Mongoose Alta Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Alta SX

[Apr 30, 2018]
BonsaiMTB

OVERALL
Strength:

My Story is too long to tell everything, but here's the abbreviated version. Just bought a small Alta with a cracked head tube I'll have Welded and heat treated. Had a few people look at me slightly crooked thinking why would you buy a severaly out dated and damaged Bike ready for the scrap pile? Well the Alta is such a memorable Bike because it is the same Bike my x-wife rode with me while we traveled the Eastern sea board. Tsali, Pisgha, Conyers, Fountainhead, Snow Shoe and Acadia is the short list of some of the memorable rides. Funny thing about the purchase is the Alta was headed for the LBS dumpster when I salvaged her. Hoping my X sees one day that the time we shared together by the common love of MTBiking really meant a lot to me 🙂

Cracked Head Tube

1995
[Apr 05, 2017]
joel fortino

OVERALL
Strength:

I purchased my 1986 Mongoose alta 18 spd. all terrain bike with ovaltech gears,which made it the the most bad ass ride .I was able to ride on dry beach sand sitting down and not break a sweat,was also told by cops to slow down because i was going faster than 40 m.p.h..

none i was able find.

I found myself morbidly obese andsmoking at lest two packs of cigarettes daily,fast food,junk food,and lots of beer (as a lad in west germany I enjoyed copious amounts of BEER).I purchased the aforesaid bike as both a tool and a reward to myself /tool to do the job.I ceased Smoking ,Drinking ,eating wrong ,started dieting ,riding the bike and swimming in the pool.Nine days into my program i picked the bike up from its first tuneup after riding @100-115 miles,right off the bike store floor,and i was @350 lbs. at 5'8"anyways doing @30-35 my hat blew off and i turned a20' -25' circle and at 130 degrees ,and my usual hard braking with both brakes,front locked rotated to 90 to the rest of the frame.I went up and over and somewhere around 125 -140 degrees i came loose from the bars,upon standing I noticed my left arms was 4 inches shorter,because my knuckles and wrist now occupied the same spot.,after 3 mos. in a cast,,shoulder to wrist hand inverted,I got back on bike and 7 mos.later a solid 200 lbs in excellent health,stillown bike.The wrist was worth it,never made that error riding again,and i was doingg 60 to an easy 110 miles and an hour or two in pool.cannot give it enough thumbs up!.

none,needed

[Mar 06, 2011]
duelster

OVERALL
Strength:

Duribility
weight
stability

I havn't found any

I bought this bike in 1997 from Performance and still ride it to the day. I give it a good pounding everytime I take it out and have never been stranded or had a single issue with the bike. Although it is far from stock (rims and frame are all thats original), it is as tough as they come.

[Sep 30, 2006]
Mr Les Wolgamuth

OVERALL
Strength:

I have been riding this bike for 10 years now and still going strong.Needed to weld the front fork tube due to a little to much mountain riding down hill and hit a boulder and go head over hill. No wonder it broke, and yes it hurt! Other than that,2 tubes and 2 tires 4 sets of brakes.1 chain. best 150.00 I ever spent and it is a sx just tune ups every year and cleaning of the bearings and chain, still have the original cables.Original Mongoose Rocks, Murry bought them out. So hang on to your Goose's You cannot buy them no more!

None with mine.Wish it would have a rear shock,but o well cannot have everythig

I have allways been hard on bikes, and with this one you push it to far it will break. But now with moderate to light extreme riding when needed it is the best bike that I have had. Now with the arrival of disc brakes makes my eyes wonder, But they will figure a way to convert the old brake sytems to the new ones.

[Jan 11, 2002]
dave hindley

OVERALL
Strength:

well this is the first bike I had for a year and I havent snapped te frame yet every other brand I have especally dimondback.

Ive had a lot of fun with this bike it is the only bike to hold up to what I do on and of road. On road I grind jump bunnyhop over benches, garbage cans and fire hydrents. When I am offroad my friends built about 20 jumps and none of them are smaller then 5feet high and there workin on one now that is about 9-10 feet and a 45 foot ga. I know that I will hit it fiest because I am the only one that is crazy enough to without seein if it is even possible but most of the time it is. this mongoose is the best and strongest bike I have ever owned.

shwinn powerglide, dimondback, harro, specialized fat boy

[Jul 20, 1999]
chris kerry

OVERALL
Strength:

a fast and fun bike that can be used for trails

how the paintwork can be damaged so easily

mongoose bikes are ultimatley the best in mountain bikes

mongoose supergoose bmx

[Mar 20, 1998]
Ed Buchan

OVERALL

I got my 96 goose for $370 at the beginning of 97. First off, my dealer upgraded a lot of the components (like Sugino crank, Deore brakes-although still not good) But, I found the stock tires suck in pretty much everything and the GripShift 400 is crap and the brakes sucked until I put on Ritchey pads. I went through a rear cassette, BB, 2 chains, front chainrings, rear wheel (tacoed), & a seat in no time. Now, with the Ritchey pads the thing stops in a real freakin hurry-but V-brakes are still on the way and I also got a Panaracer Smoke rear tire which makes the bike climb like a demon. Also got a Judy XC shock which has been great and upgraded rear cassette & chainrings but the STX derailure still is mediocre at best. Needs rapid fire shifters, V-brakes, & clipless pedals (and maybe a XT derailure) and the bike will be perfect. By the way, unless you can afford real high grade aluminum cassettes & chainrings (e.g. White Bros.) go with steel even though it is heavier, it will last a hell of lot longer than the cheap (albeit lighter) low grade aluminum stuff. For $370, the bike is a great deal considering it has an outstanding frame, but like any bike under $500, it needs significant upgrades as the rider's skill increases. When I am done upgrading (if there is such a thing) I'll probably have spent close to $1,000. But for a beginner, who doesn't want to drop $1,000 on their first bike-instead choosing to get a good frame and try the sport out for a while and make modest investments as needed, the goose rules! Also in my last race, the bike performed great (until the brakes got wet), but I can't say the same for more cardio-vascular system....(ps:No one in their right mind should pay $700 for this bike with stock components)

[Mar 21, 1998]
greg may

OVERALL

all you who say that mongoose sucks are idiots that need to get a life. I am talking from years of experience and know facts so stop giving mongoose a hard time I would like to know what all you people who say that mongoose suck what you ride odds are you pedal a huffy

[Jan 07, 1997]
Duma

OVERALL

I just recently picked up a polished aluminum Alta SX with a Quad 21r front shock and I am really happy with it so far. I was initially drawn to it because of its looks, and for the money you can't beat it with a rubber chicken! It is a super-sturdy looking frame with better than average components. This is the kind of frame you can build around. I recommend upgrading the tires and pedals right away. If you are an average rider looking to step up to the next level, then this bike is worth looking into. I plan on upgrading components to this excellent frame and riding my goose for years to come.

[Jan 09, 1997]
Carlos F. Pardo
racer

OVERALL

Cool bike, cool colors , nice handling because of its short top tube,
and a fair price. Also, I think it's light.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.