Orange Clockwork Bike 1998 or Older

Orange Clockwork

[May 01, 2007]
Roger Swaine

OVERALL
Strength:

A great lightweight cro-mo steel frame which had just the right amount of spring but was still pretty stiff and responsive in the rear triangle when accelerating out of the saddle. The original pre-94 rigid forks did the frame justice. Looking down at the front wheel the hub was a blur as it absorbed just the right amount of vibration but retained the steering precision of a good quality rigid fork.

Very poor original paintjob and it was quite scary how much the seatpost clamp flexed when you tightened it up.

I toured 1000's of miles on this bike and it never let me down. It was a joy to own and I regret giving it away to a friend.

If you can find one of these frames somewhere, strip it down, get a professional to paint it for you and you've got a bike for life. A fantastic everyday bike for touring, commuting or a some easy Sunday dusty trail somewhere.

Raleigh Peak, Saracen Tufftrax. Current bike: Orange P7

[Aug 11, 2006]
Paul Manuel

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb - proof frame that 16 years on still catches the eye and imagination of fellow riders.
Great ride, comfortable, strong, quick and precise steering. Super agile and everlasting.

I will one day wear this baby out

After leaving her in the shed and riding my O2 to death, I rediscovered the best ride of my 15 years mountain biking. Now my O2 frame is hanging on the shed wall and my Clockwork gets all the upgrades - so much for her just being my hack bike!!

If you get the chance to buy one of these take it while you can still get one 'cos she's a retro classic that will take anything you dish out.

I have done everything from big days out to 24 hour xc races on my baby and she eats it. You get some great looks when you burn the full sussers too!!!

Orange O2, Scott comp racing, Kona cindercone, lavadome

[Sep 18, 2001]
Matt Robinson

OVERALL
Strength:

great frame - everytime i get on board i want to go that bit faster and further. Handles really well - and comes back for more!
My bike has seen 4 years and 3000 miles of abuse - including leading mtb sessions on a daily basis. It is dented, scratched and looks a bit of dog, but everone who rides it loves it. Handles great - used it for silly sessions at the BMX track to big multi day rides in Scotland.

Cheapo forks are pogo-tastic - mind you i still have em and they work....1st Saddle was a pain in the....

Buy one and ride it.

many many hardtails....

[Nov 15, 2000]
Anthony Burton

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength, Versatility, Great platform for upgrading, I'm relatively 'new' to the trail bashing I'm doing at the moment and this green beauty takes all the bruising I throw at it. With the Manitou Spyder fork, it's given me more spills and smiles than I can think of. Great start for anyone wanting to get into serious (ish) MTBing.

Upgrading started almost immediately. Pedals had to go, seat has lasted but will be upgraded soon. LX brakes. Mavic wheel set with LX hubs (as original Ritchey hub on rear wore very quickly. What can I say?- nothing would stop me buying my Girlfriend one- except that she wouldnt thrash it like it wants to be.

Get one, or a similar Orange set up if youre interested in a strong, reliable start in the adventures of mountain biking! Buy one for youre best lady too, if you think she will bend it round corners like you can.

Raleigh Chopper- 1984
Raleigh Super Burner- 1987

[Jun 01, 1999]
Ben MacHardie
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Sprighty, lightweight ride. Durability, comfort and a certain rigid raw charm.

Harsh arse saddle.

Brilliant value for money and an excellent upgrade platform.

[Feb 28, 1999]
Michael Young
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I don't know how Orange do it. Last year's Clockwork was an excellent riding and value for money steel framed bike costing £500. This year the drivetrain is now 24 speed, the frame and fork use better tubes and are lighter, the overall spec is better, it feels even better to ride AND it now costs £450! Last years frame alone retailed at £295 - you do the sums and you'll see what I mean when I say that this bike is incredable value for money - and yes you've guessed it - I've got one!

[Sep 27, 2002]
Martin Bonser

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame, infinately upgradeable. Great wheels & brakes for initial outlay.

Crankset is getting a tad knackered now, but I cant complain as Ive had the bike 4 years and only paid £450 for it with RST 461's

A boster of a bike.

Pitty Orange dont still make 'em. Ill never get rid of mine. I may retire it and get a full susser as a second bike, but my Clockwork will stay with me.

THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST.

Nothing. First MTB

[May 28, 2002]
Jeff Hancox

OVERALL
Strength:

Bought my Clockwork from my mate in 1993, still going strong inspite of the frame and skewers being the only components left. Replaced it several years ago with a Gringo, but it says it all when I admit I'm just back from a Mountain Bike holiday were I took the Clockwork...again! Reckon it's done approx 80000 km........gets used as my training and touring bike.

There's no paint left after 11 years on the trails, but when it dies from terminal rust I'll buy a P7!

Still my favourite bike no matter how much mony I throw at other machines. I'll be declaring a period of national mourning when it expires.

Orange Gringo

[Aug 10, 2004]
Sally

OVERALL
Strength:

Just seems to go on forever.

None.

OK.........bit of an olden, hit 50 and decided i wanted to ride a bike cos of a dodgy back. Almost 4 years later and 4000 miles, just wish I had got a bike years ago.

Love my Clockwork, will not change it for anything else.

Use it 3 days out of 5 to go to work and whenever possible like to go off road at weekends.

Just envious of all the guys that can do all the brilliant tricks and go bombing downhill.....I just aint that brave!

n/a

[Mar 20, 2005]
Amir

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought it as a frameset in 1990 in a small backalley shop in Leeds called Stif. It has been on many tours, I reckon it has done more than 100,000 kms. It is a good touring bike. It has its share of off road adventures too. As a testimony to its durability I still ride it today on or off road when I feel like going retro and full rigid. I've had the original two tone white and orange colour scheme and decals restored by an airbrush artist.

After 15 years? None. Within the same period of time the Orange has outlived a Saracen Tufftrax, a Trek 7000, a crappy Schwinn full sus and a Giant NRS. My "modern" bike is a Santa Cruz Heckler.

It was a bike which saw me through college, various bike tours and off road jaunts all these years and yet still is perfectly serviceable to this day. It is rare to find a steel bike these days, even rarer to find them with thumbies and rigid fork. When this second coat of paint has worn off, I'll have her repainted again. The only thing that will probably outlast her is the Brooks saddle on her. Thanks Orange!

Quite a few.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.