Jamis Diablo Bike 1998 or Older

Jamis Diablo

[Jun 18, 2011]
bikerjim

OVERALL
Strength:

very comfortable on street w/ Michelin City tires 1.85x26, strong, solid bike. Friend called and said neighbor was throwing away (in the garbage) a bicycle ... it is a dark purple 17.5," EXAGE components with 6 speed cassette; I'm guessing a mid 1980 model. I am a street rider and have three other bikes (all with rams horn handlebars) and this is my favorite street bike. It says I paid 0$ for it but with new bottom bracket, tires, chain, seat & post it hasn't been free but heck that is part of the fun of bicycling.

Pretty outdated with only 6 speed cassette; difficult to get replacement parts.

Great Bicycle ... makes me feel a kinship to other Jamis products.

[Jun 22, 2007]
Stephen

OVERALL
Strength:

Faux fillet brazed Tange ATB double butted tubing.
Stands up to daily commute use and the years very well.

Pedals suck.
Rear axle bends/breaks on 3+ foot drops/jumps.

This was my first mtn. bike. I still ride one just like it (my original Diablo is somewhere in Michigan and presumed out-of-service and in a swamp) almost every day on a 25 mile R/T commute. I paid $50 for my current Diablo. Love the way it fits and the feel of steel!

20 years of use is nothing for this bike, except the cheap VP pedals are only good for about 500 miles (one month).
Roll on El Diablo!

(I don't think the other posters are talking about the same Vintage Jamis Diablo as I am!)

Specialized Rockhoppers, Stumpjumpers, Etc.

[Nov 09, 2006]
Kent Peggram

OVERALL
Strength:

double-butted steel has nice flex on single-track, beast climber....tough bike, can take some slammin

make the sacrifice of a few lbs. double-butted steel nice if you ride single-track hard....and can't afford titanium

at 24 lbs.....no breakee.....old school,Jamis frame design is sweet and solid...plush on s.track

[Sep 06, 1999]
Stephen

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame

no particular weaknesses

This is probably the best all around bike I have ever ridden. It really kicks on the trails, especially the really fast downhill trails you thought you couldn't do without a full suspension bike. It rides better than any other bike I've ever ridden(and I've ridden many different kinds of bikes). Next time you buy a bike, go Jamis.

Cannondale
Schwinn
GT

[Jun 03, 1999]
Cooch
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid Frame Design

Fork
Some parts

Great Bike. I bought this bike mostly for the frame. This is one of the sweetest riding frames. This bike climbs like a beast. It gives you a lot of support and is really very solid. For cromoly it is also very light, about 26 lbs. I plan on upgrading all of the components on it and possibly doing some racing.

Canondale

[Jan 15, 1999]
pullermann
downhiller

OVERALL

68 88 888 88 8 88 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 888 8 8 8 8 88 8 88 8 888 88 8 88 88 8 8 8 88 88 8 8 8 8888

[Sep 05, 1998]
Joe
racer

OVERALL

The best bike ever owned. I have the 1996 Diablo LE and it is the bomb my bike weighs 25 lbs.Awesome, the bomb, awesome, the bomb!
Current Setup:Manitou SX
XTR rear der
Ritchey wcs handle bar
LX hubs Araya rims and stuff the best bike buy one now because if you do you will be happy.

[Jul 06, 1998]
Joe
weekend warrior

OVERALL

My Diablo is a few years old. I bought it after a two minute test ride. It was a perfect fit. It felt solid, but springy. I bought it from a small shop. It came with a rigid fork, but the shop gave me a Rock Shox Q21R at their cost, with installation thrown in. I don't weigh very much, and I really notice the light weight of the bike on climbs. It really sticks to the steep rocky slopes I usually ride. It came with a mix of XT/LX components and gripshift shifters. I do a lot of steep technical single track descents, and the LX brakes, once properly adjusted, are great. I can stop cold on descents I couldn't even walk down. I'm in my third season with the Diablo, and I don't feel any need to trade it in. Maybe just a few upgrades.

[Mar 06, 1998]
Dave
cross-country rider

OVERALL

The jamis diablo was second bike. I upgraded from my entry level Nishiki Colorado back in April '95. I still ride it to this day! Harder than ever.
It's the type of bicycle that you keep and upgrade each piece around the frame.
Current setup:
XTR rear derailler, and wheels.
XT Rapidfires and V-Brakes
'96 Judy SL with speedsprings
World Class BB with Sugino Mighty 900 Cranks
Dean Ti seatpost
Control Tech Stem and Avocet Ti saddle
Needless to say this thing JUMPS.
Sadly, It's time to move on...
Next frame ...KHS Team with OX Gold Tubing

[Jan 29, 1998]
Timothy White
cross-country rider

OVERALL

This Jamis is the first real bike I have ever bought. On the advice of my local bike shop (The
Bicycle Post) I purchased the bike. Boy, was he right. This bike does everything a bike should
and more. It handles well, is fairly light, for a steel frame, and the component selection is a
perfect match to this level of bike. I was riding a Specialized Hardrock, a decent bike, but a
huffy when compared to the jamis. The only complaint I have is with the front shock. It isn't
Jamis' fault though. It came with a Rockshox Indy XC. It was fine for the first two or three
months, but then it became anoying. It is just to bouncy. So I worked a swap with the local
bike shop (support your local!!) for a '97 model Manitou SX. Now I am a happy camper.
Kudos to Jamis!!

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.