07, 2007]
Brad

OVERALL
Strength:

Laterally stiff, simple to operate with the new IMV, looks really great. Did not find that I was searching for a lockout while outta the saddle, IMV works as advertised.

I had to fiddle with the air pressure as the fork took its time to break in. Now I set it and forget it. I wish the rebound was on the top to dial in as you go.

I got a screamin' deal on ebay before x-mas. I wouldn't mind paying full retail because this fork is built to last and it is very easy to service.

My first 29er fork, very impressed. Tired of waiting for the new Pace.