Surly Karate Monkey 29er Forks

The Karate Monkey fork is made from durable CroMoly and is designed for 29” wheels. It features brake line guides, fender mounting eyelets, andTapered straight blades. 1 1/18” steererTubeFits 29”wheelsSuspension corrected for 80mmTravel frames51mm IS caliper mount. No rim brake mounts260mm steererTube lengthWeight: 2.6 lbs (uncut)

[Mar 17, 2014]
Bike Whisperer

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots if tire clearance, great value, precise feel, no shudder with disc brakes

Compared to the (heavier) curved blade Voodoo fork I had previously, the KM fork feels less compliant.

I like to ride big tires on wide rims, so compliance is not my main concern with this fork. I wanted something that was a precise point and shoot fork and in that avenue the KM is spot on. Not the lightest, not the cheapest, not the most compliant...but a good balance along with durability.

Voodoo Zombie

[Mar 27, 2013]
Owen

OVERALL
Strength:

holds a line well. versatile with cantilever bosses, eyelets, disc caliper mounts.

heavy fork chatter on braking. Tightened up the headset and it still chatters badly. I'm 220 lbs and it still doesn't feel too compliant to me, but I use it as a commuter so I don't need huge bump absorption. And I could always run a lower PSI on my Big Apples, but I like them faster.

I've read that Surly has updated the fork in recent years (bought mine used and I think it's at least 4 years old). and I'd give the new one a shot if they could match the nice blue color on my existing.

[May 12, 2008]
Julius

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, very strong, v-brake/disc compatible

Heavy, shudders in heavy braking

This fork is perfect for riders > 200lbs. as it is pretty strong. However, I find that it shudders under heavy braking on descents but maybe I'm the only one? I'm running 185 discs. I paid only $35 so I shouldn't complain too much.

[Dec 21, 2006]
Ivan

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap - especially since it came with my monkey frame. Stiff (which is both good and bad). Looks fine.

No disc only version. yeah it goes against KM spirit of changeability - but my canti-bosses are rusting from the inside out.
Stiff - damn thing rattles out my teeth on baby-head downhills. For everything else - works well

For the price (free with your frameset) or on sale - this is a bargain fork. If you're wanting a more forgiving rigid ride you may want a Ti fork. Perhaps talk to Walt. But for cheapie - this is it.

[Dec 04, 2006]
Martijn

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, stiff and clean looking

Stiff as in harsh on bumps, not that light, not enough rake

Nice fork for smooth trails but a bit harsh on bumps.
Tree roots, stones and trail bumps make it a bumpy ride with this fork mounted.
Next fork will be a carbon one with a bit more rake and a bit more give.
For commuting it might be the ultimate fork, cheap and stiff.

[Dec 01, 2006]
GlowBoy

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap. Stiff. Looks good. Extra rake may quicken the handling slightly and helps prevent toe overlap.

Stiff. Harsh ride for 165 lb riders like myself.

Cheap rigid fork that gets the job done. Others say it's fairly compliant under 200+ pound riders, but for smaller guys it's downright brutal. I went from a lightweight rigid 26" bike to the 29" Karate Monkey (frame and fork), and the ride actually got harsher.

Various rigid 26" forks over the years.

[Feb 27, 2007]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Affordable way to experience rigid riding. Great precision and tracking. Nice offset (43mm).

Bit heavy, and harsh.

A product with great value for the price. Anyone looking to have a spare fork, or to change the handling of their bike, should look to this product.

It rides well in all conditions.

Misfit Rigid Fork

[Mar 14, 2007]
Bruce Brown

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid rigid steel fork that complements the Karate Monkey frame quite well. Can be run with V brakes or disc brakes. Holds line like a champ. Price is affordable.

Heavy and probably best suited for the heavier/larger rider.

It is hard to beat the price since the fork came with my KM frame. I like the stiffness of the fork and it performs well on most Iowa singletrack. One needs to gain some suspension with a front tire that provides some cush. One could add a carbon handlebar and comfy grips so the fork will be less harsh, but this is a steel rigid banger. It's nice to have a maintenance free fork. One less thing to worry about.

A Karate Monkey frame and fork can be built up light. My size XL with gears coming in at 23.9 pounds does not feel like a heavy bike underneath me at all. It flat out flies on the trail and for where I ride, the fork rails the corners and allows me to hammer ride out of the turn with no flex.

Lots of chilis for value.

Trek rigid steel fork on 26" wheeled bike.

[Dec 05, 2006]
Ott

OVERALL
Strength:

simplisity

Cantilevers and disc mounts. Needs two versions

Steel as vork matarial rules, looks good and it`s easy to get

Onone steel

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.