Next Ultra Terrain Shock Bike 1998 or Older

Next Ultra Terrain Shock

[Jul 03, 2013]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Has lasted almost 18 years. Got it to hit the rails to trails near my house when my son was born. Rode him around in a Cookie Monster bike seat! My wife has the girls version, it's in almost new condition. My son now rides my bike on the trail. Excellent brakes, tires, hand shifters.

Its heavy, front suspension is clunky. It has always been like that, but hasn't gotten worse over the years. Has lasted 18 years! I want a new one, but this won't die! Still works 100%. Paint/plating is flaking off, but it's old and out lasted two Ford trucks, and it's working on a Chevy!!!!

Glad I bought it. It has provided hours of fun and has kept me in fair shape. It has never left me down, never. My wife's bike is in near mint condition and it does make it out to the trail. I just ride mine harder, but the kids tend to ride it much harder than me.

Specialized

[Apr 22, 2011]
Yu Donneedtaknow

OVERALL
Strength:

Styling, center pull brakes, twist grip shift, upright seating position, not hunched over. This one came with Shimano components.

weighs every bit of 35 pounds. front suspension is "soft".

Hipster fixie loving gearheads wouldn't give this bike a second look. A good bike for commuting. Completely unpretentious. Has features found on more expensive bikes but the "Next" label keeps thieves away. Soft suspension is good on sidewalks and streets but a liability on the dirt. Heavy, but solid feeling. Overall, a good value that will suit 90% of the riders out there and it can be left unattended with a cheapo bike lock while there is a Krypton lock and a front tire where your neighbor's Cannondale used to be.

Huffies, Schwins, Diamondbacks

[Jan 24, 2011]
mobado

OVERALL
Strength:

steel frame and components.the frame and components are rusted but still work,mechanically sound condition.good for workout.

heavy 35 lb. unacessarized.

'It was free' i have many spare parts and I'm a mechanic, I put many bikes back to work that were thrown out, High and low end bikes

kent,huffy,giant,ironhorse,gt,specialized,fuji,trek,univega.

[May 14, 2010]
bb king

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice downsized brake calipers, decent rubber

everything else, including what some think are hot uptown graphics

I scored this one from some damn fool's Friday garbage pick up pile (maybe I'm too harsh), leaned against the can, it was dragged there by someone who had backed over it getting into his (or her) garage, bent a lot of it, figured (rightly) that it was a piece of crap that they had bought to make some kid (or the kid in them) happy (who probably never rode it)and to make a long one short, decided to cut their losses and bail out.
I needed more, um, muscular tires for a 2 wheel (is there any other?) Garden Way cart, something to haul fertilizer and mulch around the garden and hump out to the street can about 12# of dead woodchuck that I shot(with an original Browning(made in Belgium).22 semi-auto rifle, Leopold 10-30x scope, just before sunset on a Dewar's scotch / Yueng Ling lager back buzz ( and with extreme prejudice), thinking of my future beet and lettuce crop...You'd have done the same. Too bad 'chuck stinks up the kitchen something fierce...don't go there, recyceing has its limits.

I MIGHT put the mini brake calipers from those dandy alu bars on my hard hat with Gorilla Glue to wear to work at the golf course and put the rest of that misbegotten, so-called Mountain Bike (they wish)in the dumpster at work this Monday, oh-Dark hundred if my darling wife can't figure out a way to incorporate what is left into a lawn ornament.
I'm a roadie!!! I own two Cannondales: one commute, the other tour. I ride to work!!!
Any Questions?

not me, but the Queen has a nice TREK

[Jul 06, 2002]
Casey

OVERALL
Strength:

strong frame, solid brake feel

cheap internals, difficult to adjust derailer, tires do not track or grip on trails,

I'm a begginer trail rider and didn't want to invest too much money in a hobby that I might soon dump. I paid $125 for a hardtail Next Revolution at Wal-Mart to get started. The bike is not made to ride on the street because the soft tires and softer suspension absorb a lot of peddle energy. I nearly killed myself learning to trail ride because the stock tires would not grip over roots. The bike tracks better after I upgraded the tires, but the rear still slides out from under me in tight spots. I am hooked on trail riding and have probably gotten $125 of enjoyment in the past three months. The gears are now slipping and popping so I'm going to take it back to Wal-Mart today. I want a bike that will meet my needs as my skills develop. The Next Revolution is best suited for someone who is going to lose interest in cycling after riding around the block a few times.

[Feb 05, 2007]
Ryan Nock
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

It lasted about 18 minutes at rays mountain bike park

i broke everything but the frame. The only reason the frame didn't brake is because everthing else broke first.

If you like being laughed at i say jump in your car and make a trip to the nearest walmart. This thing went out in flames (literally)

trek liquid,jekyll,gemini

[Mar 12, 2002]
Aaron

OVERALL
Strength:

where?

everything

This is for my brother-in-law's Next bike. It sucks. It is ridden only on road and within a few months, the rear hub internals just broke. Walmart put a new wheel on it for free, but it sucks just as much. They bearings keep going out of adjustment just like the original hub had done. Im expecting this hub to break within a couple months. The front shock also bites. When it was new, it had very soft travel which bottomed out rolling slowly over a speed bump. Now after sitting outside in the weather, the elastomer springs have hardened up and now its like a funky rigid fork. Finally, the drivetrain sucks as well. The deraillers just wont adjust properly. Its a piece of crap bike and no worthy of the effort it takes to pedal that 50 lb. piece of horse hocky. I would give it 5 flaming turds for value and overall rating because it is certainly a flaming piece of crap multiplied five times over, but that would raise the rating so I wont do that.

other walmart crap, Diamondback and Raleigh

[Feb 08, 2002]
Guy

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame, smooth ride with the full suspension, adequate components

To heavy (it's hard to lift even with both hands), VERY soft suspension (the fork dives easily all the way down).

You may like it if all you do is easy trail riding.
Don't take it if you're going to use it on road (the weight + the soft suspension absorbs all you peddaling energy), or if you're going to do harder trail rides (it's weight makes it hard to control, and difficult on steep slopes).
After all, you get what you pay for...

[Feb 16, 2003]
Fredrick

Strength:

Everything the seat fell off and i almost killed myself when i rode off the curb and got hit by big pa's 18 wheeler, i was only in the hospital for 14 weeks and when i got back i tackled it again

buy this bike if you want to get into the extreme sport of freeriding. this bike will hold hits of 9 ft. who knows if you practice on this racer you could be the next wade Simmons

vertical lightning streak, mongoose hoop-d, mongoose predator, murray mt. peak

[Jul 06, 2006]
Red Ranger

OVERALL
Strength:

Very attractive bike, looks expensive and futuristic.

Heavy, 50 pound bohemouth, very slow to ride on the sidewalk or paved roads. Worthless bicycle seat.

Very disappointing bike. I wanted a commuter bike to ride from point A to B that would look cool. This one looks cool alright but its all show, the performance stinks. I agree with the other reviewers that say this bike is SLOW when riding on paved roads. And if you tried to take it on a trail be prepared to carry the 50 pound monster back because it will fall apart before you finish the first lap. You will need to buy another seat as this one starts hurting after 5 minutes of riding. I have sat on broken beer bottles that provided more comfort than the stock seat this bike comes with.

After leaving this in the rain it rusted out completely and was not worth the $50 repair it would take to restore it. SO I dropped it off in the ghetto and hopefully some derelict will fix it up and use it.

Advise: If you are just starting out buy a used bike from craig's list or eBay of you local garagesale or bike repair shop. After this I bought a used Schwinn Frontier GS for $85 and it rocks! Stay away from department store garbage.

If you buy used bike and then sell it you will lose maybe $20 maximum from price you apid originally whereas with department store crap be prepared to sell it for $15 or $20 total and you lose alot of money.

Schwinn Frontier GS