K2 Bike 5500c Bike 1998 or Older

K2 5500c

[Mar 08, 2002]
Steve Vesco

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Very, Very Stong. You can't break this bike.

Nothing major on the bike frame. Blew out the front Noleen shock twice on the Cross-link. I weigh 230 lbs. My shop took care of me and put a stronger spring in it. No problems since.

A great bike that takes a beating and comes back for more. Takes bumps and drop offs with ease. I wouldn't know if I ever broke this frame, because I'd be in intensive care or dead.

Specialized Rock Hopper

[Dec 19, 2001]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Sweet frame, fantastic fork, cool & unique looks.

After two and a half years I still ride it. That should tell you a lot--it lasts a long time, it's still worth riding a lot, the technology on it is still unparalleled even by lefties and other linkages.

Too bad K2 no longer makes this or the OZ frame, nor the linkage fork anymore.

[Sep 27, 2001]
Rick Huber

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic frame, tough wheels, great for climbing and descending, smart shocks(for the most part)work well

smart shocks go through batteries at an unbelievable rate, front shock blew after only a few months of riding

This is a fantastic bike. The frame is as tough as they come. I have been riding hard x country for the past 6 months and this bike has taken a beating, from some awesome spills to rough rock strewn paths. It keeps coming back for more. I am a 220lb ex bodybuilder, so I am not on the light side either. I dont really do anything on the freeride side such as big drops, but we do take some ugly downhills that give the bike a work out. Everything holds up well. The frame though is extraordinary. It has seen its fair share of air time also from either me falling or me being angry and sending it on its way. No nicks or holes of any type to be found. With the set up it has, it follows single track like a rail train. Plus this bike gets its share of lookers. As far as weight, it comes in at a fairly light 26lbs. Could probably be made lighter, but I would have to spend some big bucks to do it. Plus at my weight, is it really going to help me, I doubt it. Everyone looks at this bike. My friends ride some top end stuff, but the 5500c gets the attention. Buy one if you can find one, you will not be sorry you did.

Trek 930

[May 19, 2000]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, Light, beautiful, durable

costly, clear coat

The only complaint I have is that the clear coat seems dull (even when I bought it new, but I didn't notice then) compared to some other carbon frames I've ridden by cannondale.

The geometry and handling of this bike surpasses most other exotic frames I've ridden. It's not too exotic but not too plain either. Just right.

The rear shock blew on a 5-foot drop I made last year, but K2 warrantied it through my dealer. And fast. I've heard of people having problems with speedy warranty--all bike producers have their complainers. None here yet. cross fingers.

Great bike all around.

Klein, GT, Trek. Many HT and FS bikes.

[Jan 06, 2000]
thesaint
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

carbon, no flex, light, best rear sus design

lx brakes

this thing is sweet. I got the 4500c. The only reason I can think of for K2 discontinuing this item is they are probably very expensive to produce. The 2000 aluminum models also use some very light Easton tubing which probably weighs similar to this carbon. Coming from a Stumpjumper steel hardtail, this bike has way more lateral stiffness. Grab the rear wheel and it won't budge. The Crosslink is also a very nice upgrade from my titanium FSX fork (2.8 lbs but a noodle). The new LX brakes work fine but are just plain ugly. I guess Stumpy will have to wear those now. All this biopacing and pogoing paranoi is very overrated. K2 originated the pivot point used by Santa Cruz, Aeon, and many others. It works well in all conditions and is strong as sin. The only thing I will be upgrading is the LX to an XT cassette to save weight. Everything else is perfect. God Bless 8 Speed.

stumpy prestige classic, fsr xc

[Dec 29, 1999]
William
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

carbon frame; smart shock; plush but good climber also

no longer in production

If you have an opportunity to get your hands on one of these carbon frame beauties - don't pass it up. I recently purchased a 4500 model for a song ($1,000) from cyclesport.com.The 4500 is the 5500 with XT-LX components and a NR-4 shock in the rear instead of the smart shock. Up front, it has the cross-link fork with smart shock.This is a fun, fun bike to ride. The ideal rider is any aggressive trail rider who likes to take epic rides without getting beat-up. This bike climbs great, and actually makes you look forward to the bumps.With some component-changes, my bike is down to about 25.5 lbs. The frame is extremely light - so further weight reduction is possible - especially if you went with a Risse or Stratus air-oil shock in the rear. Personally, I'll take the weight penalty in exchange for the plushness of the coil-over Noleens.Great job K2-Proflex! Sorry to hear the carbon frame models are history. Five piles of flaming fecal matter.....

Proflex 855

[Jun 27, 2001]
Scott Hoffine

OVERALL
Strength:

I love everything about this bike. The only upgrade I have made is LP Carbon bars.

After 2 years the frame has a slightly annoying creak. But still rides like a dream.

If they still made them, I would buy another one today.

Specialized FSR

[May 25, 2001]
Niles Harper

OVERALL

I can't add a whole lot more to what has already been said about this frameset. It's bloody fantastic. Too bad K2 has dumped carbon. They had a good thing going.

[Mar 06, 2001]
john

OVERALL
Strength:

Bike Rocks I raced my first year in Beginner Class XC and won the race series. Many people laughed at the bike and couldn't believe that I won on a such a "clunker". The bike held up well I replaced the Rock Shock on the front with a K2 Elite fork and man it really corners well. I've got an inexpensive Truvative crank set that works really well.

I thought I was having a problem with the front derailler post but it turned out I had the wrong crank set on the front (changed to Truvative) The bike takes a little tweaking on the rear derailler because of the Active Suspension but it's just a matter of adjustment. I haven't had any problem with the ELT front fork either.

Great Bike had problems with shifting intially only to find out I had mismatched Crank Set and rear sprocket. Very comfortable corners great, climbs great, descends like a full fledged DownHiller. Buy one if you can find.

[Jul 21, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price if You can find one. Paid $700 for the frame with some extra's. I've seen frames for $500. Light-Thermo Plastic Frame and Carbon Fiber swing arm. Climbs very well comes back down under control handles anything you can throw at it. Rear Smart Shock does work and works well there is a big difference with it turned on. The single pivot swing arm design works and it works well. NO SIDE TO SIDE SLOSH in the back. I can't say that for some of the multi-pivot bikes I've tried. Proflex and K2 were wise to keep that basic design. Take a look at any Motorcross bike why don't they have multiple pivot points ? I like the riding position has a long top tube distributes my weight well. Bike handles well on the Texas single tracks. I looked long and hard on the internet for the right bike. I'm convinced it's the best bike for the money. I can take it on any kind track and it kicks. I plan on racing it in the beginner class this fall.

The only thing I can really say but I'm not sure it's an issue with the bike is the shifting. I do occasionally get some ghost shifting. My local mechanic is adamant about the frame design causing the problem and was trying steer me toward Specialized.I'm not convinced I might try another mechanic.

Don't believe the hype about multiple pivot design. If you stand up and crank on them guess what ? They bob. Guess what else... they don't have the travel and those little pivots wear out and instead of replacing one you have to replace 4 or 5. I tried one of the most famous multi-pivot bikes (I won't mention brand)and it just seemed to have some side to side slosh. I've heard all the hoopla about losing power to the rear wheel and I will agree, you just don't get the power transfer that you do on an HT. However, I'll take the trade off for being able to stay in control over the Texas sized rocks. I must not be losing too much power to the rear because I'm going faster and faster. I'm no expert all I know is that I'm going fast over bumps and turns and up the hills. Best all around bike I've ever ridden. I got a give it 5 Chili Peppers for that.

Barracuda Av2, Proflex Animal