Salsa Cycles CroMoto Grande 29er Forks

Best Price At

The CroMoto Grande deliversThe ultimate steering precision andTorsional stiffness in a rigid fork.The CroMoto Grande is suspension corrected for 80mmTravel forks. Wheel Size: 29" Salsa Kung Fu CroMoly 20x 110mm Maxle specific dropout Maxle axle included 1 1/8”Threadless steerer 468mm axleTo crown 45mm rake 51mm ISO discTabsTire Clearance; 90mm 1196 grams (claimed weight)

[May 16, 2012]
Big Gags

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Looks, Solidness, Performance.

None that I can think of??

My first (and only) 29er is an On-One Inbred and I was initially looking at the On-One carbon fork but I am a big guy (195cm and 100kg) and despite assurances from the On-One staff via email, I was just not willing to trust my safety to carbon forks. Not sure if my fear of carbon is ill-founded but the steel Moto Grandes have certainly been up to the task of some pretty gnarly downhills at some reasonable speeds. The forks are fantastic and provide a really direct feel with steering and when combined with tubeless tyres run at about 30 psi I also find them to be reasonable in regards to soaking up the bumps. Riding over severely eroded tree roots does test the friendship a bit but this would be the case for any rigid fork. Absolutely love the performance, look, and price of this fork - can't go wrong for less than 100 bucks!!

Surly 1x1 fork (yes, I know it is a 26" fork but it is the only other rigid one that I have ridden off road)

[Jul 14, 2011]
OhNooo

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, rigid, great handling, confidence inspiring on downhills

Required disk mount tabs to be faced. Rotor rub was unavoidable without this. Cost additional $30 at my LBS to get this done.

I loved my WB Rock Solid carbon fork until I found hairline cracks about 2/3 of the way up the fork leg with the disc mount. Bought the Salsa to replace it since the cost for a crash replacement on the Rock Solid was way too high. I'm not missing the carbon fork anymore because this fork handles as good as the Rock Solid. It weighs about 1/2 lb more, but that's not a huge concern.

This fork is over 1/2 lb lighter than the stock Haro Mary fork which was a dreadful pile of junk. The Mary fork was a complete noodle and was fear-creating on a rocky high speed downhill. This fork is completely the opposite, inspiring confidence and going exactly where I want it to go.

Only 4 chili's but only because I needed to face the brake mounts. That should not be required on a new product. I contacted Salsa, and they told me to work through the on-line supplier, so I called the on-line supplier and they told me to take it to my LBS to get it faced (cost to me additional $30). If I didn't have that issue, it would have been 5 chili's.

Haro Mary stock rigid fork (awful!). Rock Solid carbon fork (great until it cracked).

[Dec 19, 2010]
balance_fit

OVERALL
Strength:

Very nice paint job, simple but tidy graphics, excellent stainless steel dropouts, no worries about chipping paint at the dropouts. Vibration damping like, or maybe even better than the fork it replaced, a Tora Solo Air on locked out mode. No shuddering while braking heavily downhill. Improved steering geometry. Price, so nice!

None so far

First ever rigid fork, and boy, was i apprehensive about the change. Thanks to mtbr forums and reviewers, i got the needed info to go on.
I wanted to save a couple of pounds at the front for climbing and lofting the wheel over obstacles. Also, i wanted frame/fork material uniformity to take advantage of steel's properties. I mostly ride loose over hard, rooty surfaces.
I had ridden the Tora Solo Air my bike came with since new, locked out preparing for the switch. It offers one inch 'travel' while locked out, but no fore/aft compliance due to the rigidity of the legs.
The Salsa fork legs do have a slight fore/aft compliance, which, in addition to the 29er wheel's properties and lowering air pressure up front, takes care of most of the chattering. It felt better than the locked Tora in this aspect! On the other hand, the inch 'travel' that the Tora offers when locked out has to be provided by the front tire with lessened air pressure/wider thread so that impacts on the line of the fork are damped.

Uphill, the 2.5 lbs i saved up front meant immediate ease, lifting the wheel over obstacles. I'm even considering installing a one tooth higher gear on the back of my SS, because of the ease of climbing now and the saved weight.
Downhill. Small not too steep sections are ok, 4 inch steps too. Switchbacks are a pleasure, the steering so precise and the front doesn't nose dive, read, more control !
Rooty downhills, either take it slower and read the line better or modulate the front brake better. If not, these sections are still doable but a bit rattling.
This fork has slightly less dropout offset than the one i removed, which means it reduced my bike's wheel base and trail by a minute amount, just enough to liven handling in tight sections while keeping absolute control.
Bottom line, i don't need a suspension fork anymore. The Salsa steel provides enough vibration damping and fore/aft compliance to make rigid riding a pleasure. It's light, for steel, simple yet nice to the eye, and the price is unbeatable. If you're thinking about giving fully rigid a try, get this fork.

First rigid fork.

[Aug 13, 2010]
2 old for fixed, young enuf 4 SS fwhl

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight (chromoly speaking), a good black paint job, OX tubing, disc brake equipped & suspension fork corrected...

None!

Quality materials, exquisite execution of design and bullet-proof performance -- all for about a Hamilton. That's almost priceless!

REBA suspension - lost a couple of pounds and netted a couple hundred bucks in the process, Klein forks, Prestige forks on Bianchi "700c mountain bikes" of 1989-ish vintage, etc.

[Apr 27, 2009]
Joe_Jitsu

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, light

None so far

It's hard to beat this fork for the price.

I foolishly sold the custom steel fork that Scott Quiring made to match my steel 29er when I got the White Brothers carbon fork. When I started using both of my Quirings to race cyclocross, I needed other rigid fork. The salsa was cheap, so I gave it a shot. Turns out I like it quite a bit!

This fork is solid; I don't worry about damaging it if I crash on a rocky downhill. It handles roots and rocks with ease. It's a bit heavier than the carbon fork, but not so much that I can tell much of a difference on the trail.

If you want to experiment with a rigid fork, give this one a try!

White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon Fiber; Quiring custom steel fork; Reba suspention fork

[Apr 10, 2009]
AOF

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, in expensive, worth the price, craftsmanship

Flex for clydesdales

Going from the Karate Monkey to this fork is not that much different. This fork is lighter than the KM, and flexes more. I have felt (and seen) the fork fold back on fast rocky descents, and when coming down hard on it going over trees and rocks, etc. Not bad, actually I think it is supposed to flex a little bit, and I would buy it again.

Surly Karate Monkey fork

[Dec 02, 2006]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

For me this fork is close to ideal. Both springy and solid, enough compliance but no tuck even under hard braking.

Essentially none. With a Shimano skewer I've never had any issue with wheel loosening, under any circumstances.

I great all-buisness steel fork. Interesting the Salsa wised so quickly and raised the price.

Rigid alloy fork on my old 26r SS.

[Dec 02, 2006]
rich

OVERALL
Strength:

Fairly light, strong, compliant

slight worry with the rear facing dropouts

This fork is quite nice for the price. I purchased it as the frameset with the Mariachi. Clean solid welds, OX Platinum tubing and sus corrected for a great price! I highly recommend this fork to anyone looking for a quality steel fork at a decent price. Salsa has a great CS rep and are easy to get a hold of. 877-moto-ace :)

Surly, Redline

[Jan 13, 2008]
william wright

OVERALL
Strength:

springy steel, decent weight, solid steering, has cable guides on back of leg

not as light as a carbon but much safer. hard to find colors other than black

i am sure you can get a better fork if you spend a lot of money, but this is a great fork for $100. is is comfy for a rigid, decent weight for steel. but best of all, i like the 43mm of rake campared to 38mm on most forks. this sharpens up the steering quite nicely. i have looked at niner, if, on one carbon and others for a fork upgrade and keep on riding this salsa.

pace, on one ti, surly km, nashbar steel, waltworks

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.