Kona '95 Sex One Bike 1998 or Older

Kona '95 Sex One

[May 15, 2019]
Delli37

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolute beauty- just look at that paint job!!!!

Everybody wants it!!

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1995
[Mar 08, 2013]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Rides great. Looks great.

I am happy to own a 1995 Kona Sex One . I bought it because i thought that it would be fun to ride on trails ,and roads as well. I came across the bike on Ebay.I loved what i saw. It had a different look about it , than other mountain bikes i had seen before. The fact that it was built in the fairly early days of full suspension,gives it a slightly unique shape. The tubes are a rounded pipe 7005 aluminum , which just appears so much different than the shaped tubes that came out a bit later. The rear shock is pivoted and nearly parallel to the top tube . It connects to the Cromoly rear triangle. The bike is nicely crafted .The Ebay seller had replaced all the components with Shimano.He also replaced the chain rings. It has a newer handlebar too. If you come across one that is in good shape and not too expensive:get it. It will last forever if properly taken care of ,and it will be a good looking friend to you indefinately.

[Nov 12, 2011]
Xjaddiction

OVERALL
Strength:

I've been riding this bike for 17 yrs. I've rebuilt it once. Ready to do it again, but it still rides so good. Killer frame design, just enough suspension for decent drops. Climbs well, and the sweet spot rush of a straight ST. The bike will just scream when I hang just of the back of saddle un weighting the front on a straight. The rear wheel digs in and... well its just an awesome experience. My friends with the newer style multi pivot FS bikes are left in the dust when the Kona gets in the zone like that.

Marzochii shocks. They are long gone now for a rear rock shock coilover, and a front Manitou.

For the serious weekend XC rider, there isn't a bike out there that compares, I think. Bullet Proof, stable in the twisties, and tight tree trails. great fast down hiller, and excellent climber.And that sweet spot on a tree lined straight. The bike is just rediculous. I will always LOVE it!

Trek, Specialized, Jamis (much like the Kona), Cannondale.

[Jul 09, 2010]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a follow up on my "Eric Shew" review of the Kona Sex One..1996 4-bar rear suspension. This bike is STILL going strong, I have successfully replaced every part on the bike aside from the gripshift shifters and front derailuer due to use and this bike still RIPS! I'm running a 4" travel marzocchi with a newer Fox Float R. Just put on a set of LX cranks hollow tech II cranks and a HAyes disc up front... this bike still has ALOT of life left in it.

None aside from the original rear shock and curve brakes...and other stuff that you might want to replace.

This bike has been going strong for 14 years thus far, havent thrown alot of money into it, just a bit every other year or two or three, dont worry about the latest frame, material, technology, & hype, just take time and figure out how to fit a bike to your needs and then dont replace it till you can break it.... you'll have alot of really good bikes for your friends to ride plus they dont take up that much space in the garage.

After my first review I gave up on trying to brake the frame and now have a Kona Bear & Stinky Primo as well as this little bike

[Jun 19, 2003]
Chris K.

OVERALL
Strength:

Brakes, not to heavy. Smooth for how much travel the whole thing has.

Creaking noise in the crank, Shimano chain sucks, Rear Marzocchi shock sucks, Judy shock just had overhaul but still pretty crappy.

Good entry level bike. My first full suspension, chain has broken 3 times. I fell into a hole and the derailer broke apart and the alivio crank is heavy. If you find it cheap buy but if not save your money for something better. 4 Chili's for the price; pretty good.

Kona Roast, Stinky, Cannondale F800, Specialized Big Hit only rode for a few hours though. Friends bikes.

[Jun 17, 2000]
Adam

OVERALL
Strength:

4 bar linkage, relative light weight, plush (for 2.5 in travel), cost, isolates pedaling forces pretty well (not to much bobing)

Plain bearing bushings, Preload only adjust rear shock, short travel, some dated aspects of design such as short top uube by year 2000 standards

The Sex One has been great. I ride about 40 off road miles per week and haven't had problems with it at all. I paid $125 for the frame that had never been built up. I sawed the funky rear cantaliver break thing off and toutched it up. Built up with my 99 group it weighs around 27 lbs. Not to bad considering I could probably get it down to 25 lbs. if I built it up like Gary Fischers 2.5 inch travel Suger 1, with XTR. I dont think that there are a hell of a lot of diffrences in 4 bar linkages. It clibs better than my last riged bike as it trackes better and there is less wheel slip on bumpy rocky root covered New England trails.

A good rider on a mediocer bike will still kick ass on a mediocer rider on a good bike. Ride more, worry less. Investin your legs, lungs and skills.

Trek 9000, Gary Fischer Hoo Koo, road bikes

[Nov 28, 1999]
Jacques

OVERALL
Strength:

Not found.
It brakes

There is nothing else than weaknesses.
NO KONA WARRANTY

I have enjoy a lot the SEX One. Just the time to broke it. 6 mounths to change the chity rear shock and the 3 sets of articulation ( 200$ ) and 2 years and 6 mounth to brake it. between the top tube and the head tube near the joint. No problem I have a 5 year WARRANTY but KONA just forget it: If it hasn't brake on the joint is not a KONA default but a normal time failure.
KOna SPAIN are thiefts and so KONA MONACO with Mr JIMBO. There is no way to have the warranty. So I had to dinounce it to a judge... I may wait 2 years but will be refound.

I'm lucky, just mine

[Apr 10, 2002]
Eric Shew

OVERALL
Strength:

Takes drops fairly well for such little rear travel.
The frame hasn't broken yet.

Curve products suck
Stem was too short
Did I mention all Curve products suck?
Destroyed my rear rim 4 days ago.

I've had this bike for a LONG time. I've replaced many things but the frame still seems strong. With a 4" for in the front and a set of decent brakes and rims you can thrash on it hard. I am enjoying this bike more then ever. I can't wait to bust this frame so I can get another KONA!

Had a GT Richtor 8.0

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.