RST M-29 29er Forks

• Travel: 80, 100mm

[Apr 09, 2013]
HAGAY1974

OVERALL
Strength:

simple relayble strait forwrd no bs fork

no recomanded air presure so you have to guess

buy

[Jul 11, 2011]
rufio

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, stiff, plush, reliable so far. Lockout works great.

It comes with v-brake mounts. Not really a weakness as it takes away from the otherwise clean look of the fork.

I like this fork. Everyone looks at my bike and wonders why I have not decided to upgrade to something like a RockShox or a Fox, but the truth is this fork has totally exceeded my expectations. I have been riding on it for a bit now and I like the way it responds to the trail. It is predictable and actually quite tunable. I highly recommend it.

This is my first 29er fork.

[May 16, 2011]
IstongKowldPaRin

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively light for the price. Much better performance than the XCT fork that it replaced. Has a remote lockout.

Stiction after some trail riding. Noticeable flex on cornering (maybe due to 9mm QR)

I used the M29 on my previous Trek Marlin.

Will I buy another M29? For a 2nd bike, yes. For a primary bike, the F29 will be my only option.

Suntour XCT 29er, Fox F29 100RL

[May 13, 2011]
PaintPeelinPbody

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, Reliable, Simple technology.

Flex

Great fork for the money. I'd prefer a 20mm thru-axle for my weight (210) as the fork definitely has some flex. Unfortunately because of that flex I'm nervous about a larger front brake. If RST gave this a 20mm option at the same price point I'd be all over it.

RS Pike, Marzocchi Bomber

[Mar 22, 2011]
_miuan_

OVERALL
Strength:

Not a skinny XC fork but a nice beefy piece of metal. Surely can take the abuse, structurally. Has V-brake bosses.

Lockout turns anticlockwise.
Sticky air spring that leaks in cold/freezing temperatures. Under 5-10 degrees celsius, the fork leaks slowly. Under zero celsius, it pretty much deflates during a 15 minute ride. I wanted to order coil spring internals but RST seems to have no stock of replacement parts.

May be fine in warm weather, but I commute daily, no matter the temperature. I regret having gone with the lighter air spring setup, could have dropped less coin and get the boat anchor M29 COM TNL steel coil version that would last forever. Or a Tora which is comparably expensive if you find a deal.

RS Tora 26 Solo Air, a much better fork.

[Sep 03, 2009]
briangg

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, nice rebound adjustment, reliable, you can use old-school V-brakes if you want

heavy? no name recognition

True set and forget reliability. This is the second bike I have had this on--previous was a GF 292. I have got a fair amount of use out of it and have never needed to refill the air or service it at all for that matter. Should I ever need another fork, I'll get an M29.

Marz.

[Aug 29, 2009]
jh

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use, stiff, inexpensive

Cheap look....who cares...maybe a little heavy

Best deal out there if you not riding in a fashion show.

White Bros, Reba SL

[Feb 29, 2008]
ty

OVERALL
Strength:

laterally rigid - I prefer this to my reba and got it for 200 bucks less. Low stiction, adjustability, functioning lockout, low maintanance

the lockout isn't the most stout product out there. Canti studs are pretty fugly.

GREAT product for the price. I've not compared to fox but how can I even consider when its twice as much? The loser that left the last review is totally wrong, interesting his bike setup is a trek when they dont have a 29er - sounds like a sham review to slam RST. This is a great fork and I applaud them for putting out something for a reasonable price. What a nice change.

The biggest plus with this fork is taht it is confidence inspiring. The Reba feels squirmy when the going gets tough and this one tracks noticeably better where it counts. But then its a bit heavier.

Reba 29er, Manitou 29er, WB 29er.

[Sep 26, 2007]
Kevin

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff frame, 44mm offset, nice fit and finish, easy and noticeable tuning options, remote lockout works flawlessly, nice aluminum stanchions, post mount brake mounts, comes in 80 or 100mm, with remote lockout or not, black or white - plenty of choices

cheesy decals, rebound lever on lower right leg is plastic, anodized aluminum would be better,

Outstanding fork. This fork handles better than expected, I continue to be amazed. I like simple setup, this is the definition of simple, no positive/negative air. It's a set it and forget about it fork. It's laterally stiff and handles the myriad of southeast roots without flex. The remote lockout is great for single speed riding, instant lockout for out of the seat attacks, or thumb-dial in one or two clicks of compression dampening for a platform effect. Priceless!

Speaking of price, $329 for a 100mm fork, add $30 or so for the remote lockout. Beets the $700 for a Fox. I may not be the most savy fork guru but I don't know if I'd get any better handling from a $700 fork.

RST's owner's manual leaves something to be desired and the decals were cheesy (i.e. also easy to remove). Customer service through the online store has been great, Alex and his buds are working hard to keep it that way.

Overall - outstanding fork, exceeded my expectations.

RS Tora 318 solo air (130mm) and RS Tora 302 u-turn

[Sep 26, 2007]
Sam Wilson

Strength:

Appearance:
Nice paint... pearl white with metallic flake finish.
Aluminum Steerer has a shot ping finish.
Crown is anodized black finish.

Function:
Easy to set up.
Holds air... no leaks.
Solid Fork... there is no fork flex what so ever, tracks perfectly in all conditions, corners, rock gardens, ledges, this fork can take it and not flex at all.
Suspension... great! works perfectly, compression is smooth, rebound is perfect and easy to dial in, lock out can be adjusted to desired setting and works well once set.

Weights in slightly more than the Fox F-29 and the Reba 29.

I have drop $600 - $700 on Fox forks before and as expected I had a really great fork. Fox is the benchmark I compare all forks to. I had a Reba on my El Rey to begin with, but hated it... it was so flexy that I didn't trust it not to fold up on me and I felt the front constantly drifting off my line because of the flex in the Reba. I decided I needed to get another fork ASAP and the F-29 wasn't available for two months. That's when the RST M-29 came to my attention.

So when I purchased a M-29 for my 29er I had planned for it to be a temporary fork to hold me over for a few months until I could get around to purchasing a Fox F-29. Then I would install the M-29 on my wife's 29er to replace her Reba. But after riding my El Rey with the RST M-29 I think I'll probably forget about getting an F-29 and just buy another M-29 for the other 29er and get rid of the Reba.

The RST M-29 is an awesome fork! I really put it through the test today and it performed great, no flex, tracked perfectly, soaked up everything I threw at it and rebounded perfectly. I am completely impressed with this fork and how great it performs!!! It was so easy to dial in too and with a few minor trail adjustments I had it perfectly dialed in and in sync with my rear suspension. My El Rey is performing amazingly well with this fork and I couldn't be more pleased with it and considering it didn't cost me $700.00 like an F-29 I am even more pleased with the results of this fork and the purchase.

As I mentioned I judge all suspension forks against Fox forks... the RST M-29 honestly... could give Fox a run for it's money in my opinion. And unless Fox's new F-29 has some kind of dampening to prevent fork compress when breaking, I doubt I'll be purchasing an F-29 anytime soon. It stead I'll get another RST M-29.

Reba Air 29 fork

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.