Mongoose Sycamore Bike 1998 or Older

Sycamore

[Jun 12, 2015]
Elise

OVERALL
Strength:

Always loved riding this bike! Have to sell it now - any idea how much I should ask for?

I changed the seat for a more comfortable one.

Great all around bike. How much should I sell it for??

[Aug 09, 2013]
Rich

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame and durable gearset

uncomfortable seat.

I'm a bigger guy (300+) and I rode this bike for 5 years almost every day after I got it in 97 or 98. It sat in storage for the next 7. I took it out a few weeks ago, gave it a bath. Lubed up all the moving parts and replaced the tubes and I have a perfect working bike. Talk about Buy It For Life!

[Jun 02, 2012]
James C. Oden

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip Shift Gears, easy to change up and down 1-21. Hard tail and fork. Accessories easily added to stock components, interchangable tires for various terrains and surfaces. Quick release front and rear tires, including seat. Easy assembly and disassembly when cleaning or grease and oiling with lubricants.

Seat a little larger than other mountain bikes in category. Brake wires frayed at end caps too easily when tightening or adjusting.

I had purchased a Mongoose Sycamore on tour and rode through tundra areas, and on volcanic trails, on Mt, Esja, Mt. Keylir, two notoriously harsh surfaced volcanic areas, and surfaces varied from soft loam grass, to ashe pumice muds, and dusty trails, where a hard fork and tail components make handling more easily responsive without dampers from shocks, on rear or front.

Pumice although a regular nuisance, was easily removable aided by the standardized sizes of bolts nuts, and screws, in the metric sizes in a minute variance. Small tool kits only required for disassembly instead of multiple tools, and wrenches.

Light and easily manuverale in muddy wet downgrades. Brakes stood up even on steep slopes without slipping or bending for long distances. Hard forked characteristics with grip shifts, incurred minimal damages in ditching in my field areas of use .

[Jun 11, 2011]
Istas

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability. This bike was built well and it shows. I can't speak for newer models, but this is over 10 years old and still going strong, with only the occasional tune-up necessary. Still shifts great. I think it performs better than one has a right to expect from a 10+ year old bike that hasn't been pampered. The few places where the paint has scratched to the point of rusting, the rust seems to refuse to spread. Even the big knobby tires that came with it lasted a long time.

The nice low gearing (24/34/42 if I recall) is great for climbing hills, whether they're steep or you're just pacing yourself. Yet the cassette still goes down to 11 teeth, so you can get decent speed on level roads or downhill. It's not a racing bike though; it's heavy and durable, with a sturdy steel frame. It has withstood fairly brisk descents on rough dirt mountain roads, and I prefer the lack of shocks for its predictability and efficiency.

I have had the bottom bracket bearings replaced, and the cheap plastic pedals that come with it stock are not very good (but I can understand that when enthusiasts in this market will have their own pedals they want to use).

The seat is fairly comfortable as far as bike seats go (though I still want a Brooks), and also has lasted quite a long time, only failing when I pierced it with a rock in a parking lot when turning the bike upside down. The attachment bolt for the seat is prone to breaking, in my experience, when the seat is at its rearmost position. (I weigh 215 pounds, for reference) I also dislike the "one bolt for all" seat adjustment scheme, but that seems popular on many bikes now.

It's a bit heavy.

This is an excellently durable bike that has served me well even though it's too small for me. Over ten years of service, to my knowledge still with the original derailers, shifters, brake levers, rims, cassette and crankset. It's a mountain bike, but I've turned it into a road tourer and it works just as well. If you can buy one used that hasn't been abused, I think it'd be a good choice.

[Sep 21, 2005]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliability

Crappy stock plastic pedals, poor index shifting.

I bought this bike in 1987 and its still going strong. Road Moab in the 80's, idle for a chunk of the 90's but it has put a lot street miles in the last few years.

[Jan 11, 2002]
RT

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is light and agile on the trails. It climbs hills very easily. The best way to describe it is nimble.

None that I have found so far.

I only paid 10 bucks for the bike. It was stored in an impound lot for about a year enduring the weather. It only needed some oil and air in the tires, and a new saddle to get it going. I prefer riding it than my full suspension on difficult trails.

[Dec 25, 2000]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

very light and rigid frame,good components(alivio hubs,sun rims),brakes are very easy to squeeze and smooth(the frame was designed to allow the cables to run on the top tube without the cable covers, thus minimizing friction.)

The front gears are thin and bend a little over time. The screws holding the front gears round off easily while trying to remove them. Pedals are plastic and don't provide good grip.

The Sycamore is an excellent value for the money. The cro-moly frame, aluminum Sun wheels, and the Alivio hubs make the bike light enough to accelarate fast and climb very high hills easily. Lightness also makes it nimble and easy to handle. Yet, the whole bike is TOUGH. A 250 pound person can ride it. The Sun rims are aluminum, but are hard to bend. I'm 190 lbs.and while riding very fast I accidentally ran the rear wheel over a deep pot hole while sitting on the seat. I thought after such an impact, the wheel would have been bent. The wheel was fine, just the tire bent a little. This means the spokes, and tires are good quality (tires absorbed all the shock). Sycamore is great at the factors that are the most important, but is weak at fine details. You need to replace the plastic pedals, which shouldn't cost alot to replace. Sycamore is a great bike for being able to ride in trails without paying too much. Remember, it is just an entry level model from Mongoose, and you shouldn't expect it to be perfect at every factor. The bottom line is that Sycamore is better than other companies' entry level bikes at the same price range. Where Sycamore excels from the others is mainly in lightness, and quality of the frame. Having Alivio components at this price is also great.

Python,Bianchi,Specialized

[Sep 12, 2000]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, versatility, indestructability

rigid fork, canti brakes, grip shifters

I rode this bike for 5 years and put it through all sorts of tortures from serious, hard-riding, downhill to outside storage and endless Michigan-winter miles as a college ride.

The thing's still going strong. Wouldn't recommend it for any serious trails but if you put a lot of miles on and hit the dirt once in a while, this bike won't let you down.

We only part now since I'm really only doing the trail stuff now and have upgraded to a full suspension with better shifting and breaking.

Five chilis since it meets or beats any competition in it's price range (you've gotta be fair).

[Nov 29, 2000]
jim

OVERALL
Strength:

light,rugged,durable

rigid fork

takes a beating on the most rocky downhills, leaving other more expensive bikes trailing parts behind them. Easy to accessorize for camping, riding on errands. Goes for a long time between tuneups. Hard on the butt, although a good seat solves some of that. Too bad Mongoose doesn't make em like this any more. Anyone just starting out should try to find one of these at the local pawn shop, untill ready to upgrade to suspension bikes.

specialized, daimondback, huffy

[Apr 16, 1998]
Bruce D. Johnson
weekend warrior

OVERALL

Now I know that this isn't a serious bike, but I had to share my enthusiasm for it. I'm a large guy. We're talking 64, 230 lbs, and this bike has held up beautifully (40-60 miles per week). It's been to Tsali, Cape Cod, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Hard Rock in Ocala, and has emerged victorious at the olympic course in Conyers, GA on multiple occasions. My serious bike cohorts can't help but be impressed by the resilience of my Mongoose. And unless I win the lottery soon so I can make frivolous bike purchases, we will be hitting Moab together this summer.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.