IRC Trail Bear Older Tires

[Feb 19, 2013]
Rob R
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip on all surfaces even wet rocks and roots, Durable and long lasting. Nice appearance and perfect quality.

Can't think of any except they aren't for xc racing or downhill or park/urban but there's no tire that does it all.

I am so happy with these tires I ran some front and rear for three years, I am getting some more I like the way they work great for my riding habits, I ride on pavement half the time and they roll easy at proper tire pressure 55 psi works for me.Only one puncture from hitting curb hard. They are almost totally worn down in the rear tire and still grip OK. Rubber is super tough they are weathered and cracked but not a single knob has peeled off and they are still trustworthy tires after hundreds of KM riding to work on pavemant and dirt trails plus plenty of lesiure riding on rocky trails. I have had far more expensive tires that failed after only one year, the value of these tires is amazing I recommend them highly to anyone who needs good all-around tires.

[Dec 12, 2011]
alexjb
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

-Looks beasty
-Rolls well on concrete, which is important for me as I bike to trailheads
-Fantastic grip on hardpack as well as looser, more gravel-y material
-Corners well on snow and ice, great stopping power
-Hard Rubber
-Thick Sidewalls

-Showing some signs of wear after only 4 rides
-Not a whole lot of cling on slickrock
-Heavy

Great tire for the price, excellent for multiple types of terrain! I can definitely recommend this tire. It has increased my confidence and made me a better rider, up and downhill. I can't wait for the trails to melt a little so I can verify its reliability in the mud.

[Aug 14, 2010]
USATorque55

OVERALL

These came with the bike, but have great grip in pretty much all situations. They do their best on soft loamy dirt or leaves. Good for Northeast conditions, have no problem on rocks or roots—even when they're a bit wet.

Awesome traction all-around. Would absolutely recommend for forest singletrack.

Geax Mezcals

[Jun 14, 2010]
rigidftw

OVERALL
Strength:

great tires for dry conditions. lots of grip allround and in any direction. good rolling resistance going flat or down, reasonable on tarmac. great in raw gravel, on roots and all bumpy stuff. also pretty good in snow.
good on wet tarmac. on wet forest floor the grip could be higher, but it's still good.

a bit heavy, going up, they roll quite heavily and in sticky mud they roll like bricks.

i first bought them because i wanted red sidewalls and they were relatively cheap. but those tires are really great allrounders and last very long. i wouldn't recommend them to a racer, because of the high rolling resistance going up, but for fast rocky and/or rooty trail rides they exceed expectations.
i now have them on 2 bikes an both are sub10kg rides.

nokian gazzaloddi, continental vertical, maxxis highroller, maxxis advantage, ritchey zmax 2.35

[Dec 09, 2009]
fat tire love affair

OVERALL
Strength:

they take a beating and do not fail. they may have high rolling resistance but they are purpose built. if you are riding them on the intended terrain they perform flawlessly and i have had no issues with pinch flats or sidewall failures. i predominately ride in the desert in which the obstacles range from sticks to cholla cactus, and the trail bear is like set it and forget it. i also like the extra width that the 26x2.25 offers. it feels a little unnatural at first but once you get used to it, you feel like your
attached to the trail.

slightly heavy, and i don't have the best connection in wet or muddy conditions(which we don't see too often here in phoenix)but lets be honest, what tire hooks up particularly well in muddy or wet conditions??

i will be pursuing another set of these tires. my understading is that they are hard to come by. the only other tire i have considered is the maxxis high roller but i feel that they are slightly overrated. i will have to try them before ruling them out. if you can find them and deal with the weight the trailbears are worth a try, they can take the abuse that the desert gives them with rocks, sticks, cactus and whatever other obstacles (nails if you can believe it) and you will probably have them on your bike longer than you care to. i give them five chillis because they are a solid tire for the price, i give them four chillis for value becuase they are hard to come by.

hutchinson air lights which were sweet and light and felt like they hooked up on dirt if you can beleive that but were not in for the long haul. i felt like you could watch them ware off after every ride.

[Jul 02, 2002]
Stuart Thompson

OVERALL

Follow up from last review, these tyres rock on loamy, sandy surfaces. Rounded profile allows higher speed cornering without having to put a foot down. Traction is predictable. My experience is somewhat limited having only ridden the Woodhill MTB park on them but for sandy, rooty, loamy surfaces they are excellent.

[Feb 19, 2003]
tim

OVERALL
Strength:

great in all coditions, best tire I have used, you can crank them over in turns and they dont wash out. In my experience larger riders need a bigger tire like this.

best tire on the market

mythos, wtb, panaracer smoke

[Nov 16, 2002]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Not expensive, not too heavy, great grip, long lasting. Seems to work well on almost everything

Will clog up in sticky mud - or freshly cut trail!

Can't fault them for all round riding. If they are blown up too hard they skitter around a bit. Once you have the PSI right they are very dependable on the corners and braking.

verti pros

[Jul 17, 2005]
Freeridin Youth

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty tough sidewalls and they seem light, they hold up well for light drops (2-4ft)work well in loose gravel.

Do not roll as fast as similar tires

These tires are alright for the retail price they came as a oem product, I upgraded to a pair of bling blings and a pair of Hookworms much better for urban freeridin. Buy them if:
On a budget
Need a good all around wheel little bit of xc,fr, light dh

[Apr 21, 2004]
SRR

OVERALL
Strength:

All-around versatility, especially for aggressive XC riders/light downhillers, who are still reluctant to pay a larger weight/width penalty. Very stable, reliable tires.

Availability and still a little heavier than some of the competition.

I've used MANY tires over the last decade and can safely say that a tire is a tire, BUT some tires you can forget about, while others can spook you. If, after a dozen rides, I'm still thinking about the new rubber, I inevitably switch back to something familiar and then simply forget about the tires altogether. I 'forgot' about the Trail Bears almost immediately! which is not something I was able to do with the Vertical Pro's, which -- however highly esteemed -- I found a little tentative on damp days in the Pacific Northwest. I've really liked the Mutanoraptors for the last two summers, but they too had to come off for winter riding. I wanted something more versatile, aggressive yet smooth rolling, reasonably light but still able to protect the rim and handle rock gardens (and these 2.25's are at least the same size as Conti's notion of a 2.3)-- something able to handle mud, sand, gravel, rocks, roots, pine-needles, and hardpack equally well. I also like 'missile' treads, especially up front, and wanted something as close as possible to the old Panaracer Dart 2.2 (yes, the used to make one). The IRC Trail Bear fit the bill perfectly. In fact, I plan to stock up on them while I can, and my second 'summer' wheelset will now simply become my 'spare' wheelset, because I plan to run Trail Bears on all of my wheels.

Continental Vertical Pros 2.3, Survival Pros 2.3, WTB Mutanoraptors 2.4, Panaracer Dart 2.2

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.