CatEye . HL-EL110 Older Lights

[Sep 17, 2003]
keithy

OVERALL
Strength:

Impressive for one LED
Batteries last a long time.
Easy to remove.
Usefully compact.

One LED isnt enough.

If you really HAVE to ride a bike in the dark for 300hrs without changing the batteries, this is the light for you. Otherwise forget it. - Save up and pay 40% more for the HL-EL200.

The lamp uses a very focussed beam, but with virtually no sidelighting. Maybe reaches 80ft but with a dim, tiny, spot, trouble is you'll hit things 3ft away. Like kerbstones. Or hedges.
On a dark unlit road you can just ride uphill at about 3mph with it. Any faster is dangerous. Light output comparable to a 2x AAA Maglite torch.

Too small a light area to be safely seen with, too focussed a beam to be of any use to ride with.
Probably makes a good torch for camping.

HL-EL200, Daylites II twin halogen, dynamos & daylight

[Feb 27, 2004]
CBR Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Long battery life, quality parts, reliable.

Poor light output, dissassembles too easily.

I purchased this lamp to replace my HL-Micro II for nighttime riding. Most the descriptions online said it was bright, and I liked the idea of having a lamp last for so long on one set of batteries. The truth of it is that the light is rather dim, and it really does put out about the same light as the 2xAAA maglite. The light output of the EL110 is not much less than the EL200 (I bought both and compared them side-by-side, so you can save money by buying the EL110) but much, much less than any halogen-based lamp. My recommendation is really to get the old HL-Micro II lamp with the external battery pack and use rechargables if you really need a cheap well made lamp for nighttime riding (if you can still get them).

HL-EL200, HL-MC200, HL-Micro II

[Jan 11, 2003]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Makes people see me.
long battery life
cool blue light

Not water proof.

I bought this to replace an older halogen headlight on my commuter bike because I found I was too lazy to remember to recharge the batteries. I ride in the city so don't need a real headlight but don't feel flashing green lcds register with cars that I'm coming. I feel this light makes them register that I am on the road while I don't have to remember to charge batteries. All in all a great product. Wish it had seals though. Highly recommended.

cateye halogen lights

[Jun 24, 2004]
Seth Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Long Battery life, easy disassembly, easy to upgrade/service, great spot light.

not enough light around the spot to be of much use.

This is my first led ligt, ever! Unfortunatly its also too dim to be of much good. Upon furthr inspection it is apparent it uses a circut board that was designed for use with 3 led's and a flasher chip. Its easy to dissassemble and I plan on adding 2 leds, which will easily fit behind the lens with little modification. Two exta leds would likly fix some of this lights woes. In fact this light has been replaced bt cat eye and is back to producing 3 led lights that look just like this one. Also recomennded for those who love to tinker, swap out the white LED for a green one and use green leds in 5the other two spots as well. be sure they all produce more than 6000 mcd's and you ought to be in good shape, also try and match any new leds to the power rating and size of the old white one.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.