Klein Pulse Bike 1998 or Older

Klein Pulse

[Jan 24, 2019]
winbru

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, mine (since 25 years) Reduced to the essentials. 1 1/8" for more choices of forks.

To short time of production.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1994
[May 30, 2017]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

So fast, on trails and on the road.
21 years old and going strong

Paint... Indy Fork.

The best bike will ever own. Approaching 50k miles (on original crankset...); 20miles per day, 5days/week for years. Now 'single' speed with chain tensioner, although I can change gears if I'm willing to get off and get my hands dirty. Kona P2 forks make it a great steed for high-speed commuting and the geometry carves up the London Traffic as easily as a forest trail.
London and Winsdor Olympic Distance Triathlons; Egmond Strandrace (on sand); London to Brighton;

[Jul 27, 2012]
TH
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength. Crash after crash this frame held up. Feels agile and light (with all components 24lbs). Came with Sram grip shifters thank God as I never got stuck into trigger shifters slowness.

Still have the original Judy forks, wish I could get more travel. Frame probably too small for me. Cables should have been routed under top tube.

15 years and love this bike still...but...looking at the 29er's

[May 02, 2012]
Fractured pixel

OVERALL
Strength:

great climber looks great (even beat up) i love pulling out of my car and having a guy on a 4k FS look at it and say "sweet bike man"

age.... my stock fork is a judy xc 63mm,,,, 8 speed... the components although mid to high end for 98 are probably as good as entry level at best. Mine has sram 9.0 esp derailleur and grip shifters (i never had a problem with my shifting until about 2 years ago and that's basically because they are worn out) old geo makes upgrading the front suspension difficult, it is designed around a 63 mm fork. i put a 90 mm Reeba on mine and it runs nice but any more and i think handling would be wonky. no rear disc break mount

I beat this bike up on local xc trails here in Nebraska from 99 to 2004. I took a 4 year break and then one day i dug it out of the garage slapped a new chain and some take off tires and beat it up some more. Now i have a FS bike but i just cant seem to let the old klien go. with updated components i would put this bike up against any current hardtail in the $800 to $1500 range.

[Sep 11, 2009]
dr_king

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff relyable frame

paint chips off easily

I purchased a 1997 KLEIN brand new in 1997 and rode it until I broke a component and replaced it with an upgraded one. By 1999 I had replaced the seat post with a Thompson, the drive train with xtr, the shifter/levers with xt, the wheel set with xtr hubs and Richey OCR rims, the seat with a lighter one, and the fork with a Judy xc. I rode it for another 5 years without many problems. In 2008 I replaced everything again. it now has a new xt drive train and shifters, Richey 4 axis stem, WTB Rocket V IRC seat, cain creek headset, lx hollowtech II crank and bb, Fox F100 RLC, Mavic 819 UST and xtr hubs. it is PRIMO these days. I absolutely love this bike. it climbs like a champion and is quick on downhills. This is the best hardtale I have ever ridden. It is the Trek built frame with the cable routing on the top tube instead of inside the tube. The paint is the only complaint. It is all chipped off and chips very easily. Some day I will powder coat the frame. But if you find one that you want to buy then by all means buy it you will not regret it. A side note. I put a 100mm fork on this bike instead of the stock 80mm and it rides even better.

yeti 575, specialized rock hopper, gary fisher

[Mar 14, 2006]
alex

OVERALL
Strength:

again one of the beat in her class and for that money i dont think iv ever found anything that comes close stiff ride feel lovly finish a klein at normal prices, just go's to show old klines are still the rolls royce of mtb'ing

crap paint it peels off in big lumps

well done gary

again most due to job

[Jan 15, 2004]
Rick

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightest frame Klein ever made

Way easy to dent

This is the team racing frame that Rishi Greiwal rode. Lightest Klein frame (only) ever made. First frame Gary designed for f-suspension. Just before Trek bought them. All internal cable routing. With TI bolts and stuff, this bike is silly light! Climbs like its got a motor, handles singletrack like its got a brain. I cry every time I crash and it gets a dent. Every time I go for a ride and run into others, they just drool at it's weight. I hope I never kill it! And if I do, I hope Klein can bring it back to life. They just don't make em like this anymore! Can I give it 10 chilis?

Klein Rascal, Attitude, Pinacle, Specialized Stumpjumper

[Dec 17, 2006]
Ras Benek

OVERALL
Strength:

Light frame, great components, gift of a price it seems!

Yet to discover any

Would you buy this if you could get it for £75 GBP?

Shopped around all the manufacturers for new machines. Decided to buy used - better quality, better price.

[Jan 05, 2000]
Gus

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks beautiful
Climbs beautiful
Wonderfully stiff
Light
Manouverable
nothing like it at the money

Afraid I might break it, haven't managed that yet even though I try my best
Too stiff on fast downhills, but that's what you get with a good hardtail

If you're looking for a bike and see one second-hand, in one piece and still the right shape, buy it!!!

A couple of Treks in the same price range when I was buying it

[Dec 08, 2000]
Peer

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light and still stiff frame. It is the old pulse from 95 with the brass emblem. It still performs perferkt after 6 years off hard driving. Impressive climbing capabilities and fast acceleration. The painting seems to last forever.

Easy to bulge since very oversized tubing. The anti-chainsuck do not work as ment to. The rare bottom bracket design.

This is the fastest bike i have ever raced. It just seems faster than anything else.

I have climbed hills with this bike that none of my friends could do.

Finally the bike looks awesome (Green metallic) and draws attention everywhere.

Scott, Cannondale

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.