Onza H.O. Older Pedals

Onza HO Steel

[May 15, 2003]
trapper

OVERALL
Strength:

My first clipless pedal. Light and had float unlike some of the early Shimano's

When the elastomers were new it was hard to get in/out even using the soft elastomer. As they wore in it got easier, but the lack of a audible engagement 'click' let to those "am I or aren't I" moments. I never really had serious problems getting stuck in but the M747s I upgraded to were much smoother - I realised what I was missing then. The variable, and hard to adjust elasomer was a weak point which Onzo later moved away from. A bit traumatic to learn clipless pedals with, and I suspect the contempory top end Shimano pedals (743?) would have been easier on me ?

Great pedals in that they were cheap, light and didn't wreck my knees (float). Entry/Release not as good as the best modern pedals I've used (M747,M959), but stacks better to ride than toeclips or flat pedals.

Totally sold me on clipless pedals, my HOs are still going strong on a friends bike.

I previously used Shimano XT and DX clipped pedals.
I now own Shimano M747, M515, M323 (2 pairs !) and have just bought some M959s.

[Mar 15, 2002]
Peter Ford

OVERALL
Strength:

Maintance Free through 8 (year round) years of use

Comany went out of business

Have never had a problem with them in 8 plus years of on and off road, year round, use (in the northeast). A year ago I replaced the elastomers for the first time. No problems with getting in or out. The only time I had a problem was when a screw holding the the cleat to my shoe finally wore down so it was not holding the cleat on properly. Yes, I have had my shoes for that long as well.

The seals are finally going, so I am retiring them. My girlfriend also loved using them.

[Feb 19, 2002]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple design and lightweight.

It's getting more difficult to find parts.

I've been using these pedals since 1996 and love them. I tried a pair of SPD's only to go back to my Onza's. I've never had a problem once I successfully set the pedals and cleats up, they clear mud and rocks really well and cold weather has been the only time they don't work well, but then again, my Rock Shock doesn't either!

Today I found a new/old stock set in the box for $20. Too bad the original Onza went South.

I think that a person should only try these pedals if they have the time and patience to set them up and have previous experience with clipless pedals.

Shimano

OVERALL

I think as has previously been said, there pedals were good at the time (early 90's) but these days are out of the picture when compared to Frogs, Crank Bros and Time.

Shine them up and put them in a display cabinate, and reminice of the days of fluro lycra and purple bike components.

[Aug 07, 2002]
Bender

OVERALL
Strength:

they're light - compared to the competition at the time I don't know if there was a lighter pedal around
they were good value for the money - I only paid $ 50 for my H.O.'s and for that price there were no alternatives
they are built very simply - I admit that I am not the most caring rider or a maintenance freak but I never had problems with these pedals until recently. A little grease here and there is all. I have never had to replace any parts, not even the elastomers (except for harder ones, but not due to wear). The cleats have held for almost five years now (even the shoes got replaced in the meantime) this is probably due to the fact that I only walk from my house to the garage and back. They could probably still be used for some time.

Where do I start? First of all I hate that there are only four elastomer grades. The softest two are a total waste. I've never used them. The blue ones are ok, but for some time now I have only used black. Now I find them too weak also. For people like me who like a firm grip from the pedals, this is a major setback. Shimano and other spring models are much easlier to adjust. Besides, changing the elastomers is a total pain. They didn't spend much time engineering that part of the system. Secondly I hate the quality of the bushing/spindle. Although my pedals have now run four seasons, I still think they should not break as suddenly as they did, even with regular greasing and inspection. Sand and water kill this pedal like none I've ever had. The final straw are the cleats. There is some float but not nearly enough. I can understand some of you that say they have problems feeling if they are clicked in or not, I have that too, but have you tried lifting your foot? Release without warning is also a problem from time to time. Either they don't release when they are supposed to or they do when you least expect (jumps, downhill etc.). The real problem with the pedals though is the setup. It takes a lot of trail and error to get the alignment of the cleat right. Otherwise your knees will get trashed.

You have to remember that the design is from the early 90's. There are much better alternatives available now. I love Onza but I'm not sentimental. They were great pedals for a time but now they're totally outdated. I'm sorry but anyone buying Onzas today instead of Shimano 959's or Speedplay can't be in their right mind. Don't buy them only so you can put Onza Porcupine stickers on your bike! It's not worth it. I'm going to replace my H.O.'s with Speedplay Frogs next month. Three years ago I would have given 4 chilis overall but not with the competition around today. Onza H.O.'s are history. R.I.P.

Shimano 737 (the first SPD's), Time Criterium (French garbage), Ultegra SPD (very good road pedal), Shimano 959 and Speedplay Frog (both testride only)

OVERALL

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.