Orange P7 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Orange P7 Bike

[Apr 14, 2010]
casestudy26

OVERALL
Strength:

I tried out a friends P7 before buying mine used. I had Norco prior to the P7. I was impressed with the rigidity and handling at speed. I fell off a few years ago - nearly broke my collarbone. Took me a while to sum up the courage to return to the bike. Glad I did.
I get loads of compliments on the frame - Northshore riders have some amazing kit so it takes something special to get their attention.

The paint work (Nickel plating) is on its last legs. But granted, that is after nearly 15yrs of hard riding.

A mate of mine met the founder of Orange bikes in a pub a few years ago. He stated that once the frame had been perfected there was not much else to do, it was then all down to the quality of forks you put on the bike. The P7 is perfect!

Tried other hardtails. The orange is very stiff and responsive.

[Nov 09, 2009]
Jack ED

OVERALL
Strength:

with an almost dialled geometry lets you feel the trail rolling under you which is very confidence inspiring. This makes for an ideal first bike for someone new to mountain bikeing or a laid back XC bike for anyone who wants to get out there and have a hassle free ride!

Nothing that I’ve found ride wise. the steel frame and age of the bike has led to a few spots of rust, one of which is about the size of a penny, but with a bit of care this isn't an issue!

A proper XC bike! What the p7 doesn't have in overly fancy, or bling or exotic frame design it makes up for in a lovely geometry and feel! the P7 just screams "ride me"

Carrera vaulcan. GT aggressor

[Sep 11, 2009]
Prof3550R

OVERALL
Strength:

Flexible but strong 21" Nickel plated frame, STX-RC chainset

STX-RC 3 ring shifter, Orange wheels.

Now apparently a "retro" classic, this bike gets the cogniscentii drooling. It still works like it did when I bought it and it's not had an easy life - I'm around 100kg/220lbs and throw it off drops and kerbs routinely. Only a BIG crash (looped it) caused a head race bearing to go oval.
The STX-RC 3 ring shifter packed up ages ago and I replaced it - with LX (?) which is still going strong.
The wheels wore pretty quickly due to grit and sand/brake, and cracks around the spokes finished them off. Fitted some lovely Mavics a couple of years back.

Otherwise still largely stock (Specialized saddle)
;-)

[Aug 26, 2009]
redmallard8

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength, weight, lively ride, looks.

none... my bike is now over thirteen years old. I have replaced parts as they have worn and it has never let me down. MBR reviewed it again April 2009... and still rate it as one of the best!

if you want a bike that is fantastic to ride and lasts the passage of time this is the one!

clockwork orange prior to P7

[May 21, 2009]
plussa

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent handling, excellent geometry, a classic bike from a legendary British brand

Awkward sliding dropout system not the best out there. Chaintugs would be better.

The bike is just so fun to ride, especially SS. Feels strong and agile, with a slight springy feel when pushed hard. Got to agree with all the positive magazine reviews out there. Sold my 5" full sus frame because of this.

Remember to use loctite and torque wrench when adjusting the dropouts. Tip: Use carbon fiber assembly compound between the frame and dropout to reduce the risk of slippage. 180 cranks are a must for long-legged riders when riding SS!

Thanks to Orange bikes for good service with dropout issues!

Kona Caldera, Stumpy FSR 120

[May 12, 2008]
tim oates

OVERALL
Strength:

Integrity....no other word for it. Careful design on every element - and not just a 'single monomaniac philosophy this is the way it's going to be' careful design - each aspect of the frame thought through and delivered - this is like the bontrager racelite, but in a high production volume frame. Bulletproof. Flexy like only thin guage steel can be - soft in the right directions so you don't get beaten up - stiff in the other directions so you feel the power being transmitted. I've got full suspension rigs, titanium hardtail, beat-you-up Klein, but I have enjoyed the C16R and P7 steel oranges the most. Like the guys above say, on a matter of gut-instinct preference, the smile from your boots glee factor comes with the oranges - which says something for the people who designed this frame. Who should buy this bike? Well the old 1" headset 1995 frame I have is a sought after classic - any one with sense should grab one on ebay while you can....

er... er... sun off the nickel plating blinds me occasionally?

They take the s**t and just keep going and all the time with a smile on your face...this is handbuilt quality from an off the peg bike. Nice.

bontrager racelite xtr throughout (but I keep this for sunny days); C16R Orange. Marin Team steel (with the amazingly long top tube 58cm in 15" - wonderful)

[Jun 09, 2003]
richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength, weight, lively ride, looks.

1 inch headtube - the only problem at all. Means its difficult to upgrade things at the front end.

The whole thing is 23lb and very reliable. Climbs like nothing I've ever ridden and feels indestructible on the way down. Makes you feel and go like a much better rider.
It handles a longish fork without problem.
The frame is so springy and lively yet neutral and firm. When riding technical trails, the bike seems to disappear and one doesn't point the bike, but just look at ones lines. instinctive riding. the only bike i've ridden that came close was a fat chance yo eddy.
Not just good value, but surely one of the best steel frames ever built at any price.

many many steel and aluminium hardtails, including three other Oranges.

[Apr 04, 2004]
George The Goblin

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredible handling, lightning acceleration, zingy steel ride, gorgeous bright Orange stickers of nickel-finish frame.

Nickel-finish comes off a bit easily, the much-bemoaned 1" headset, the fact that the bike is fitter and stronger than I and makes me do stuff I shouldn't...

I bought it very cheaply from a colleague and have altered a few bits to make it into a MTB that suits me. I must admit that I haven't had the bike for very long, but I've ridden it enough to know that it handles very well indeed, even with the 80mm forks that are slightly too long for it. The frame is very compliant in the the right places, but still snaps forwards under acceleration.
If you're looking for a bike that will outlive you, think titanium is too hyped and aren't looking for ridiculously fat aluminium tubes, buy a P7: they still make 'em!
(As a side-note: Why do people ride aluminium bikes when steel of this quality is available? Wake up big-bike-companies! We want bikes made of iron and stuff!)

Kona Cinder Cone, Kona Hahanna, Merlin cromo

[Mar 23, 1998]
Andrew Dowle
weekend warrior

OVERALL

Nickel finish scratches quite easily, but no worse than the painted bikes I've had, and it doesn't show up so easily. Responsive, quick and well built, let down only because I went for LX rather than XT groupset. Change the forks for some decent shocks and it's difficult to beat for handling and comfort.

[Mar 31, 1998]
Riyad
weekend warrior

OVERALL

Picked up my P7 at the weekend and I've never enjoyed riding a bike as much as this.
Haven't had a chance to push it really hard yet, since I'm recovering from a knee injury, but I can't wait.
I must admit that I fell in love with the P7 when i saw the nickel finish last year, but I got mine with Team Orange paint work and it looks even better.
Spec is LX/STX-RC with AVID V-Brakes and the usual Orange bits and bobs.
If you're looking for a bike around the £700 UK mark, you can't do much better than this.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.