Topline SL Older Cranks

[Jun 03, 1996]
Ola Helenius
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I`ve ridden the Topline crancs for about two yers. They are light (360grams without rings and hardware) and stiff enough for me since I'm pretty light. The not so good thing is that they aren't low profile i.e. You can't mount them onto short XT/LX type bottombrackets. and the required longer ones do cause a little bit more flex. Overall a pretty good product with a pretty good price

[Feb 29, 1996]
Francis

OVERALL

These cranks are probably the lightest available at 360 grams. They are durable and they look cool too. For my 140 lbs. weight there is none of the dreaded crank flex. I got some creaking when I paired them with sampson ti bottom bracket so I went back to shimano and the problem went away.

[Jan 15, 2000]
Kelly

OVERALL
Strength:

light, beautiful, lastability

not compatible with every type of pedal (Time) b/c not drilled out on both sides

I have had mine for as long as I've been riding mountain bikes pretty much, which has been about 4 yrs. This means I have had them before I was a smoother rider. I have not had any problems whatsoever. I even bought them on a used bike. Then after 3 years, I bought a complete new bike and kept the cranks b/c they made my bike that much lighter. They are gorgeous, don't make any noise, and I recommend them. I weigh about 135 and bought them from someone about the same weight, but we both have raced with them, and they're still going strong!

[May 17, 1998]
Eric
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I rode a pair of these for two years until one day when riding guess what happens? Yes, they broke at the spindle, so I sent them back and waited TWO months for a replacement.
When the replacement cranks finally arrived, they were defective!! The spindle hole on the left crankarm was misaligned.
Performence-wise, Toplines are not bad, but because of the shit service I would advise all others to spend elsewhere.

[Oct 27, 1997]
Chris Trapeni
racer

OVERALL

Well, I have loved these cranks for two years, but today they failed me. They broke in half at the spindle hole just as I landed off of a drop off. Does SL = stupid light? BTW, I am well under the weight limit at 140 and most of my riding is typical X-C race riding.

[Aug 21, 2000]
Pascal NEPPER

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

a bit fragile

I may be the only one that broke it in the middle of the left arm... 'cos I landed with the pedal on a rock, so it's my fault.
It's a good lightweight crank, maybe not for a hardcore/DH rider.
I now use a Race Face that seem to be very strong, even if they are a bit heavier.

Shimano, Sugino, Race Face

[Feb 04, 2000]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight

Don't know yet.

I have had these cranks for 4 years now and have not had a problem yet. They will creak if used with a Ti bottom bracket but a little Ti Prep keeps them quiet. I weigh 180 lbs which is near there max. but they don't really flex to much. Great cranks.

XT

[Sep 03, 1999]
JAY

OVERALL
Strength:

LIGHT, LOOKS COOL, HAS BEEN
THROUGH HELL AND BACK

IT HAS STARTED TO CREAK

HAMMERED THEM! SEVERAL DOZEN TRIPS TO MOAD, CRESTED BUTTE, DURANGO. THESE GUYS ALWAYS PERFORMED. 177.5. I'M 6'2 182 LBS. I WOULD
LIKE TO MOUNT THEM ON MY NEW LITESPEED TSALI BUT THEY HAVE STARTED TO
CREAK AND THEY LOOK SO SPINDALLY I'M AFRAID THEY HAVE HAD ENOUGHT.
BUT THEY SURE HAVE BEEN GOOD CRANKS. STILL LOOK GOOD TOO.

XTR, XT, ICON

[Mar 19, 1999]
Ya Mon
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

LIGHT !!!!

Could not install Kooka Chainrings on it. The stop to prevent the cahain from falling off the big chainring was hitting the crankarm.

Great product if used as intended. I certainly would not use these if I were over 150# and rode like a Pig. If you are not smooth, don't try these. I used to race as a roadie and developed a smooth riding style.

Shimano

[Dec 29, 1998]
tom
racer

OVERALL

Read the review below by Charlie from Southport, Conn. below; he's right on the mark. These cranks were designed for smooth riders with some feel, not for monkeys that have no clue about design or materials. For those who care, Topline has stopped production. They got tired of dealing with brainless monkeys. I've ridden, raced and hammered these cranks all over the planet for six years with zero problems!!!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.