Kona 1998 Lava Dome Bike 1998 or Older

kona 1998 Lava Dome

[Jul 03, 2009]
GottaGo

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame. Very nimble.

Kona doesn't carry the paint any more so I can't restore the bike to new.

Compared to my Trek (that was a load and a half) the Lava Dome has been a riding revalation. I've totally scored. The bike is everything others have said. The steel frame is excellent. The geometry is very comfortable - and the overall ride is so responsive, its great!

If you are in the hunt for a steel hardtail and you come across one of these bad boys, grab it.

Trek 6000.

[Apr 11, 1999]
Shawn
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

value for the money

suspension fork

It is a good bike and it gives you your moneys worth

fire mountain

[Nov 19, 1999]
Zack Tolle
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

The name at first glance sent a masculine pulse through me..I saw it through the window and had to have it.My girl Troll girl likes it too

Not catwalk Friendly..
The seat leaves me swollen and inflamed.

Look people I have invested over $5000 in upgrades And I would hope that I liked it by now... In which I do .. If you want my advice dont sit on the seat post with out a saddle ... I have tried this and it is not cool. I ride all day all night and can't get enough of my bike ..
I will have it paid off within 5 years

Free Spirit
OCTANE..
huffy bmx
next bmx proformer xlt

[Aug 30, 1999]
dilman

OVERALL
Strength:

stromg frame
good breaking
good paint job (Green)
gear works well fast shifting

limited fork travel

I think this bike is great there is only minor things that could be improved on.

99 kona Blast

[Apr 29, 2002]
francois

OVERALL
Strength:

body geometry...keeps your weight well back for the downhills. Can't beat the cool green colour.

haven't come accross any yet.

I am really enjoying this bike. Yes, it's my first with a shock (besides riding my wife's cannondale), but it feels just right and very manageable on all sorts of terrain. Like it's chromoly frame...feels less harsh than my wife's aluminium frame, and actually feels a little lighter. Tires took a little getting used to, but I think that was 'cuz I was also getting used to using the V-breaks (again, a first for me). Overall, I think this was a great buy for the money. If you come accross a used one that's not been beat on too much, you're gonna get a great bike for under $500...and that beats paying a G for a new bike anyday!

my wife's '95 cannondale f-200
my old '94 univega alpina 550
my friend's wife's '94 raleigh she bought in Mexico

[Dec 16, 2007]
chris

OVERALL
Strength:

handling, durability, snappy acceleration, comfort

no disk brake tab

Lavadome is my main "All Mountain, " XC ride, and race bike. Nearly ten years, has seen all of its components replaced at least once. I love this bike. I've bent or broken two alum. seats posts and two titanium seatposts. Now I've got Thompson Elite, but I miss having the cushy titanium feel so soon I'll have a Moots 19mm Layedback titanum seatpost next year. My go wider on the titanum handle bar, also.

Motobecane Fly Team, Kona Kikapu.

[Nov 27, 2007]
Avery

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame and Fork!

Wheels, BB, Cranks, chain, headset and brake pads

There is nothing in the world with the poise, grace and feel of an old steel Kona. I bought it new back in the day and within three months I was burning up the Alps, way back in the 90's before suspension worked! I've ridden lots of other bikes and I even have two others that are supposed to be "better" but this frame just feels so good, even after so much abuse it refuses to get baggy. It still gives me that feeling of invincibility, who needs suspension when you can fly over potholes, bunny-hop boulders and ride with your hands loose letting your body steer. The headset was absolute crud and the BB crumbled into dust (because of dust?) but the Curve brakes were exquisite (I stupidly got rid of) and the scratch and sniff tyres worked well enough for their time. IF YOU FIND A GOOD FRAME and it fits GET IT, It may not be so good with modern suspension fork length, but with a good carbon fork you could ride forever! AWSOME.

Titanium Raleigh, Rocky Mountain, lots of choss