Schwinn Homegrown XT Bike 1998 or Older

Schwinn Homegrown XT

[Nov 19, 2009]
josh1377

OVERALL
Strength:

everything its the best

i will never get rid of this bike i have had it for many years and rode it as hard as someone can i race and just ride for fun i go riding to work and everywhere else and let me say the bike is as solid as the day i bought it i haven't changed anything except the hand grips if you want a inexpensive hard tail bike that will last you a very long time check out this one

[Jun 20, 2007]
Nunya Biz

OVERALL
Strength:

GREAT FRAME! (Yeti) very good geometry, excellent climber, very strong, lite, fast, good handling. Couldn't really ask for a better hard-tail.

I'd have to say NONE except for the RS Judy XC fork but even then those aren't that bad (for their age) if you are a light rider (under 160#). I'm 5'10" & 195# so they are a bit to soft for me.

Change the RS Judy XC to a 2007 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA and what you have is one of the best hard-tails ever made.
I have had no problems with paint or anything else.
Bike is 7-8 years old and still in great condition, rock solid and smooth as silk.
This bike is pretty hard to beat, if you see one for sale BUY IT!.
5+ chilis

[Aug 03, 2006]
Thorne Saunders

OVERALL
Strength:

This Bike is awesome. I have had lots of bikes. For the money nothing is better - period.

Not sure what the deal is with everyone's paint. I bought my bike new in 98, still looks very good, with little to no paint loss.

Now that it is year 2006, I feel my bike could stand a little upgrading, especailly the front disc brake. But as for the frame itself, best handling, climbing, turning frame out there. Sad that Schwinn no longer has anything that compares!

Nothing quite like the true Homegrown.

[Dec 25, 2005]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Without a doubt, fit and stiffness of frame.

Fork is a bit soft.

This is the second one I've owned (I was stupid enough to sell my first one when I bought a full suspension bike and kicked myself ever since). There is no other hardtail that I've tried that rides so fast and climbs so well. This bike literally is a love at first ride bike. Replacable derailleur hangers means this can be a bike for a lifetime.

There is nothing similar to the homegrown!

[Jul 23, 1999]
Louie Weber
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Disc Brake up front, Judy XC performance, XTR rear derailer, geometry of the frame

Paint chips in some spots, scott pedals, Wildgripper tires 2.1 are to wide, Grips don't stay still

The bike rides fast!! I have only been in two races with it so far, and both times excellent performance, whith the exception of the scott pedals which i switched out for times. The disc brake and plush ride of the judy XC makes taking downhills a charm not to mention faster. Even with the 8 speed rear casette I am able to climb almost any hills because of the great geometry. The bass boat orange adds to the whole package to give some seriously great looks that turn heads. This is a great ride and I would recommend it for anybody who wants to get serious about riding and get into some races, or even for a beginner who wants to get into the sport and get a good ride at the same time. I have not had any problem with the disc brake pads, as told in other reviews about the rockshoc disc, but have replaced the rear v-brake pads already do to excessive riding because I can't stay off the bike for more than a couple of hours at a time. I even bought the thing on close-out so that made the deal even sweeter.

Cadd 2 F500, Big Sur

[Sep 14, 2000]
Jim Kennedy

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling, terrific climber and is a blast on the singletrack. Cool Bassboat Orange paint and hotrod decals. All around nice xc bike. Also Rock Shox disc brake has been very capable, though I can't compare to others.

Scott pedals blew up on me in less than a year. Paint chips easily and the decals pealed after a few "non-harsh" washings.

Room to upgrade parts, but solid mix (other than the pedals) for the price. Surprisingly happy with rapid rise rear derailleur. Can't understand the criticism, especially on uphills. Disc hasn't given me reason to complain, yet. I'd recommend this bike to any xc rider. Still gets positive looks and comments after 3 years!

Trek 8300 & 7000, Gary Fischer Paragon, Schwinn S20.

[Sep 14, 2000]
Jim Kennedy

Strength:

Trek 8300 & 7000, Gary Fischer Paragon, Schwinn S20.

[Oct 24, 2000]
Nate Snell
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

6061 Aluminum frame is light and stiff. Handles nice and tigbht in the DH and climbs like a greased monkey.

Rock Shox disc brakes just plain suck. Switche dout to XT V's and I'm a happy camper.
Judy XC is a bit too soft for a 6'2 185 guy that pounds the roots and rocks in the DH singletrack the way I do.

After I "lost" my M2 I was on the hunt for a comperable bike but had a limit of $ 800.00 to spend. I wanted the highest quality at the cheapest price. I read all the reviews that the 98' Homegrown XT had and they all gave the 98' XT 5 flamin' chili's! What other bike can say that?
I bought this on Ebay for exactly $ 678.00 and I have never been happier with a downhill bike. Hmmmm...if my wife wouldn't mind I'd bring it to bed with us every night. Don't F*%#K around, buy a Homegrown!

Stumpjumper M2, Rockhopper.

[Jul 05, 2000]
Mary Reskusic

OVERALL
Strength:

My Schwinn Homegrown is a sweet ride; the best purchase I've made yet. The frame is durable and has survived a few good spills.

The zero degree rise stem from the factory is at disadvantage for neck comfort and DH.

Homegrown is an incredible hardtail with a sweet frame and shock setup.

Raleigh M50 with Mag 21 shock.

[Sep 16, 1999]
Flipside
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

great components/stiff, but not punishing frame/ great geometry for climbing/

RS Judy XC fork /scott pedals

The Homegrown XT is a SWEEEEET-ASS ride! I got it for REAL cheap since it was a 97 and I have never been happier. Great all-around cross-country bike. You can make it lighter if you wanted, but if you're not a racer, don't worry about it. I am a Homegrown junkie now and I don't think I'll ever ride another bike.
If you have the means... I highly recommend it - it's so choice. The only thing wrong, is the RS Judy XC fork - go for the new 99 model or do what I did and get a Marzzochi - what a difference!

GT zaskar, cannonshit/ rocky mountain t.o. vertex