Aheadset Threadless Older Headsets

This 1 1/8" threadless headset provides smooth performance at an inexpensive price. Durable yet lightweight aluminum alloy construction with 5/32" ball steel bearings. Stack height 27mm. Includes top cap, adjusting bolt and star nut.

[Jul 03, 2002]
Stenchy

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong and durable, plus inexpensive!

None so far and its been on two bikes in two years.

A good headset that has lasted two years for me in extremely sandy, humid conditions. If the guy from NYC had a torque wrench he would be riding as I type this. Bottom line: Durable and cheap.

[Jan 03, 2002]
Niels Joubert

OVERALL
Strength:

Good price. For a normal rider, perfect!

Water and worse grease enemies easily gets into the headset. This is not a big problem, but if your headset feels grainy or worn out, open up and grease!

As I said, water and worse grease enemies easily gets into the headset. This is not a big problem, but if your headset feels grainy or worn out, open up and grease!

This headset is not perfectly smooth. Even when it is new you can feel the ball bearings running inside the headset, but this s to be expected, and you don't even notice it while you are riding.

I would reccomend this headset to everyone from beginner up. Of course, if you have the money, you can spend it on a better headset, but this one does the job! In over 2 years of use, I only had to open it once!

[Mar 26, 2003]
Eric Davis

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, effective, and ease of use

Cap

This is an excellent headset, but when I first installed it, i tightened the nut down, and before I got it tight enough to hold my steerer tube, the plastic cap on top broke through. Completely useless. I managed to salvage it with a visit to a local bike shop and buying a new, metal cap. Great price, good quality, just may require 5 more bucks to make safe enough to ride on.

[Dec 16, 2002]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong product

none found

I have these units on two of my bikes for two years now. I just clean and repack them once a year and adjust them maybe twice a year. Excellent headsets for x-country. If you ride in wet conditions a lot, you should clean and repack them several times per year.

Chris King

[Jun 22, 2002]
Leif Linder

OVERALL

Aheadset would not adjust correctly - when it wa tightened down, so that steering was sticky it still clicked when rocking bike back and forth. The cause? I think it is that dorky nylon spacer they have between the top bearing and the fork. Also, the star thing that you sink into the fork tube, broke when I tried to tighten it. And, boy! That was fun trying to get out again. I'm going to demand my money back and get a Chris King.

I can't recommend this headset, not matter how cheap its cost.

[Jun 16, 2002]
B.D.C.

OVERALL
Strength:

strong and smooth

I have the cartridge bearing Aheadset set. It has steel alloy cups and has lasted three frames. Not even a scratch and it's still smooth. I'm not even sure if they make it anymore.

[Jul 13, 2006]
Ryan Ferraro

OVERALL
Strength:

inexpensive, holds well. Quality parts (except plastic cap)

Be careful and pay attention to what you are doing. I tightened the top cap a bit too much and snapped it. I had to put a metal washer above the cap in order to ride.

Good product, keep in mind you get what you pay for. Recomended for an easy setup, just don't hammer down on that bolt. I just ordered an FSA Pig to replace my aheadset.

Generic bike sets.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.