Niner Bikes Carbon 29er Forks

Rigid mountain bikes have been around since the first fat tire hit the dirt. Not only do they offer excellent handling, but they're more reliable and lighter than their bouncy counterparts. The introduction of carbon fiber as a medium for building fames and forks has reinvigorated the rigid ride with newfound comfort alongside the rest of the benefits. When Niner fist released their Carbon Fork it was the recipient of multiple awards and extensive industry recognition.What differentiates this fork from the rest is its monocoque design, which uses optimized carbon lay-up and weaves. The steerer tube seamlessly integrates with the lowers, creating a solid transition free of stress-prone bonds, unlike the more common three-piece forks. Niner dedicated extensive resources to optimizing the fork legs' weave to take full advantage of the damping characteristics of carbon. Impact energy is dispersed throughout the entire structure, suppressing trail vibrations without compromising steering precision.The Niner Carbon Fork has a 470mm axle to crown length. For comparison's sake, an 80mm Reba has roughly a 490mm axle-to-crown length. Factor in 20 percent sag and the axle-to-crown is about 474mm. The Niner Carbon Fork will keep your geometry similar to an 80mm suspension fork. A 45mm offset provides excellent tracking and responsive turn-in. This fork can fit up to a 180mm rotor, and does not have a rider weight limit ? reflecting Niner's confidence in their quality and design. The Niner Carbon Fork comes in ten colors -- Atomic blue, Hot tamale, Green, Licorice, Moondust grey, Nude carbon, Tangerine, Arctic white, Root beer, and Solid gold -- to give you the best match for your ride.

[Jun 17, 2013]
slohr

OVERALL
Strength:

Lateral stiffness, fore-aft compliance, vibration deadening, very light weight.

Expensive--but worth the money.

Don't know what could make this fork better. Running standard QR, and I understand the tapered and 15mm axle make it even stiffer... but stiffer than what?? The only lateral flex I feel now is in the steel frame. Got this fork as a close out from Jenson for $199, otherwise I wouldn't have parted with the $500. It is absolutely worth the $500, but just not for me. I was initially skeptical how much this fork would affect my riding, but once you try it, there is no second guessing. The first time I went through a rock garden, the steering was so effortless I figured I just got lucky and picked the best line. So I went back, rode it again trying to hit every large rock I could find, and the bike pushed ahead straight and true. Simple as that. Like going from a 70s Ford F-150 with no power steering while riding offroad to using power steering (yes, I am that old). The steel fork on the bike was a pig, more than 3 pounds, so the super light front end was great in technical--just lean back and pull a little to clear logs and obstacles. Big energy saver. Probably the nicest purchase for the money I have every made in cycling.

Stock steel fork.

[Apr 01, 2013]
pdl2mtl

OVERALL
Strength:

I ride a steel hardtail on smooth to rock strewn single track.The Niner is a light fork ,excellent workmanship and very compliant.The fork is stiff side to side and the geometry and handling were great.I previously rode a White bros the Niner was a little more compliant but the WB feels better when braking. I went back to the WB

There is a lot of chatter when braking and I had trouble keeping the steerer tight even though I followed the directions.

If you like the weight savings and don't mind the chatter go for it I'll stick with the WB.

[Oct 23, 2012]
Titor Pernia

OVERALL
Strength:

- lightweight
- sturdy
- good looking

- none

An excellent fork if not the best if anyone is going rigid. It's more expensive compared to the other carbon forks on the market that may provide similar performance but damn nothing compares to it's looks. Being on a 29" wheels it feels that you have some suspension on. But it is still rigid so I advise not to bomb the tracks. You would learn to choose your lines wisely going downhill. During climbs is when you would appreciate this fork. it simply is a beast in climbs. Having a niner frame as well made the combination perfect. I am a little bit skeptical on the paint job. Niners are not known for their paintjobs and i'm not sure what is the effect of painting carbon materials. And my frame already has some nicks because of chain slaps.

On One Carbon Fork

[Sep 28, 2012]
Colin

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light. Does not "twang" like a tuning fork from bouncing off root. Corners on rails yet is very compliant. GREAT customer service!

Pricey....green color is not an exact match to my Kermit green SIR9

This is the 5th rigid fork I am owned. 3 steel forks ( 1 Niner Steel fork, 1 no name and 1 Vulture cycles) and 1 other carbon fork ( Origin 8 Black Ops) The Niner Carbon fork is by far the lightest and most comfortable fork I have ridden. I have found that any of the steel forks I have ridden have a tendency to vibrate far more....which I really dislike. This fork seems to smooth out those very same bumps without the vibrations. The Black ops fork was heavier and was less compliant and caused me to loss momentum more.

Origin 8 Black Ops

[Jul 05, 2012]
trailof

OVERALL
Strength:

strong, stable, comfortable

no issues, after 1.5 yrs of riding it

Paired with my Air 9 Carbon, I don't even miss having a suspension fork. The difference in weight is huge and the ride is very comfortable. Tracks great while still being comfortable. I never feel beat up because of the fork. Amazes me still just as much as it did in the beginning.

Like someone else above said, I have a steel fork (Salsa Cromoto Grande) on a Kona steel frame that takes some speed to get compliant, whereas the Niner carbon fork is smooth at any speed.

Mine is the tapered steerer, QR model with a Salsa Flip-Off skewer.

Salsa CroMoto Grande

[Jun 22, 2012]
spencerfrater1

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, stiff, looks

Only price

These forks are very stiff and light. But they also absorb much of the small vibrations from the trail which I was quite surprised about. The trails I ride with these forks I never thought I would ride without suspension. Riding a rigid again is such good fun.
I only deducted a chili for cost because they are very expensive especially here in the UK.

[May 25, 2012]
GP Niner

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, strenght, weight or lack of

best carbon fork i've seen on the market. It gives you the dampering affect that is like have suspension. I ride a lot of technical features and even after smashing into rocks or off small drops it has never let me down. GO BUY ONE!

[May 11, 2012]
dickt3030

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength. Weight. Compliance. Looks. Handling. Price compared to other carbon forks on the market.

I absolutely love this fork, and can't get enough of it. After about 9 months using a suspension fork, I went back to my trusty rigid carbon fork, and realized what I was missing. It almost feels more compliant than my suspension fork with small bumps and trail chatter. It is super light and stiff where you need it. Point and shoot quick handling. It has taken some serious punishment, and keeps (not)ticking.

various steel forks

[May 03, 2012]
rob1208lv

OVERALL
Strength:

light, nimble, strong

price

this Fork is outstanding, supper light and strong, I feel like I am superman and can throw bike around anywhere. Even with the lack of weight I still feel stable on decedents. A+ to Niner Bikes Love this fork

Vassago Steel fork, Salsa Steel fork, Reba 80mm

[May 02, 2012]
kustomz

OVERALL
Strength:

The absolute smoothest rigid for that I have ridden and head and shoulders above everything that i have tried. It even has less brake chatter than rigid steel forks, yet remains very compliant.

Has a carbon steer tube that limits the amount of spacers you can run under the stem to 40mm.

Overall a really good fork, that should be priced about a $100 less and be available with an aluminum steer tube.

White Brothers Carbon

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.