Rigid Unsuspended Forks Front Shock

Rigid Unsuspended Forks

[Feb 22, 2011]
xmessenger

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight,lack of maintenance,power transmission especially for climbs.Price!

Sussies are superior on rooted/rock strewn trails and most drops and downhills.

I have a 96 project2 and use my bike for the city and light trails mostly, and I'm quite pleased with it.going over wooden bridges this fork does smooth out the jabbing of the washboard,handles very precisely and makes the front end very flickable. For what I use my bike for, this fork compliments the old skool Tange Ultralight frame perfectly. I really don't miss suspension but then I'm not doing any hairy trails either.

suspension

[Oct 05, 2003]
Adam W

OVERALL
Strength:

you can feel what your riding over, better turning, light, every color possible, strong, makes you look tough for doing jumps with no suspension

a little jarring over roots and jumps

awesome for small jumps and winter riding. With the kind of brakes i have, coupled with the forks insanely light weight, make the bike light enough to climb hills. I would advise to use suspension whenever its warm enough, but use these for winter

I used to ride Freestlye races and i have had everything from no suspension forks to a manitou dorado

[Oct 22, 2001]
Pascal Cormeau

OVERALL
Strength:

Rigid forks are very stiff, .light and have a unique feel. They are perfect for trials and give any rider far better controll.

Tripple nothing seals, 12 inches of plush reboundless bend travel(off big drops). Also, very hard on wrists and arms.

I once heared that many gay people like to ride suspention forks. I love rigid forks. SUSPENTION IS FOR LOSER, GAY PEOPLE, FREE-RIDERS OR DOWNHILLERS. Ever since I got into trials, I have never even considered going back to squish. The main advantage is that you can get really hopity because they are light and stiff. With suspention forks, your energy is waisted when you bunny-hop so that you don't go as heigh.

If you are into downhill or like to huck big, rigid is not the way to go. The reason for this is simply that rigid forks aren't strong enough to take high-impacts. They bend... But for cross contry (gram couning retards) and trials, rigid forks are just the ticket.

Another sweetness factor of rigid forks is the feel! You have complete control over your bike. Trick that are normally almost impossible become easy: ex nose weelies and J-hops.

In my mind, the best rigid fork on the market today is a double crown wonder with no travel and disc brake hangars made by KEWL Komponents USA.

If I have no convinced you that rigid forks are the way to go, allow me to suggest the Bomber Atom 80: the best fork in the world. The only problem with this fork is the price ($600 Canadian ouch!).

Jett XC, Judy SL, atom 80(sweeeeeeeeeet) catwalkin' with no fork

[Nov 12, 2002]
coggsworth

OVERALL
Strength:

To all those who say rigid forks are weaker than suspension forks, think BMX. Those guys on the half pipes consistantly getting 12' of air don't ride suspension. The guys riding Dirt Jumps, also getting over 10' of air, don't hardly use suspension. Trials riders, who are consistantanly abusive to their bikes, ,use rigid forks. Why? because they give you a direct feel of what your bike is doing.

Beginner riders will have to learn to handle obstacles rather than bomb over them. You wont win any Downhill races with a rigid fork. They will screw up your f.s. freeride bikes impeccable handling. ;-)

To me, riding a bike is not all about speed or comfort. You can say rigid forks are unsafe, but I'd say that the beginner rider on a 8" travel d.h. bike bombing down a hill with no idea how to control his bike is far more dangerous than the bouncy vibro massaged guy on a rigid fork who can't go too fast because, well, he can't!
I submit this: I never change oil, springs air pressure, I never worry about seals, stiction or rebound dampening. I ride down hills that my F.S. buddies who race the Canada Cup circut wouldn't touch. On a rigid bike with fat tires

Planet X rigid forks, an array of rigid forks, all cromo steel. Judy XL's, Manitou EFC, and the original Rock Shox

[Feb 26, 2003]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple, no yearly rebuilds, no brake dive, it won't need parts that will be discontinued next year, it will improve your riding skill and teach you to pick good lines.

It's not 'cool' there is no travel to brag to your buddies about, mine has no disc mount, mine isn't light, but some are. What do you expect for free?

Rigid is cheap. Rigid can be light. (usually not both) Rigid will show you the way. Rigid will make you a really proficient rider. Ride rigid, ride well. Then when you go to suspension, you will flow like water on the trail. You won't just flop around hanging on for dear life as your bike careens down the trail scaring the bloody piss out of all who see you. My friends can barely keep up with me on my rigid singlespeed. Because of that, when I ride my full suspension bike, they only see me when I stop to wit for them.

Lots of suspension forks, great on the right bike but not this one.

[Nov 15, 2001]
Alfred Klek

OVERALL
Strength:

light, cheap, cool looking (ha, that was a joke BTW). YOU CAN FEEL WHAT YOU ARE RIDING OVER

sometimes it hurts

i like riding rigid. every once and a while i say to myself "self, maybe it's time you got a suspension fork." then i pass someone riding some FS job and i don't.
riding rigid is what makes MTBing MTBing for me. if i don't want to deal with rocks and roots and stuff i'll ride on the road. i like thinking about my line and how much hitting that big f***ing rock in the middle of the trail is going to hurt a lot if i hit it, so i don't (or i hit it right so it doesn't hurt).
someone here said that if you mess up a landing on a jump it hurts a lot. man, what a piece of rocket science that is. of course it's going to hurt, you messed it up, it should hurt! next time you get to a jump say to yourself "hmmmm, that hurt last time when i messed up my landing, i guess this time i won't mess up my landing."
there is also the downhill thing. i can do a downhill almost as fast as most suspended riders because i have learned through painful realizations in the past that if you hit a rock without a shock, you will come off the trail and lose your steering which can lead to going off the trail and hitting a tree or a bear or something. this makes downhilling a "challenge" which in my opinion is far more exciting than barreling down a big rocky hill at 25MPH. there is also the realization that if you go down a hill, you're eventually going to have to come up it again. going uphill is an undisputable advantage of riding rigid where the extra control and lighter weight give you the advantage.
Anyhow i guess the real bottom line is that mountain biking is, in essence, a pretty dumb sport. if i wanted to travel on singletrack to see the scenery, the easiest way to do it is by walking it. by taking a machine that was originally designed for people to get around on in cities we, as MTBers, provide ourselves with a challenge that does not have to be there. riding with suspension takes away part of that challenge, the challenge that we all silently agree to when we start riding. on a side note however, most of my friends ride suspended (both hardtail and FS) and they still enjoy riding and i enjoy riding with them. there are sections of trail where they go faster than me because they are suspended, and sections of trails where i go faster because i ride rigid. i'm sure they get more enjoyment out of downhills than i do, but i probably get more enjoyment out of technical work than they do. anyhow, whatever, i ride rigid and i like it (so there).

can't honestly say that i've ever ridden a suspension fork for any considerable amount of time.

[Mar 01, 2003]
DiRT

OVERALL
Strength:

Lighten your load. For winter commuting/riding, rigid is a must.

Not really that much fun.

I put on a rigid fork for winter commuting. The ride is not as harsh in winter, snow/ice gives a little, but I need the direct control and shocks don't work well in sub 0 temps. Plus salty roads wear out a shock.

Rigid riding has its appeal, and a different technique: hold the bar a little loose and float over loose/rough stuff. But I don't find its appeal is higher than my suspension fork--just different use.

[May 05, 2001]
Philipp

OVERALL

Rigid forks have some great advantages: they are light, stiff and cheap. They make every ride much more difficult and they are the only way becoming a good rider. On the other hand agressive riders or agressive trails will be a problem: because of the stiffness your frame or your rims can be damaged, and the feeling of riding downhill with an rigid fork is not very cool.
The way I prefer is called HeadShok: if the trail is not to rough, i can lock them out easily and have a fork that is almost as stiff as a rigid fork. If I need suspension, I can simply turn it on again and have 80mm of travel. But HeadShok is of course not as lightweight and as cheap.

[Apr 30, 2001]
racer x

OVERALL

man, rigid is the way to go.

but the weak who knock the rigid fork because it hurts their hands--they don't understand. WE RIDE MT. BIKES BECAUSE IT'S CHALLENGING. we don't want a silly, slow, coast through the woods. to the downhiller who prefers to let his equipment experience the challenge of mt. biking, you're missing the point. like any other "extreme" way to hurt yourself with little investment of time or effort, that market will eat itself. anybody notice all the big companies pulling the plug on their downhill teams? commercial america moved on to the next extreme sport. you can too. go ahead, scoot.

i'm not saying everyone who doesn't ride rigid is a poser, but people who get into the sport on full suspension will probably never, ever understand.

i enjoy descending with way more authority than those fat, spoiled sissies on their full susp. i like riding/hopping trials style onto/off of picnic tables, walls, etc. and knowing exactly where my front wheel is. i LOVE putting the hammer down on short climbs (like at chicopee) and feeling no bob-->100% power transmission to
the rear wheel. I LIKE THE CHALLENGE OF MT. BIKING. i'm sorry that you don't, mike.

i even value seeing the hrm read 197bpm, although briefly, when i really get pumping. yep, i'm actually a road racer, with a single speed as my pure unabridged version of trail riding. (sigh)

but, it beats me down after long days of rooty trails. so.....
if i can ever afford to, i'll get a softail for epic rides. hah!

[Apr 25, 2001]
Crazy Bit#$

OVERALL
Strength:

Surly 4130 rigid fork:
-Stiff
-NO MAINTENENCE!
-Light
-No bob
-Instant response--great for pullin' crazy-ass trials moves
-Cheap

-Stiff!!
-Hurts on nasty descents(Plattekill comes to mind...)
-A bit#$ on hard landings
-Hell on the bike's frame and your lower back

Perfect for newbies lookin' to improve their skills,because it forces you to actually PICK a line,rather than just bomb through like a dumbass.It's also the only logical choice for trials.

But if you want to take Plattekill-style descents at speed,then a rigid fork is YOUR WORST ENEMY!!Bikes handle+descend+land better with a good suspension fork on the front(I use a Z2 Atom,the best short-travel fork in the whole damn world..sure beats rigid),which is why I bought one.Hey,call me a pu$$ie,I don't care.I'm not stupid.

It's still fun to throw on the rigid fork,'cause it's a good test for your skills.And I just get a kick out of watching the expressions on Gravity-Games posers' faces when you blow by their slow asses on a SINGLE-SPEED with a rigid fork!!!HAHAHAHA!!!

I'll give rigid forks 4 chilies just for that reason alone..

Old BMX fork..

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.