Sun Total Bike 1998 or Older

Sunn Total

[Apr 23, 2001]
Todd Cates

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast, responsive unique graphics

Just the cheap Diacomp headset

This bike is great. It weighs 24 pounds. I had a Specialized FSR but it was HEAVY so I sold it and built this one. The better I get, the more it pushes me to GO!GO!GO!!!
The CROMO frame is very responsive and LIGHT. If you can find one and you are looking for a light, inexpensive, fast responsive frame that just happens to be a soft-tail,
THIS IS IT.

Schwinn Mesa GSX,

[Oct 05, 1999]
J. Simmons

OVERALL
Strength:

good buy for the price

hard time finding a dealer to replace broken parts

This is the first mt bike I have ever owned. Looks like I got duuped on the price 600 vs the 299 on airbomb. I had a few problems in the first couple of months. The bolt on the soft tail went bad, seat post clamp broke, pin that goes into brake stay on my avid brakes broke (now shimano XTR rear brakes). More recently my rear hub broke, and took three weeks to fix because the bike shop had no clue where to find parts.
ON the good side the bike rides great. I have put it through the paces from advanced to intermediate singletrack DHs, to jumping it with my friend who rides a BMX. It climbs great and handles anything that a Specialized M2 can handle. The obsys elastomere fork has bottomed out on me a few times, and I plan on replacing it. If you want a great bike for the price, get this bike.

this is it

[Aug 28, 1999]
Eug

OVERALL
Strength:

Affordable REAL mountain bike

Cheesy stickers

I bought the stock frame, fork, headset, BB, front derailleur, and seatpost. The rest of the parts are mine: V-brakes, ESP 7.0 rear derailleur and shifters, new SRAM chain, new XT cassette, Matrix Guru front rim, new Sun Sub IV rear (handbuilt wheel by yours truly), Sugino cranks, Shimano clipless pedals etc.First off, I must point out that this bike is just slightly too big for me. Despite the very low standover height, it has a 58 cm top tube, which makes sense given that it's labelled with a 45 cm frame size. ie. To me it rides like a 17.5 frame in Trek terms. (I usually ride a 16.5.)Handling: Not as peppy as the alu bikes, but hey it's ChroMo and it's a softtail. The softtail travel for my 150 lbs ends up only being about 1/3 but it's enough to smooth out the ride. It probably is more suited for someone, say 180 lbs or more maybe. The elastomers can be swapped out though. The frame and BB (LP-27) are a tad heavy but are fine as is the headset. Headset is standard threadless - definite bonus if you want to swap the fork in the future.Handling seems a tad sluggish, but part of that is due to the incorrect sizing for me. However, I wonder if the long wheel base has something to do with it too - dunno. I found that because of the weight distribution (sizing again?) and because of the bouncy shock I found myself doing wheelies on steep climbs but I suppose one could compensate for that. Not a problem on my other bike though.The Sunn ElastObsys suspension fork works well enough for an elastomer fork, but damping isn't the greatest obviously. Most of the 55 mm travel can be used by even me going off 1 foot drops so for someone heavier I'd imagine they could bottom it out if they were aggressive. There's some stiction and it's not terribly stiff. No boots either. It works better and is stiffer than a '98 RockShox Indy S though. Damn light too, at only 2.9 lbs. (I usually ride a 3.8 lb Z2 Atom Bomb.)I don't know how well the stock drivetrain is, but it would still be a 5 star value for the price. As a frame in general it's definitely not high-end but good for a beginner/intermediate - 3 stars for performance.Overall 4 burnt peppers!

GT, Trek, lots others

[Aug 16, 1999]
BDG

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Smooth Ride
Parts

headset

This bike is awesome for the price. Components are great and works well with the bike. Though you might have to spend a couple of bucks to upgrade the headset and tires, but its all worth it!!! I've taken it out on the trail and the bike was very comfortable. And when it came down to it, was very sturdy in the rough terrain. Shocks were great and the Soft-tail helped out alot. Hoping to take on more challenging trails, and a little downhill. We'll see how it survives?? Great job SUNN!!!

GT
Schwinn

[Aug 13, 1999]
SCM

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Weight
Components
Tange double-butted cro-mo frame

schrader valve

Don't let the price fool you. The components are comparable to bikes in the $400-$900 range. For example, the Avid 1.0 brakesets can be found on $900 bikes such as the Trek 7000 and Fisher Big Sur.This is the 98 model. I have the 18 inch frame. Standover clearance is good because the top tube drops down a good 2 inches from the top of the seat tube. The distance from the top tube to the bottom bracket is just 15.5 inches.My first reaction was that the chrome plated finish reminds me of department store/Toys R US bikes! But I don't mind that at all, because chrome plated resists scratching and chipping far better than painted finishes. I haven't had the chance to take it out to the trails yet, only been riding around on the streets. I'll be back in a few weeks with a more indepth review.Specs-
Weight = 26.5 lbs
wheelbase=107cm
handlebar = 560mm
stem = 110mm
seatpost = 26.4mm

Giant Rincon, Fisher Big Sur, GT Tempest, GT Aggressor.