Shimano PD-M737 Older Pedals

Shimano PD-M737

[Mar 24, 2013]
pascal

OVERALL
Strength:

still have the original box that came with...still have it on my third bike since. never been disassembled, still work as new. for 189.95 CA at that time, all i can say its my better buy for my lifetime

well, the weight.. can save the same grams with a little less water in my camelback

best buy for a lifetime

[Nov 08, 2012]
EricH
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Bombproof. Ultra durable and reliable. Good platform for foot support/pedaling feel. Ultra-consistent and positive enrty and exit.

Heavy with stock spindle. Ti spindlessolve that problem but are getting hard to find now that they are Over 20 Years Old.

I've been riding 737's since March 1992. It is now November 2012.Every one of my bikes has these. I have used the for casual riding, Norba National XC expert racing, Norba NCS dowhill racing, National cycloross championships, commuting, and now just riding my bikes mostly in the woods for fun. 20 years on, and they still work great.

The biggest complaint is the weight, as i mentioned above, some aftermarket ti spindles fix that up, if you can find them. Real heavy mud can clog them up, but servicing them is a breeze. Take the axle assembly out, clean inside the pedal body, fill with good grease, like Phil waterproof. re-install the axle assembly and the new grease self-purges itself through the bearings. Wipe off, then ride them for another 5 years.

Again on the weight - the new do everything pedal is the PD-M540. a pair is 166g lighter than the 737. That's about how much a Blackberry weighs, so split that between two feet. If that is causing you a problem riding, perhaps other sports beckon, or you should just put the freakin' gram scale away.

Who should use these: Anyone who wants control, durability, reliability and consistency from their clipless pedals, and gets that the gramscale sickness is way overhyped.

Who shold not: weight weenies, cyclocrossers in mud, XC racers on dry fast smooth courses.

[Jan 26, 2011]
Carlos Herrera

OVERALL
Strength:

Bombproof!

None that I am aware of

In 2001 I wrote a review on these pedals. These are still on the same bike ten years later lending service as a single speed, still going strong!

Pretty much the whole Shimano spd line

[Jan 04, 2007]
Holger

OVERALL
Strength:

unbreakable, no need for special maintenance

not very good in heavy mud

Interesting to see people still writing reviews on a pedal system from the last century ....
I really like this pedal system. It is easy to use and it looks like that "we" still have some more years in front of us ...

nothing - since my 737's are still working :-)

[Feb 26, 2002]
jonathan mitchell

OVERALL
Strength:

Back in the day, they had lots.
Currently: nostalgia.

Everybody knows they suck in mud and are heavy

Just wanted to say that despite what one reviewer said, in my opinion these pedals have the best bearing seal ever!!
Two years in slop, snow and muck and the grease inside was brand new looking. Bright neon green grease!! No contamination whatsoever.

other shimano's, speedplay magnums and frogs.

[Feb 04, 2002]
Mads Meldgaard

OVERALL
Strength:

Build to last, very precise click-in in the dry

Heavy (approx. 550 gr. or more than a pound)
Forget about them in mud

I had these pedals for 6 years, putting about 10000 of forrest km summer/winter on them with no signs of wear (a slight bit of play in one axel) - getting quit nostalgic writting about them!

The weigt and mud issues is not up to date anymore. 2 chillies for function + 1 chilli for durability.

Time Attack

[Oct 19, 2001]
Carlos Herrera

OVERALL
Strength:

Bulletproof, last forever, reliable, Shimano stuff, Install-ride-forget.

Weight, mud collectors.

I have been checking for replacement pedals, Shimano preferable, have heard bad reviews about 858's, so far there is no match for my good old 737's. Probably they will die in my arms (my feet)

I've been riding since '95, believe or not these have been my pedals all this time.

[May 29, 2000]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, comfortable, predictable entry/release.

Weight, no float, not so good in gooey mud.

I've had these pedals since they first came out, and they are still working great. I've since bought a bunch of used ones to keep as spares and put on other bikes I have. I have the 747s, but because of their small platform, they hurt my feet on long rides, so I switched back to the 737s (I think Shimano made a mistake by going to such a small platform on the 747s). The 737s were the first SPDs that started the trend. They are practically bulletproof and have real ball bearings in them (unlike others where at least one of the bearings is a bushing). However they have little or no float, so your cleat adjustment must be spot on. Look elsewhere if you have sensitive knees.

747s.

[Jan 07, 2000]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

The indestructable comment is acurate.

Weight

I am appalled that pedal has gotten such bad reviews. These pedals are the full on Sh*t. If you got ran over by a mack truck the pedals would survive.
I sold mine for Ritcheys as I'm a weight weinie but my frugal (tight a$$) buddy has been running them since 93 and other than spraying them with WD-40 has never serviced them.
When future archeologist find relics of mountain biking it will probably be a set of 737s.
Rock on 737s.
6 chilis for... I mean 5 chilis for function and durability.
Did I mention this product totally changed the future of MTBing.

Multiple Ritheys and clones

[Oct 22, 1999]
Richard
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

None that I could find.

Seals in name only, more like warnings. They barely keep out small birds and rocks, and only when new. Weaks spindles, a pain to reassemble and adjust.

I got these pedals, used, with my Schwinn, as well as the pedal tool and new spindles/rebuild kits for them. The fact that some of the balls were crushed to powder and one spindle was bent was irrelivant to me. The seals with the new axle/rebuild kits were nasty plastic and barely any abetter than the totally worn out ones. I started to rebuild them when I realized what a pain (and I'm a good mechanic and have been a technical editor/writer) they were going to be. I'd also just been introduced to Speedlplays. It was immediately pointless to continue with the Spuds, so I traded them to my ex-wife...heh, heh, heh!

Onza.H.O.'s, Speedplay Frogs.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.