SR Suntour XCM 2014 Forks

• Stanchion tube: STKM
  • Pitch: 130mm
  • Design: Leading axle
  • Lower: Alloy monocoque design
  • Brake: Disc (Post mount type: for 160mm rotor)

[May 02, 2018]
Jfkma

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a suspension fork. A major upgrade from a rigid or from really poor suspension. The spring is stiff so it works well for climbing and just minor xc stuff. The fork itself is stiff enough for xc and tracks well enough. Not bad for someone who's just starting and just does easy stuff.

Once it starts getting hit by chunk at higher speeds, it seems to stiffen up and feels really harsh, almost as if it locks out. It's heavy, like really heavy. Somewhere between the 6 and 7 lb range, I believe. The stiff spring is not easy on the wrists, to the point where I have to dial my speed back a lot in order to prevent wrist pain. The steerer tube is rusty but that may be my fault for riding in the rain. The lockout switch broke after like 7 months of use so it can't lockout anymore. The seals are weak and are always leaking grease.

2017
[May 02, 2018]
Jfkma

2017
[Apr 14, 2018]
TheTerryTheory

OVERALL
Strength:

I just got a SR Suntour XCM 30, and it is hands down the best Coil spring XC fork. It has mounts for both rim caliper brakes, and disc brakes. I used it as a part of restoring my 1998 Specialized ground control FSR, and it worked WAAAY better than the old RockShox Judy XC that I originally had. It's a fork, and it does what any good fork should do.

There weren't any weaknesses that I could find, persae, more just one minor inconvenience that can easily be remedied. The fork I got had two preload adjusters. Ideally, I would have preferred to have one preload adjuster, and have a compression lockout switch on the other side, however, as I said, I can simply put one in myself. TL;DR: SR Suntour know their sh*t when it comes to coil sprung forks, and the XCM 30 is a prime example of what a coil sprung fork should be like. It's the only fork that made me like coil sprung forks, and now,, thanks to SR Suntour, I'm a lot more open to them!

Price Paid:
2016
  • Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.