Manitou Minute Pro-20mm 2011 Forks

[Jul 12, 2011]
DurtDigglah

OVERALL
Strength:

Quite light, super supple, stiff, very adjustable...a great fork for more aggressive XC riding.

20mm TA is a little fiddly...it requires dealing with 5 bolts and 2 hex key sizes. I could see this being a problem on the trail when dealing with a puncture...but I tend to think most people going for a 20mm TA probably run pretty robust tyres that should be fairly puncture resistant. Despite being a little fiddly, it works really well to get a nice snug fit on the hub.

It's early days for this fork, but the initial rides have really impressed me...it's light years ahead of the Tora (though that isn't exactly a surprise). The front end really sticks to the trail. I love the way the low speed damping lets the fork use a lot of its travel over slower terrain, but then the high speed damping controls the big hits. The plushness of the fork is a bit of a negative when climbing out of the saddle, but I'm more interested in having the ground control for the decents and bends - there is the very effective lockout on the crown of course, but I don't bother because I tend to forget to unlock it on the decents! It might not suit hardcore XC racers. The price was such that I could afford the fork and a new wheel based around a Sun Ringle 20mm hub...which is also a nice upgrade. At the end of the day, this fork has made me faster...and I like that a lot!