Strong Light all of them Older Headsets

stronglight all of them

[Feb 26, 2002]
Gary Gao

OVERALL
Strength:

so light, colour fits my frame well, seals, needle bearings, stiffness...everything

i bought this headset from last year's bike exhibition here. the price was reasonable. and the quality is quite satisfactory. the colour is the very match of my silver frame. the needle bearings inside is so cute,and they can enjoy a better load distribution than catridge bearings. its weight is also a masterpiece. however,my frame's headtube is very short,and i have to add some washers to raise handlebar. so i should have bought Headstrong instead which has a longer stack height. but my Headlight works without a hitch, it's worth every penny i paid. recommand it to any one who wants both quality and light weight.

tange(crappy!)

[Jun 28, 2000]
Emil

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength! Roller bearings at both ends? Yes please!
Effective seal.
Looks the business, dunnit?

None if compared to the others.

Excellent! I usually trash my head bearings in a year, but these have lasted twice as long, and yet they don't cost twice as much - a lesson for Ritchey.

I'm replacing the cups and rollers now, which in itself is cool, since most manufacturers don't sell just parts for headsets.

Shimano, Aheadset, Ritchey

[Nov 19, 1999]
Biker Guy
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, durable, easy maintainance, modest price.

Stiff feel off the bike, limited selection of headsets, tall stack height. Would be nice if threaded headsets came with Allen-bolt pinch clamp locknut.

There are several Stronglight headsets. My first Stronglight headset was a 1 Delta, which has a single O-ring seal. I had thought it was damaged or misadjusted and tried to adjust it -- either it rattled or felt tight. It turns out that if you adjust it so it feels barely ``too tight'' on the stand, it feels fine when riding (e.g., can ride no-hands). the seal is not great, but the headset seems unaffected by what does get in. After almost ten years of Seattle grime and regular use, almost all the other original parts are broken or worn out,it is one of just a few original parts. The aluminum locknut partlystripped out after about ten years , I put in a steel threaded lockring because it was easy the headset still weighs less than most others (but I can get a replacement locknut cheap so I might do that anyway). It is cheap, light (under 90g), is not troubled by gunk, at least with yearly service, is easy to service, and has not broken or worn out.I put a second , A14 model, on my road bike when the old one was so dimpled it was annoying me. It is heavier and taller but has an Allen-head pinch-clamp locknut. It is integrated with the race, so you cannot use it with a super-tall fork (but the stack height is pretty tall anyway). Also, the A14, though better-sealed, is heavier. I have lubed it a couple of times, otherwise trouble-free.Light weight, half the pricee of the other light headsets, feels funny when the bike is on a stand but feels fine on the road, does the job, year after year.I heard they make a threadless version but I have not seen any specs on it. If you can get one -- get it!

Campagnolo, Chris King, Dia-Compe, Shimano, Specialized, WTB

[Jan 01, 2003]
ozone

OVERALL
Strength:

Roller bearings distribute the load very well,much better than ball bearings.The bearings and races can be replaced allowing the headset to last indefinitely.The bearings come out in a retainer which allows them to be cleaned easily without losing any

Tall stack height.THE FRAME MUST BE FACED AND REAMED PROPERLY OR THIS HEADSET WILL NEVER ADJUST PROPERLY.This really isnt a weakness,but a warning.Other headsets may allow for some imperfections,but those with roller bearings wont.Prep and install it right the 1st time and this headset will last many years.

I use 2 of these.One really old 1" threaded version and a newer threadless one.Ive been using these since the 80s until I could afford Kings.On a road bike they will last forever.If they see more wet conditions,I have had good luck using a headseal or a piece of innertube stretched the bottom race.I think Ive replaced the bearings once on one of my headsets,never had to replace the races.Its a great headset for the money and will last many years with the proper maintainance.Id say theyre just about as good as a King but require a bit more maintainance.

King(the only headset Ive found thats better than the Stronglite.Campy,Raceface,Ritchey

[Nov 25, 1999]
Lars
Downhiller

Strength:

Don't really work at all

It's just loose all the time!

Chris King, Dia Compe

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.