GT STS-2 Bike 1998 or Older

[Jul 22, 1997]
Keith Yan
downhiller

OVERALL

The STS2 is a great bike, and for the money it's even better. The 97 STS is a HUGE improvement over the 96 non-adjustable frame only model. It's perfact for free-riders, it climbs good and when you point it downhill, you are going to burn up the fire road! Getting 3.5 or 5 inches of back wheel travel it's enough to please any one from a XC rider to a full blown DHer. Components are top for the price, the LX V's work really well with the XT levers, but I've switched the XTR V's which I like better. While the bike is ace, the fork is a total disapointment. The Judy C was CRAP!!!! I tried so hard to get the frok going, but still only managed to get like 2 inches of travel max! Then the cartdige sceal blew (what's new!) in the second week of riding. So I switched to a RST MOZO XL. Stiff fork for the start, but once you get it broken in, it's sweet! You may want to switch the rims if you are a heavy rider.Four stars: for the frame
Four stars: for the components
trash can: for the fork

[May 01, 1999]
Hal Shennan
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

The main strengths of the bike are its plush suspension and wicked looks.

Both me and my friend cracked our downtubes just behind the headset, however we both had our frames replaced pretty quickly for STS 1000 DS. The judys are also pretty crap.

If it wasn't for GT replacing my cracked frame for a new one this bike would have been a disaster, but as they did I am pretty happy, especially as the 1000 Ds has better geometry except for the tiny amount of seatpost ajustment.

[May 23, 1998]
Mark Ohashi

OVERALL

A nice bike with good rear suspension design. After the first mud bath the suspension bushings started squeaking. I installed the GT sealed cartridge bearing kit. I would not recommend trying this at home. Thermoplastic STS frames do not have a clamp type top link front pivot. I machined a new pivot spindle a few thousandths larger than the one in the kit and pressed it in. No more squeaks and stiction is not a problem anymore. Unfortunately this bike comes with a Judy C fork. A Manitou X-vert or Z-1 will be the next upgrade. Have a great ride!

[Sep 29, 2000]
Antonio Castellanos

OVERALL
Strength:

I Like the suspension, its very durable & can tackle anything. I like the back suspension because its ajustable for going up hill or down hill. Very good XT Shimano components.

Squeeks sometimes.

I dont see why the GT STS-2 Got such bad reviews, its a very good frame & unless you jump of a 12 foot roof with it the frame wont crack. These guys must have beat it up alot to do such damage.

[Jun 24, 1998]
John Hageman

OVERALL

I have ridden an ST and they can have it back. The rear suspension is the most stupid looking rear suspension I have seen. It looks like it came off a model A Ford. Motorcycles have had mono shocks for years and they work and look a whole lot better. Come on guys, look around .

[Jun 12, 1998]
John Donjoian

OVERALL

I love the bike. But, I have a bit of technical information for all owners:The rear shock length end to end must be 107-112mm unloaded. The consequence of going out of this range is the shock will probably blow a seal. This is according to GT.
Not published in the manual.

[Jun 14, 1998]
shinatro master ninja warrior

OVERALL

I bought the bike about 2 months ago after some abuse the frame broke just behind the headset. After consulting with GT supplier they replaced the frame with a 1000DS '98. This frame is much better, besides not braking on me, it is extremely stiff and fairly light. Besides having the best looking frame out there it can take alot of abuse than the sts-2 frame. Problem that i have encountered but easilly rectified are: seat post squeaky, rer shock did not smothly travel in its full travel.Shock was replaced for the '98 for free.
other than that it is am excellent product. well done GT
ps. Throw away the judys and lx brakes they are not up to the spec of the frame. If you keep them you are not getting the full use out of the frame and you are wasting your money. Go Hanebrinks and hope brakes. Most important find the steepest hill and thrash the shit out of it and go of 6 foot jumps , it can take it.. 4 stars for frame, 3 for components, 0 for fork.

[Apr 11, 1998]
Mike McDonald

OVERALL

I have a 97 STS. I can't believe how well it works. It pedals like a hardtail and climbs even better. I bought it as a frame only, and I built it with very light stuff. I ended up with a total weight of 26.5 lbs, with heavy spin wheels. The frame is fairly heavy, but I have no complaints with the suspension or geometry.

[Mar 09, 1998]
shintaro ninja warrior

OVERALL

i have just bought an sts2 and want to know from other owners whar sort of things that needs to be looked at first. I was thinking of upgrading to Rock Shox DH, and full XTR components. Does anyone know why they do not recomend to put a triple fork on the frame?. When the 98 models have the same looking frame

[Jan 13, 1998]
Jorge Peperonni
racer

This bike have a very nice look, but need to be inproved. I had one for 5
months, such bike end with a fissure in the front, located in the down tube.
Now I Know that it is ( or Was ) a common problem in this model.
Fortunately GT is a very responsible company that changed the STS2 by a new LTS Bike. Now I am a very happy LTS owner. LTS is the best bike in the world for dual purpose racer.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.